Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What good quality hair straighteners are available in Canada

What good quality hair straighteners are available in Canada

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default What good quality hair straighteners are available in Canada

Hi all especially the girlies,
Landed a week ago and need a pair of good quality hair straighteners. Had GHD straighteners in the uk but sold them prior to moving. What are a good replacement for my beloved GHD's as I'm not sure GHD's are widely available here.

We are in Vancouver BTW

Thanks in advance.

Lns
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 4:13 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What good quality hair straighteners are available in Canada

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
Landed a week ago and need a pair of good quality hair straighteners. Had GHD straighteners in the uk but sold them prior to moving. What are a good replacement for my beloved GHD's as I'm not sure GHD's are widely available here.

We are in Vancouver BTW

Thanks in advance.

Lns
I bought GHD's in Calgary - you should be able to get them in Vancouver too.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought FHI's and they are awesome!!!
I think I paid $120 for them, but they have already lasted me 5 years?
They have a variable heat setting too!
Welcome to Canada!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Vancouver BTW

Thanks in advance.

Lns
You can go onto their website and get a pair delivered worldwide I think. It's a Shame you didn't post before selling them because if you had a pair of Mark IVs they can be used over there with a normal converter and they heat up as quick as they do at home. (I've done it in the states and in Canada). Apparently the newer models of these have a 2 way pin within the plug that you can convert to use in USA - or so my hairdresser says -not sure if that's true and haven't tried it myself.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
You can go onto their website and get a pair delivered worldwide I think. It's a Shame you didn't post before selling them because if you had a pair of Mark IVs they can be used over there with a normal converter and they heat up as quick as they do at home. (I've done it in the states and in Canada). Apparently the newer models of these have a 2 way pin within the plug that you can convert to use in USA - or so my hairdresser says -not sure if that's true and haven't tried it myself.
I thought long and hardbabout bringing them, but I had them for 7 years and thought I may as well get a new pair for over here. I got £51 for them on eBay so not much lost.
Thanks for all the advice :-)

Lns
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 2:08 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My Hairdresser uses GHD's both my daughter and I use the cheap ones from Winners....
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I thought long and hardbabout bringing them, but I had them for 7 years and thought I may as well get a new pair for over here. I got £51 for them on eBay so not much lost.
Thanks for all the advice :-)

Lns
Well if you've had them that long I think you deserve a new pair!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light

I use my GHD's with an adaptor plug...they work just fine!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

C.westoby is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen GHD's in Saphora but they were $270. Which is a lot more expensive than the UK. The GHD's from the UK come with duel voltage now and I bought mine there and brought them over and just use a uk - us plug adapter and they work perfectly.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.westoby
I've seen GHD's in Saphora but they were $270. Which is a lot more expensive than the UK. The GHD's from the UK come with duel voltage now and I bought mine there and brought them over and just use a uk - us plug adapter and they work perfectly.
Buy some UK dual voltage ones, then you just need an adaptor not a transformer. That's the way to go.
Love my GHDs. Though CHI ones are not too bad over here.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:08 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

I sold my beloved 7 year GHDs on ebay for £50 last December before we moved and bought a new pair of dual voltage before we left the UK. They work great with a travel adapter.

I've seen the same model in a store at Cross Iron Mills, Calgary for over $250.

My hairdresser uses CHI flat irons which look pretty similar to GHDs.My hair has never been better since we moved here as it's so dry, I just do a very quick straighten and I'm good to go. Frizzy hair is a thing of the past now apart from when we go to the Banff Hot Springs, lol.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

sarah.h is an unknown quantity at this point

where can i get the transformer please i am in cloverdale,surrey area, my ghd doesn't work with the adaptor, please help
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

rebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same problem! I was recommended CHI straighteners by a hairdresser over here so bought some and they are near enough the same as GHD's. I have very wavy hair naturally and they make my hair pin straight. I bought them from a Chatters outlet in White Rock if that helps, they were $150 but were limited edition with swarovski crystals and a matching heat mat... really good deal, definately go to an outlet as they are much cheaper!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

craigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant future

I bought CHI straighteners too when I got here as when I tried to use the GHD's I brought with me they just didn't heat up the same. I paid around $120 for my CHI ones and they are just as good as GHD. The only difference I can see is that the CHI ones are a bit lighter in weight.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Shaun_and_Em is an unknown quantity at this point

Not in Canada yet but I also have FHI's in the UK, they are just as good as GHD's at half the price!! I had GHD's for 4 years and they broke (dog chewed them up) and so I brought these about a year ago and I'm really impressed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.