Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What happened to acts of kindness

What happened to acts of kindness

Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happened to acts of kindness

Originally Posted by dboy
Ok against my better judgments I shall bite. I child of 7 years of age cannot legally commit an offence as the age of responsability is 12 years of age. Moreover, if one lacks the mental capacity, as it appears is the case here, there is no criminal offence as there is no mens rea, which is the most elementary factor, in addition to actus rea, of an offence. I could also not say with my hand on my heart that the child meant any real ill will.

Had the police been called, we most likely would have attended, and deferred the matter to the minstry. It really is not a police matter. Children are not miniture adults, far from it, less so if they have developmental/mental challenges.

The entire premise of the Youth Criminal Justice Act views children not as small adults, but developing souls who need adult guidance and support. The age of 12 is viewed as the bare minimum where the child is viewed as having had enough exposure to the world to be able to know right from wrong and thus can be held accountable for any actions they may take.

I think you are missing the point as I read the OP as being more disgruntled with the lack of support of other parents, rather than the incident itself or the way in which it was dealt with.
Calling the cops on a 7 y.o. special needs kid? ffs, I've heard some things. Mind you, even tho CC is probably taking the piss, there was a poster on here who claimed she did just that because somebody was smoking on their balcony and she could smell it.

Last edited by Alan2005; Jan 16th 2011 at 7:26 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:35 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Calling the cops on a 7 y.o. special needs kid? ffs, I've heard some things. Mind you, even tho CC is probably taking the piss, there was a poster on here who claimed she did just that because somebody was smoking on their balcony and she could smell it.
you'd be amazed at some of the things we get called to and the expectations of some complainants. I attended an egging once (some eggs thrown as someone's front window), where the complainant had the egg shells, demaned CSI for fingerprints and DNA and wanted all CCTV cameras to be checked in the area to see who was buying eggs. |He also wanted a surveillance team on his residence in case the blighters came back.

I drove once around the block instead.

It seems laughable, but when you consider the paperwork that comes along with this in addtion to the attendance, it is probably something like 1.5 - 2 hours. Imagine if we attend two or three of these a night, which sometimes we do, and that's half the shift gone.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

you'd be amazed at some of the things we get called to and the expectations of some complainants. I attended an egging once (some eggs thrown as someone's front window), where the complainant had the egg shells, demaned CSI for fingerprints and DNA and wanted all CCTV cameras to be checked in the area to see who was buying eggs. |He also wanted a surveillance team on his residence in case the blighters came back.

I drove once around the block instead.

It seems laughable, but when you consider the paperwork that comes along with this in addtion to the attendance, it is probably something like 1.5 - 2 hours. Imagine if we attend two or three of these a night, which sometimes we do, and that's half the shift gone.
My brother has had his house egged at least 6 times. His house is situated in a way where they can whip the eggs and take off quickly, which is why it's a target. He doesn't bother calling the cops...what will they do when the kids are long gone?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Ok against my better judgments I shall bite. I child of 7 years of age cannot legally commit an offence as the age of responsability is 12 years of age. Moreover, if one lacks the mental capacity, as it appears is the case here, there is no criminal offence as there is no mens rea, which is the most elementary factor, in addition to actus rea, of an offence. I could also not say with my hand on my heart that the child meant any real ill will.

Had the police been called, we most likely would have attended, and deferred the matter to the minstry. It really is not a police matter. Children are not miniture adults, far from it, less so if they have developmental/mental challenges.

The entire premise of the Youth Criminal Justice Act views children not as small adults, but developing souls who need adult guidance and support. The age of 12 is viewed as the bare minimum where the child is viewed as having had enough exposure to the world to be able to know right from wrong and thus can be held accountable for any actions they may take.

I think you are missing the point as I read the OP as being more disgruntled with the lack of support of other parents, rather than the incident itself or the way in which it was dealt with.
Sincerely thanks for the explanation. In the same way as any child can be a danger to themselves or others, as a parent I have a responsibility to protect mine from dangers.

Am I the the only sane person left here? I cannot believe people here are more disgusted in my reaction than what happened to the OP's child. A willful attempted drowning of a 2 year old. I could shake some of you guys. WAKE UP!!!!!

What has been described here is way beyond the capabilities of a 7 year old, other than one whose behaviour is a clear and imminent threat to others. The fact that the child has "special needs" does not excuse what happened. I would absolutely have reacted in exactly the same way as the OP and would have called the police. The child should have had adequate supervision to avoid being a danger and menace to others. If their carer is incapable of protecting others and moderating the child's behaviour then someone capable should be appointed. And if everyone is trying to be too politically correct to do their job then the child should be locked up for the safety of themselves and others.

The reaction of the other parents witnessing this, is abhorrent though. They seemed more bothered by the OP's reaction than what actually happened. And that's the problem. Canadians seem to feel incredibly awkward and guilty around special needs and disabilities to the extent that they excuse anything and everything. Well I don't. For example if I'm on a bus and someone with special needs boards I don't immediately move away (although I've seen others do just this in Canada). However I wouldn't hesitate to get up and move if their behaviour made me uncomfortable. Both me and my wife have removed our children in such circumstances. We haven't made a big song and dance about it, but we have an obligation to protect our kids.

While the SN child cannot be held responsible (and I never suggested they would be), a child with such an extreme behaviour problem should have not been left unattended and ideally should not be near others without firm supervision. I'm in no way casting the net over EVERY special needs person. In fact most are more likely to become victims of others than visa versa. But in this case such a reaction is so extreme that it deeply concerns me to have heard this story, and more hearing the reactions of the onlooking parents that the OP mentione, and even more, the reaction of some here on BE forum.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
No the 7 year old isn't responsible but if their carer is incapable as is obviously the case here, the Ministry should remove the child and appoint an adequately qualified and capable carer. Really simple really. And I'm being deadly serious.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Am I the the only sane person left here?
er ...
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Acts of kindness alive and well in my neck of the wood: 2 examples from the last few days:

I came home from having fun on Saturday, after about 5 inches of snow fell during the day and I wasnt looking forward to clearing the driveway as I was pretty tired. Much to my joy a neighbour had already cleared it for me.

Went skating on the local mill pond with the kids. Very beautiful, but no facilities, and as always happens when the kids are bundled up one had to go pee. A total stranger overheard the conversation and said "Its OK, come over to my house and use the bathroom there", they lived over the street. Turned out to be a nice fella, and a new friend was made.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Went skating on the local mill pond with the kids. Very beautiful, but no facilities, and as always happens when the kids are bundled up one had to go pee. A total stranger overheard the conversation and said "Its OK, come over to my house and use the bathroom there", they lived over the street. Turned out to be a nice fella, and a new friend was made.

Good to know. Will they take seniors and what's the address?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Good to know. Will they take seniors and what's the address?
]

Indeed! Just goes to show, no act of kindness goes unpunished.....
Old Jan 17th 2011, 3:03 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

The reaction of the other parents witnessing this, is abhorrent though. They seemed more bothered by the OP's reaction than what actually happened.
Okay, just to attempt to inject some reality here...

FIrst of all you (and the OP, too) can't be sure what the other parents saw in a busy pool. You are both making a pretty big assumption. Maybe all they saw was her pushing the child off hers. If that's the case, their reaction makes total sense.

The fact is none of us know what really went down. The OP was obviously very distressed - not saying it didn't happen, but 2 sides etc. etc. If it had happened to me, I probably would have tried to track down the teachers and tell them what happened i.e. they need to supervise more closely. Stuff happens.

And I really don't buy that This Would Never Have Happened in the UK. Come On.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jan 17th 2011 at 3:08 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

This would have been extremely unlikely to happen anywhere else. Such a child as the "special needs" child here described should NOT be out in public. Anybody should be able to see that.

The response of the other parents is within the 90 percentile in Canada, and is abhorrent, and certainly no surprise to me. Again this would NEVER happen in UK. Never!

Some of the other respondents on this thread have been here so long they have lost their Britishness and quick to jump on giving me shit for pointing out facts which shall later become evident to the misery of new immigrants.
Are you for real or just enjoy shit stirring as your comments should really be treated with contempt. We live in a free world and whether people have special needs or not they have the right to experience normal life and feel part of the community. I do not agree with what the child did but I blame the supervisors more for not watching them not the child. I worked with special needs children and they are not malice they just don`t understand how their actions could be dangerous and sometimes if they have communications problems they can feel frustrated and lash out. Not that I am saying it is right but it really is down the the adults to keep their behaviour in check and act quickly before an event happens.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

This would have been extremely unlikely to happen anywhere else. Such a child as the "special needs" child here described should NOT be out in public. Anybody should be able to see that.

The response of the other parents is within the 90 percentile in Canada, and is abhorrent, and certainly no surprise to me. Again this would NEVER happen in UK. Never!

Some of the other respondents on this thread have been here so long they have lost their Britishness and quick to jump on giving me shit for pointing out facts which shall later become evident to the misery of new immigrants.
I can't believe I am reading this are you for real or maybe trying to wind people up.... do you have children of your own? what a horrible horrible thing to say, I sympathise with the mother who had this experience, but
I agree this CAN happen anywhere and I am in the UK, but you have come across so cold, these are people who quite possibly don't know what they are
doing, or may just thought they were playful and don't know their own strengh, do you really advocate going back to victorian times and locking
these kids and people away from society? I really hope not, handled properly even an incident like that can be dealt with properly and humanly. I sincerely hope you never have the experience of having a special needs child
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

I wonder if it's more to do with embarrassment on the parents/ carers part, and ignorance as to how to deal with the situation properly?
We were at Marineland in Niagara a couple of years ago, standing still in a group watching the killer whales, when a Downs syndrome boy standing next to my 4 year old (at the time) daughter punched her in the nose (with an audible crunch and causing floods of blood and tears), for absolutely no reason.
The father standing beside his son just grabbed him and ran, with no 'sorry' to us and barely even glanced at my daughter.
We were horrified, as much by the father's behaviour as the child's, but we came to the conclusion that he was just embarrassed and didn't know what to say.
I don't know if that helps, but it might give another perspective on the OP's experience.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcar
I wonder if it's more to do with embarrassment on the parents/ carers part, and ignorance as to how to deal with the situation properly?
We were at Marineland in Niagara a couple of years ago, standing still in a group watching the killer whales, when a Downs syndrome boy standing next to my 4 year old (at the time) daughter punched her in the nose (with an audible crunch and causing floods of blood and tears), for absolutely no reason.
The father standing beside his son just grabbed him and ran, with no 'sorry' to us and barely even glanced at my daughter.
We were horrified, as much by the father's behaviour as the child's, but we came to the conclusion that he was just embarrassed and didn't know what to say.
I don't know if that helps, but it might give another perspective on the OP's experience.
OMG that is really terrible and has made me think I can't believe the father ran away without checking your child was ok, and going to the hospital to ensure this, if a special needs child is prone to having a violent nature, I know I would only take mine at a quietier time and certainly keep them at arms length from other people, so they could not reach if they lashed out. It is a terrible perdiciment, to keep these children away from soiciety does not work either. What a terrible experience for your daughter and I hope she is ok. My friend has a downs son, they live in Geneva, they are originally from London, they wanted to go back to England but she said the facilities and help she got in Geneva just did'nt allow it, as Martin was in special school, taken away for a week in the winter skiing, taught to work, and look after himself. He is now a man and works at a supermarket, but I don't know enough about the different natures of these children to comment. Martin was obviously a calmer person. I feel sorry for the parents as well, as it is so hard for them especially if they are violent, I don't know how I would get on
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

dear dear.

This stuff happens all over the world, with the 'culprits' both sn and NT kids, honestly. In the OP's situation, I would have spoken to the pool staff and asked them to discuss levels of supervision with the school. Or called the principal of the school myself if I knew which special school it was, to review their supervision policy on outside trips. Honestly, the rest of it (the 'dreadful' reaction of the gallery etc) is just the usual reaction to the 'horror' that is sn/ any situation involving a stranger that might involve me getting off my butt, - if I ignore it long enough, it might go away.
It's not a comment on canadian society, it's not a comment on sn children/ schools or carers, and it's not a comment on West Van.

CC's attitude is a comment on nothing but him(?)self. There but for the grace of God, and all that.

Hope you meet some likely friends soon, OP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.