Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What happens to debts in UK when moving to Canada?

What happens to debts in UK when moving to Canada?

Old Oct 28th 2014, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What happens to debts in UK when moving to Canada?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It is possible to obtain an CCJ while not being a resident of England or Wales. The only real difficulty for the creditor is serving the debtor with the documents. Once that is achieved, the creditor can proceed against the debtor quite easily.
Does this apply to agreements made under the Consumer Credit Act though?
Old Oct 28th 2014, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Blimey - just scanned it and none the wiser! Is Canada out of Jurisdiction or not? I couldn't see it on the list. So does that serving papers for an individual to appear in Court to face a debt hearing (or whatever the correct term is) have to be served in person?
Canada is outside of the jurisdiction. The jurisdiction is England and Wales.

If you scroll to the bottom, you will see that, if a person is served in Canada, they have 22 days to respond.

It is best practice to serve anybody, in any jurisdiction, personally. That way, the Court can be assured that they knew of the proceedings.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
Does this apply to agreements made under the Consumer Credit Act though?
I suspect it makes no difference, unless one wishes to argue that the agreement itself is invalid. The only issue for the Court to determine is: Is the amount claimed owed?

Why do you think it wouldn't apply?
Old Oct 28th 2014, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
Sorry for going off topic but just remembered this, about 6 yrs ago, a mate from the UK called me and told me to Google my name, so I did and got, my name and
"This bastard is running round Thailand with Ladyboys and new false teeth while letting his ex-wife & child starve. If you know where he is, let me know or kill him."
Old Oct 28th 2014, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

I suspect it makes no difference, unless one wishes to argue that the agreement itself is invalid. The only issue for the Court to determine is: Is the amount claimed owed?

Why do you think it wouldn't apply?
That the contract between lender and borrower is under UK law. A Canadian court wouldn't be able to hear it.

May be different for big businesses that borrow / lend outside of the CCA.

I concede though (genuinely), it seems you are the expert. Just offering my two cents
Old Oct 28th 2014, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That the contract between lender and borrower is under UK law. A Canadian court wouldn't be able to hear it.

May be different for big businesses that borrow / lend outside of the CCA.

I concede though (genuinely), it seems you are the expert. Just offering my two cents
It appears that you are confusing the two processes. First, the creditor applies for a judgment in England. That is obtained - so the Court accepts that the debt is owed (after a trial or by default). The creditor can then use the enforcement provisions in England to try to get paid.

If the debtor then moves outside of England and Wales, the creditor then applies to have the English judgment recognised in the jurisdiction in which the debtor now lives. Let's say that is Canada.

The creditor simply applies to have the English judgment registered in the appropriate Province. If s/he is successful, the creditor now has judgments for the same debt in England and a Canadian Province. The creditor can now use the enforcement provision of that Province to try to get paid. The court in Canada does not care how the debt was incurred (as that has been determined by the English Court) it simply provides a mechanism for enforcement within that particular Province.

Hopefully, this makes sense.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

It appears that you are confusing the two processes. First, the creditor applies for a judgment in England. That is obtained - so the Court accepts that the debt is owed (after a trial or by default). The creditor can then use the enforcement provisions in England to try to get paid.

If the debtor then moves outside of England and Wales, the creditor then applies to have the English judgment recognised in the jurisdiction in which the debtor now lives. Let's say that is Canada.

The creditor simply applies to have the English judgment registered in the appropriate Province. If s/he is successful, the creditor now has judgments for the same debt in England and a Canadian Province. The creditor can now use the enforcement provision of that Province to try to get paid. The court in Canada does not care how the debt was incurred (as that has been determined by the English Court) it simply provides a mechanism for enforcement within that particular Province.

Hopefully, this makes sense.
That's a great explanation thanks.

In light of this, my original comment that a creditor is unable to obtain a judgement (and so start the process) against a non-resident, is correct?

I don't disagree that you can be pursued in Canada for a debt, my understanding is that in order for this to happen, the judgement had to be made against you while you were in England or Wales, prior to moving away.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's a great explanation thanks.

In light of this, my original comment that a creditor is unable to obtain a judgement (and so start the process) against a non-resident, is correct?

I don't disagree that you can be pursued in Canada for a debt, my understanding is that in order for this to happen, the judgement had to be made against you while you were in England or Wales, prior to moving away.
No, it's incorrect. It is possible to start proceedings against a person not resident in England in England and serve them with the proceedings wherever they live in the world.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

No, it's incorrect. It is possible to start proceedings against a person not resident in England in England and serve them with the proceedings wherever they live in the world.
Thanks.

This seems to contradict the justice.gov.uk site, which has a page citing the rules for those wishing to start a claim

PRACTICE DIRECTION 7C – PRODUCTION CENTRE - Civil Procedure Rules

Claims which may not be issued through the Centre

2.1 The Centre will not issue any claim form which is to be issued in the High Court.

2.2 The Centre will only issue a claim form if the claim is for a specified sum of money less than £100,000.

2.3 The Centre will not issue any of the following types of claim –

(1) a claim against more than two defendants;

(2) a claim against two defendants where a different sum is claimed against each of them;

(3) a claim against the Crown;

(4) a claim for an amount in a foreign currency;

(5) a claim where either party is known to be a child or protected party within Part 21;

(6) a claim where the claimant is a legally assisted person within the meaning of the Legal Aid Act 1988;

(7) a claim where the claimant’s address for service as it appears on the claim form is not in the United Kingdom;

(7A) a claim where the defendant's address for service as it appears on the claim form is not in England and Wales;
(8) a claim which is to be issued under Part 8.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 11:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

This seems to contradict the justice.gov.uk site, which has a page citing the rules for those wishing to start a claim

2.1 The Centre will not issue any claim form which is to be issued in the High Court.

2.2 The Centre will only issue a claim form if the claim is for a specified sum of money less than £100,000.

(2) a claim against two defendants where a different sum is claimed against each of them;

(5) a claim where either party is known to be a child or protected party within Part 21;

(6) a claim where the claimant is a legally assisted person within the meaning of the Legal Aid Act 1988;

(7) a claim where the claimant’s address for service as it appears on the claim form is not in the United Kingdom;

(7A) a claim where the defendant's address for service as it appears on the claim form is not in England and Wales;
What's the "PRODUCTION CENTRE"? It doesn't seem to be the only mechanism by which claims may be started as this is a list of claims it doesn't deal with.

In any case, all this focus on evading one's obligations when moving to Canada fails to consider the possibility of wanting to return to the UK. It'd be a bugger to go just to watch the Cup Final and to have your tickets seized because you still haven't paid that Barclaycard bill.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Very true dbd. One never knows what may come about. My initial reaction when I was chased for that disputed 14 quid was 'screw them'. However I got to thinking that if I ever move back to the UK, my credit rating could well have been compromised by such a small sum. I did not feel the principle I was holding to was worth future agrivation on returning. As the old saying goes, life is compromise.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
What's the "PRODUCTION CENTRE"? It doesn't seem to be the only mechanism by which claims may be started as this is a list of claims it doesn't deal with.

In any case, all this focus on evading one's obligations when moving to Canada fails to consider the possibility of wanting to return to the UK. It'd be a bugger to go just to watch the Cup Final and to have your tickets seized because you still haven't paid that Barclaycard bill.
The Production Centre, I believe, is Northampton County Court, which is where the majority of CCJ's relating to unpaid balances on finance taken out under the Consumer Credit Act, originate.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 1:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The Production Centre, I believe, is Northampton County Court, which is where the majority of CCJ's relating to unpaid balances on finance taken out under the Consumer Credit Act, originate.
Then doesn't it follow that, if you were pursuing someone for a debt and their address for service wasn't in the United Kingdom, you just wouldn't do it in Northampton?

I would have thought that the debtor having fled the country would mean that the case was not among the majority of cases. If you were in Northampton, you might have to go to Milton Keynes or even Watford, but then the majority of creditors aren't in Northampton to begin with.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks.

The Production Centre was not in existence when I stopped working as a solicitor in England in 2007. It appears to simply be an alternative way to commence proceedings. The Rules regarding commencing a claim are contained in Part 7: Part 7. I can assure you that this permit the Defendant to reside outside of the jurisdiction.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by macadian
Very true dbd. One never knows what may come about. My initial reaction when I was chased for that disputed 14 quid was 'screw them'. However I got to thinking that if I ever move back to the UK, my credit rating could well have been compromised by such a small sum. I did not feel the principle I was holding to was worth future agrivation on returning. As the old saying goes, life is compromise.
eccept that after 6 years or so, the credit companies don;t report on old debts so you would probably have a good rating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.