British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What Foods Do You Miss From The UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-foods-do-you-miss-uk-768092/)

Former Lancastrian Aug 13th 2012 4:48 pm

Re: What Foods Do You Miss From The UK?

Originally Posted by jimmydean (Post 10225212)
Anything savoury from Greggs :)

With a user name like yours are you sure its not sausages :lol:

Hollands steak puddings and pies.

__TJ__ Aug 13th 2012 5:14 pm

im groaning already about the lack of decent gravy powder ( my family loves the stuff and ive tried all the ones without garlic in that we found in canada and they just dont add up)

small price to pay tho...:thumbsup:

cheeky_monkey Aug 13th 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10225012)
And why is British Beef banned from Canada ? :lol:

is there a punch line here?

Simon Legree Aug 13th 2012 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10225433)
is there a punch line here?

There is. It's called Mad Cow disease !

Almost Canadian Aug 13th 2012 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Legree (Post 10225556)
There is. It's called Mad Cow disease !

Isn't Canada 20 years behind the UK with that disease as well?:p

Simon Legree Aug 13th 2012 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10225559)
Isn't Canada 20 years behind the UK with that disease as well?:p

Oh no. We are at least 25 years behind, or so I'm told ! :p

dgagitw Aug 14th 2012 1:12 am

Originally Posted by __TJ__ (Post 10225281)
im groaning already about the lack of decent gravy powder ( my family loves the stuff and ive tried all the ones without garlic in that we found in canada and they just dont add up)

small price to pay tho...:thumbsup:

I've bought British spec Bisto gravy powder in Metro in Toronto. I've also bought what I think must be a north american variant made by the same company which is paler (still makes the gravy nice and brown though) and it certainly doesn't have garlic powder in it.

__TJ__ Aug 14th 2012 6:47 am

the only one i could find at save on, the beef one was ok but the chicken did have garlic in it Blergh! ( im allergic) its more that its powdered and i cant make it from powder, i have to get the blender out every time, i know im useless! but i love granules. truly lazy way of doing it...

and i cant bring any in cos it has beef render in it. :huh:

Jane Barlow Aug 14th 2012 9:58 am

We took a load of bisto over when we went out in May - are you saying it's not allowed?! Didn't have any probs through immigration!

__TJ__ Aug 14th 2012 11:10 am

i asked and was told its not allowed, but looking on the pack i cant see anything contentious... wish id known id have booked more luggage ;)

Former Lancastrian Aug 14th 2012 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jane Barlow (Post 10226588)
We took a load of bisto over when we went out in May - are you saying it's not allowed?! Didn't have any probs through immigration!

Immigration doesnt deal with Bisto Customs does;)
According to the CFIA AIRS link
http://inspection.gc.ca/plants/impor...1300127627409#

Bisto gravy powder or similar are to be REFUSED entry. Now if the BSO isnt specifically looking for it then ok but be careful how you answer the question on the declaration card about meat products. If you tick NO and they find it then dont be bitching if they give you a travellers AMPS penalty which could be up to a $1000 or more.

scrubbedexpat133 Aug 14th 2012 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by dgagitw (Post 10224658)
Don't eat them myself, but I'm told that these guys do a good one if you're ever over the border in Buffalo:

http://www.englishporkpiecompany.com/

:ohmy: I wonder if they have truck parking!!!!!

Im calling my dispatcher to look for reefer pickups in the Buffalo area :D :scarper:

scrubbedexpat133 Aug 14th 2012 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10225012)
And why is British Beef banned from Canada ? :lol:

Erm they are not keen on competition??? :confused:

Does my answer set of the QI claxon?????? :D

Former Lancastrian Aug 14th 2012 2:54 pm

If we really want to get technical about meat imports into Canada from the UK then this is an exciting read
2.1. fresh meat and raw processed meat products (chilled or frozen):
2.1.1. all meat products derived from ruminants of British origin, including natural salted intestinal casings – Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) – importation not allowed
2.1.2. meat and meat products derived from pigs, including farmed wild boar – Food and Mouth Disease (FMD) – importation from Great Britain not allowed
2.1.3. meat and meat products derived from poultry and all other birds – no animal health restrictions
2.1.4. meat and meat products derived from rabbit – the country is not recognized by the CFIA** as being free from rabbit haemorrhagic disease – import not allowed
2.2. all processed meat products (heat treated and raw) , other than shelf stable commercially sterile meat products packaged in hermetically sealed containers (cans and/or retortable pouches) and shelf stable dried soup-mix products, bouillon cubes and meat extract:
2.2.1. all meat products derived from ruminants of British origin, including natural salted intestinal casings – BSE – importation not allowed
2.2.2. meat and meat products derived from pigs, including farmed wild boar – FMD – importation from Great Britain not allowed
2.2.3. meat and meat products derived from poultry and all other birds – no animal health restrictions
2.2.4. meat and meat products derived from rabbit – the country is not recognised by the CFIA** as being free from rabbit haemorrhagic disease – import not allowed
2.3. shelf stable commercially sterile meat products packaged in hermetically sealed containers (cans and/or retortable pouches) and shelf stable dried soup-mix products, bouillon cubes, meat extract:
2.3.1. all meat products derived from ruminants of British origin, including natural salted intestinal casings – BSE – importation not allowed
2.3.2. all other, non-ruminant derived meat products from CFIA** approved sources – no animal health restrictions

Alan2005 Aug 14th 2012 3:04 pm

The BSE thing is actually bollocks. There's more BSE in the US and Canada than in the UK now; it's just covered up well.

The banning of UK beef is a reciprocal gesture because the UK doesn't allow growth hormone in cattle. Not that it matters, there's practically no meat trade between the UK and Canada anyway so such bans are purely political.