Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what foods do u look forward to?

what foods do u look forward to?

Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what foods do u look forward to?

Originally Posted by dbd33
We have biscuits for breakfast if on days following those when drunkeness precluded the making of bread. Biscuits here, are scones in the UK.
I know that, was rather partial to biscuits and gravy down south...but since Huntley and Palmer are British and famous for dry crackers for cheese, I was intrigued to know what their version of a breakfast biscuit might be.

Edit: they are British, aren't they? I thought McCain was British until the other week...

Last edited by Biiiiink; Aug 18th 2005 at 3:14 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Sheila9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read some of the postings on this subject and would agree that Canada has a fantastic range of foods and supermarkets that surpass the UK (London) equivalent. However, as a London UK resident for 30+ years and a yearly visitor to Canada I would say that some foods have different taste formulations, e.g. chocolate is much sweeter in Canada and Coke tastes different as well. Some of these differences take a bit of getting used to....but the range and quality of Canadian food both in restaurants and supermarkets make this perhaps an irrelevant observation.....
I wish I could buy Velveeta cheese in the UK.......
Sheila9
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:32 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
What's a breakfast biscuit?
Now that is going to be difficult to describe. As I haven't seen one for over fourty years.

As I remember them they were about three inches in diameter and about half an inch thick. Very crispy but light with a slight savoury flavour. Tasted great (to me at least) with just a little butter on them. Similar to rusks I think but with a smoother exterior.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheila9
Sheila9
The aerosol version ? Try Fortnum's.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:54 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read some of the postings on this subject and would agree that Canada has a fantastic range of foods and supermarkets that surpass the UK (London) equivalent. However, as a London UK resident for 30+ years and a yearly visitor to Canada I would say that some foods have different taste formulations, e.g. chocolate is much sweeter in Canada and Coke tastes different as well. Some of these differences take a bit of getting used to....but the range and quality of Canadian food both in restaurants and supermarkets make this perhaps an irrelevant observation.....
Sheila9
I don't think that is something specific to Canada. Most of the well-known brands are adapted to suit local tastes and are often made locally. You will quite often come across something that sounds familiar but turns out to be entirely different to what you are expecting.

Cigarettes are a good example. If you buy a packet of Benson & Hedges in the UK, you know what you're getting. B&H in the USA are completely different (different tobacco, for start). Ditto Canada.

Coke is made all over the world. The parent company merely supplies the concentrate to bottlers. The resulting product will reflect the local water supply and local tastes (I imagine that some adaptation takes place).

Ketchup is another example. When I was last in the Middle East, the familiar Heinz Tomato Ketchup bottle had a label on it saying: "made in Egypt".

There are relatively few "food" items that are supplied worldwide from the same manufacturing plant. Most booze, other than beer brewed under licence, will be uniform; Walker's crisps probably come only from one place; there is only one Marmite well.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:56 pm

Coke tastes different as well.
Sheila9
As I understand it Coca Cola Inc. adjusts the flavour of "Coke" to local tastes.

One of the biggest surprises of my last trip to the UK was when ordering a "Coke" in a little hole in the wall cafe in Brighton I was given a can from the Coca Cola plant in Toronto.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
As I remember them they were about three inches in diameter and about half an inch thick. Very crispy but light with a slight savoury flavour. Tasted great (to me at least) with just a little butter on them. Similar to rusks I think but with a smoother exterior.
Sounds like Dutch Crispbakes ? Can you get those here, I haven't looked for them.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:11 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like Dutch Crispbakes ? Can you get those here, I haven't looked for them.
Yup. I think the brand name is Holland Rusk. I ate a pack of those once on a happyweed munch-out. I can't bear the sight of them

Old Aug 18th 2005, 9:36 pm

I know that, was rather partial to biscuits and gravy down south...but since Huntley and Palmer are British and famous for dry crackers for cheese, I was intrigued to know what their version of a breakfast biscuit might be.

Edit: they are British, aren't they? I thought McCain was British until the other week...
They are I think...I found this on a website about Huntley & Palmers

Huntley & Palmers Timeline 1975 to the present day

The Reading factory used as a location for the film Bugsy Malone

Biscuit production ends at Reading

Nabisco, North American based multinational, acquires Associated Biscuits Ltd

Huyton factory in Liverpool closes

Nabisco sells its UK biscuit companies including Huntley & Palmers, Peak Frean and Jacobs to BSN/Danone, a French food group

The end?
In 1991 the head office of the Jacob's Bakery move from King's Road to premises in Suttons Business Park. Jacob's stops producing biscuits under the Huntley & Palmers brand. Then, in 1996, Jacob's head office moves from Reading to Liverpool. But while H&P is no longer a Reading company, in 2004 the brand is relaunched after being sold by Danone to a new company.
Until today I thought that Huntley and Palmers had gone for good.

I know they are a British company but have no clue as to who owns them now. That ownership could be British or foreign.

Last edited by Hangman; Aug 18th 2005 at 9:38 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 9:46 pm

I just got back from a grocery shopping trip to Co-op.

Saw some Dutch Crispcakes, I don't think they are like my good old Breakfast biscuits. They are the right shape and size but they just look like dried round bread. Not at all as I remember Breakfast Biscuits.

Oh well as the young people say now-a-days "Sucks to be me".

Oh for anyone interested I did see some Marmite there 125ml jars imported from England $4.19.
And for any Aussies here they also had Vegemite 115ml jars $4.19

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Hangman; Aug 18th 2005 at 9:51 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Chester Copperpot is on a distinguished road

With Coke they change the amount of carbonation depending on local tastes. The Coke to try is from Holland as It's made with real sugar instead of corn syrup.

Also worth looking out for is the relaunch of the TEXAN bar though It is supposed to only be available until mid october so get It while you can.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They are the right shape and size but they just look like dried round bread.
That's the ones. I used to eat them in preference to the carbonised muck my old toaster spewed out. Ah well. It was worth a try. I'll add this to Instant Grits on the "Cannot be had in Canada" list...although if they'd can't be had in Britain anymore, do they count?

Hwp, wot, no kitkats?!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

That's the ones. I used to eat them in preference to the carbonised muck my old toaster spewed out. Ah well. It was worth a try. I'll add this to Instant Grits on the "Cannot be had in Canada" list...although if they'd can't be had in Britain anymore, do they count?

Hwp, wot, no kitkats?!
If you ever go to the US, stop at any grocery store and you can get instant grits in several different flavors. I prefer the cooked ones myself, but then I grew up in the land of grits (deep south). :-) I make a grocery run to Niagara Falls every month or so for stuff like that since it is only a 90 minute drive.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sysclp
If you ever go to the US, stop at any grocery store and you can get instant grits in several different flavors. I prefer the cooked ones myself, but then I grew up in the land of grits (deep south). :-) I make a grocery run to Niagara Falls every month or so for stuff like that since it is only a 90 minute drive.
I'm off to fetch the ingredients for cheese grits right now, from Lake City CO. It's a haul but they're good when you get 'em.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:50 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm off to fetch the ingredients for cheese grits right now, from Lake City CO. It's a haul but they're good when you get 'em.
That's what you call a serious food craving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.