British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What Foods Do You Miss From The UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-foods-do-you-miss-uk-768092/)

Londonuck Aug 14th 2012 8:50 pm

Re: What Foods Do You Miss From The UK?

Originally Posted by __TJ__ (Post 10225281)
im groaning already about the lack of decent gravy powder ( my family loves the stuff and ive tried all the ones without garlic in that we found in canada and they just dont add up)

small price to pay tho...:thumbsup:

Use a roasting bag for beef with a couple of sticks of celery, onion and a carrot and maybe a glug of red wine. The juices at the end are superb and make excellent gravy.

They have bisto here.

Animal Aug 14th 2012 8:57 pm

I would normaly use Bisto powder to make a gravy from the meat juices (after skimming off any fat)

If you haven't got any bisto pour the juices in a pan, heat them up and add some red wine or port. Bubble hard to burn off any alcohol but it adds to the flavour. Add some cornflour (plain flour can be used) and a little water from the carrots or other veg you have on (not potatoes as they are full of starch).

Keep stirring well and you'll be good to go.

My wife sometimes puts some silverskin pickled onions in the roating tin with the beef too - They come out gorgeous

el_richo Aug 14th 2012 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Animal (Post 10227447)
It's not time on your hands .....

Bollocks

jaminsk1 Aug 15th 2012 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10227029)
Lots of foods dont have every ingredient listed thats why we have those warnings about may contain nuts.
Well its either got them in it or it doesnt :lol:

Is that really the case in Canada? Are you sure not every ingredient has to be listed? I am pretty sure in the UK they do.

My son has a peanut allergy and we were told by the allergist that the reason for the nuts warning is usually down to there being products being prepared in the same processing plant that contain nuts and they cannot be 100% sure that some instruments haven't been cross contaminated.

With respect to the gravy - I read somewhere that it may be down to some flavourings coming from bone marrow.

Former Lancastrian Aug 15th 2012 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by jaminsk1 (Post 10229002)
Is that really the case in Canada? Are you sure not every ingredient has to be listed? I am pretty sure in the UK they do.

My son has a peanut allergy and we were told by the allergist that the reason for the nuts warning is usually down to there being products being prepared in the same processing plant that contain nuts and they cannot be 100% sure that some instruments haven't been cross contaminated.

With respect to the gravy - I read somewhere that it may be down to some flavourings coming from bone marrow.

After reading this you tell me if all ingredients are listed;)

Prepackaged multi-ingredient foods require an ingredient list, with the following exceptions:
•Prepackaged products packed from bulk at retail (except for mixed nuts and meat products packed by a retailer which contain phosphate salts and/or water: these products do require an ingredient list);
•Prepackaged individual portions of food served with meals or snacks by restaurants, airlines, etc. (e.g., coffee creamers, ketchup, etc.);
•Prepackaged individual servings of food prepared by commissaries and sold in mobile canteens or vending machines;
•Prepackaged meat, poultry and poultry meat by-products barbecued, roasted or broiled on the retail premises; and
•Standardized alcoholic beverages and vinegars.

In general, ingredients must be listed in descending order of proportion by weight, as determined before they are combined to make the food. The exceptions are spices, seasonings and herbs (except salt), natural and artificial flavours, flavour enhancers, food additives, and vitamin and mineral nutrients and their derivatives or salts, which may be shown at the end of the ingredient list in any order. The ingredient list must be shown in both English and French unless otherwise exempted by the Food and Drug Regulations [B.01.012].

julescg Aug 16th 2012 7:33 pm

I think I'm quite spoilt here in Halifax, NS. We have a shop called Pete's Frootique an ex-pat from Nottingham and he sells lots of English products! Yesterday I got Tunnocks Teacakes and Vimto!!!

It's squash/cordial I miss the most, am a little fed up of drinking plain water and would love a glass of Orange Lemon and Pinapple!!!

We also have a cracking sweet shop so I can get lots of the cadbury's bars that they don't sell in the normal shops - woo hoo Wispa's and Double Deckers!!

However I am go to be missing curries! My local 'curry' house does about 5 menu options - Butter chicken being the best, but I do miss my Kaghani curry!