Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what foods do u look forward to?

what foods do u look forward to?

Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: what foods do u look forward to?

Marmite - the food of the gods!! no problems getting this in Ontario. As for the rest!!! every now and then I get reminded of a good old english bacon butty, you can keep the peameal, no comparison, so now I'm hungry again after just having lunch. to top it all, someone mention maltesers aghhhh

You will always miss something in the food line, fo me it's bacon, maltesers and walnut whips - these are on the list when anyone comes over from UK; and maybe the odd english cheese .

Everything else and more is here, even wheetabix, branston, and pickled onions.

BTW. first time I ever had an English muffin was outside UK - never seen them before.....
Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brit_in_fizroy
Everything else and more is here, even wheetabix, branston, and pickled onions.
Can I use the bathroom before you tomorrow morning, please?

I came across Walnut Whips in a shop in Oakville last year. A bit disappointing. Either the recipe has changed since I was a kid or I have.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
As far as I am aware, Marmite in French is a big cooking pot.
Aha! Dead right - seems it was originally sold in a pot thingy and the shape of the current jar is a nod to that. Wikipedia: Marmite . Enjoy yours when it arrives.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Aha! Dead right - seems it was originally sold in a pot thingy and the shape of the current jar is a nod to that. Wikipedia: Marmite . Enjoy yours when it arrives.
I will try. Having it arrive with my mother may take away some of the joy.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

I will try. Having it arrive with my mother may take away some of the joy.
LOL
Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is coming to Regina, would they please go to somewhere that sells those huge bars of Cadbury's and bring me some. Clark's Village in Street has them cheap. English Cadbury's has totally put me off Canadian Cadbury's - it bears no resemblance.

Oh well, I lost about 35 lbs. before I went to England and I haven't put it back on again - probably due to the lack of English Cadbury's chocolate!!

But let me warn you - if you LOVE chocolate - then bring it with you - I don't know what they do to chocolate over here but its kind of gooey and gluey and it gums up my throat. My husband decided that English chocolate is crumbley and the stuff over here is greasy.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

I'm not a huge fan of milk chocolate so don't miss it too much.

Have you tried Bernard Callebaut's chocolate? His dark chocolate is excellent.

I'm not sure how far his chocolate makes it across the country.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

And, yes, I was talking about Marmite.
Have you tried looking in the baking section of the store next to the yeast for bread? That is where they hide it here.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Marmite - the food of the gods!! no problems getting this in Ontario. As for the rest!!! every now and then I get reminded of a good old english bacon butty, you can keep the peameal, no comparison, so now I'm hungry again after just having lunch.
They sell English style bacon at the Dominion grocery stores. Costs $5.99 for a rather small pack, but if you really want some you can get it. Just look in with the sandwich meat and cold cuts. Not the deli area but the part near the regular bacon and pea meal. It is made by Maple Leaf.

I am sure my friend's wife (from Yorkshire) will be taking several packages home with her next week when they come to visit. It is worse in Maryland where they live as far as being able to get the foods she misses. Apparely she has to pay $10 per 4oz jar for Marmite there. She took back quite a stash when they came up last year. :-)
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sysclp
They sell English style bacon at the Dominion grocery stores. Costs $5.99 for a rather small pack, but if you really want some you can get it. Just look in with the sandwich meat and cold cuts. Not the deli area but the part near the regular bacon and pea meal. It is made by Maple Leaf.
If I find some I owe you a beer
Old Aug 18th 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

If I find some I owe you a beer
From the Maple Leaf site:

"When you need consistently great tasting bacon, serve Maple Leaf Bacon. Our family of products includes Regular, Salt Reduced (with 33% less salt than Regular Bacon), Thick Cut Black Forest, English and Canadian Style Back Bacon and Breakfast Grill Turkey or Chicken Bacon.

Maple Leaf Bacon products are available across Canada at your local grocery store."

From personal experience, I find it more often at Dominion and Save-A-Centre stores than elsewhere.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by sysclp
Have you tried looking in the baking section of the store next to the yeast for bread? That is where they hide it here.
I have indeed. To no avail. Loblaws in Oakville had it in the ethnic foods section, if I recall.

Food tastes do vary across the country. I have similar problems getting tinned chilli. Loblaws and Wal-Mart sell some but I haven't seen Stagg Dynamite Hot anywhere up here.

Not to worry. Mother is bringing a large jar next week Brother is visting in October and I'm also going to the UK before the end of the year. I think I'll be sorted.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:12 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Foods I occasionally miss.

Huntley & Palmer's Breakfast biscuits, Chorley cakes, iced tea buns and fresh English tomatoes.

I understand Huntley & Palmer's doesn't even exist any more so I'm unlikely to ever get a Breakfast biscuit again.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

What's a breakfast biscuit?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
What's a breakfast biscuit?
We have biscuits for breakfast if on days following those when drunkeness precluded the making of bread. Biscuits here, are scones in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.