Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what foods do u look forward to?

what foods do u look forward to?

Old Aug 17th 2005, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all
Default Re: what foods do u look forward to?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Think toast and ........

BTW, muffins are illegal in Canada.
Que?

Do you mean "English Muffins"? Are they?

Muffins stuffed with Sakatoon Berries, choc chips etc are in plentiful supply.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
I would agree with the above. We use Superstore for bulk buying and Safeway for the day-to-day stuff.

Superstore has great variety and plenty of the names that Brits would recognise (Lea&Perrins, HP, Branston). One benefit of the larger houses here is that you can buy stuff in bulk. We bought a freeezer for the basement on sale that is "catering size". If meat or whatever is on sale, we bulk buy.

Safeway is at least as good, if not better, than the Sainsbury's store we used in London. They have a brand called "Safeway Select" which caters for more diverse tastes. Become a club-card member and then you can take advantage of many "buy 1 get 1 free offers".

BBQ'ing is a great way to cook. Especially when you can just walk out onto you deck and turn it on. Ours is located next to the kitchen door so we can use it year round (and no refills as it's on the main supply).

The only thing I think we've missed (well my son misses) is Ribena. You can get it here, it's just it's sold as it used to be in the UK as a health drink in little bottles which are expensive.

However, we've weened him onto Cranberrry juice which is in plentiful supply and probably contains less sugar.
cranberry juice is very good for u....maltesers? mushy peas?...marmalade? ive said that!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Think toast and ........

BTW, muffins are illegal in Canada.
illegal? why? ..so if i nnocently took my muffins with me, i could get locked up?
Old Aug 17th 2005, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Que?

Do you mean "English Muffins"? Are they?

Muffins stuffed with Sakatoon Berries, choc chips etc are in plentiful supply.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:01 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Patsy
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol
The shopping here is great, you can get absolutely everything you want; the bakery departments cause you to put on weight just standing there; the deli's are a delight. But, when all's said and done, the first thing I want when I go back to the UK is a decent bacon butty! Yes you can get good bacon here, but at a premium. Having said that, our bacon is very tasy when crisped - just don't eat it under-done. Oh, and I still love Marmite on toast, LOL!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know why I bother to try making jokes.

English muffins are available everywhere and Canadian muffins come in all shapes and flavours. They come in three sizes: two-bite size (rougly the size of a golf ball), normal (roughly the size of a tennis ball) and business-meeting (roughly the size of a mushroom-shaped basketball).

Standard practice, at least in business meetings, appears to be that you eat the top of the mushroom and leave the rest. I have no idea why.

And, yes, I was talking about Marmite.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

BBQ'ing is a great way to cook. Especially when you can just walk out onto you deck and turn it on. Ours is located next to the kitchen door so we can use it year round (and no refills as it's on the main supply).
Ha! A gas stove in the backyard is hardly a barbecue.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:24 pm

On the subject of BBQs, Loblaws are doing a seriously nice rack of lamb. It comes pre-packed in a garlic and rosemary marinade. Damn good on the barbie!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

English muffins are available everywhere and Canadian muffins come in all shapes and flavours. They come in three sizes: two-bite size (rougly the size of a golf ball), normal (roughly the size of a tennis ball) and business-meeting (roughly the size of a mushroom-shaped basketball).

Standard practice, at least in business meetings, appears to be that you eat the top of the mushroom and leave the rest. I have no idea why.

And, yes, I was talking about Marmite.
YUK! Marmite?! u cant get it over there?..not surprised..listen ive got a big fat unopened jar of it in my cupboard...bought it cos its free in slimming world (ah never mind u wouldnt understand) ..u can have it, if u want
ps the lamb sounds luvvly!!.......enuff of food now im moving on to fashion....
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:41 pm

YUK! Marmite?! u cant get it over there?..not surprised..listen ive got a big fat unopened jar of it in my cupboard...bought it cos its free in slimming world (ah never mind u wouldnt understand) ..u can have it, if u want
You can get it in Canada; just not in the bit where I live.

Fashion? Now we're really in trouble!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

You can get it in Canada; just not in the bit where I live.
What does the word "marmite" mean in french then? I just googled "marmite +quebec" and it wasn't yeasty spreads I was getting...
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
What does the word "marmite" mean in french then? I just googled "marmite +quebec" and it wasn't yeasty spreads I was getting...
As far as I am aware, Marmite in French is a big cooking pot. If I recall, the Marmite jar has a picture of such a pot on it and actually looks like one. I can't really remember; it's been too long.

Mother arriving from the U of K next week. She has her instructions. Marmite and Pimms.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Tisme will become famous soon enough

No, don't pass it on to Souvenir as he's got his MIL coming over. I'll have it.
A friend sent me some vegimite (sp?) from Oz last month. Can't get enough of the stuff.
Great thread about the food, btw. Having a right giggle here and a huge sigh of relief that I will be able to get my faves. Right then, fashion you say...?
I love Roots! Not fashion I know but I have simple tastes
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Tisme will become famous soon enough

Ah, don't stop with your humour please. I have a very sarcastic, dry sense of humour and understand yours completely. Brilliant!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tisme
No, don't pass it on to Souvenir as he's got his MIL coming over. I'll have it.
A friend sent me some vegimite (sp?) from Oz last month. Can't get enough of the stuff.
Great thread about the food, btw. Having a right giggle here and a huge sigh of relief that I will be able to get my faves. Right then, fashion you say...?
I love Roots! Not fashion I know but I have simple tastes
Vegemite can be found in Loblaw's/Superstore/lots-of-other-names-same-chain next to the Marmite. I haven't seen Purmite though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.