Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:18 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

Aaah, now if only I had known that yesterday when I was digging trenches in the garden for my new lights down the drive, I could have sneaked in some heating pipes Probably not a good idea to have lighting wire and pipes in the same trench though!

I would imagine the cost is prohibitive for most people on that - but what a thing to have - all the prettiness of snow and no shovelling. On my wish list for things to get if we ever win the lottery.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Just to make it clear I've never bothered to time a show either but I do download the odd one I miss when it airs, from Usenet and of course they come commercial free and run about 43 minutes on average.
Glad to hear it! I had visions of you sat there with a stopwatch to prove a point!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:20 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geedee
Glad to hear it! I had visions of you sat there with a stopwatch to prove a point!
I may be anally retentive but not THAT anally retentive.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

I watch Coronation Street.

It fits into a 19.5 minute time slot which would make it a 39 minute show. That is bad enough.

But to add insult to injury I see quite often that some brief segments which air in the UK are missing over here. They might represent only 15 - 30 seconds per show but it begs the question what will they do to squeeze in all those boring commercials and promos?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike

It fits into a 19.5 minute time slot which would make it a 39 minute show. That is bad enough.

But to add insult to injury I see quite often that some brief segments which air in the UK are missing over here. They might represent only 15 - 30 seconds per show but it begs the question what will they do to squeeze in all those boring commercials and promos?
There you go Steve.... that's about 50 / 50! Thanks for the proof, Monty!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Disclaimer to get me out of *h*t in advance: These are in no particular order, subjective, generalisations and relate to my experience in rural Nova Scotia and not intended to cause offense

Lurid colouring in cheese.
Lack of decent vegetarian food in supermarkets and many restaurants.
Crap tv.
The quantity and repetitiveness of mind numbing advertisements on tv.
Tacky bill board advertising signage on the sides of roads.
Alcohol drinking seems to have be driven underground and is especially frowned upon if women do it regularly.
Expensive wine
Lack of like minded university educated, sarcastic, cynical people with british sense of humours under the age of 50.
Deer baiting.
Exaggeration...NO it's not a beach, it's a patch of sand by a lake! Likewise, NO, I'm sorry it's not a park, it's a picnic bench by the side of the road!
Things take too long to get done.
Bad customer service.
Roadkill.
No on-off safety switches on plugs, and to repeat a previous poster..the way the lights flicker when you use more than one electrical appliance.
That it takes ages to boil a kettle.

I'm sure there are more....

Poor Annual Vacation Entitlement
The way the police stop me every two weeks and check my vehicle safety check thingy is in order but let prats zoom along country roads way too fast, and sometimes on their ATVs.
Which brings me to the lack of paths on the sides of roads in rural areas...

Last edited by h_henry; Oct 14th 2008 at 12:17 am. Reason: Add more whinges
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:43 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by h_henry
Disclaimer to get me out of *h*t in advance: These are in no particular order, subjective, generalisations and relate to my experience in rural Nova Scotia and not intended to cause offense

Lurid colouring in cheese.
Lack of decent vegetarian food in supermarkets and many restaurants.
Crap tv.
The quantity and repetitiveness of mind numbing advertisements on tv.
Tacky bill board advertising signage on the sides of roads.
Alcohol drinking seems to have be driven underground and is especially frowned upon if women do it regularly.
Expensive wine
Lack of like minded university educated, sarcastic, cynical people with british sense of humours under the age of 50.
Deer baiting.
Exaggeration...NO it's not a beach, it's a patch of sand by a lake! Likewise, NO, I'm sorry it's not a park, it's a picnic bench by the side of the road!
Things take too long to get done.
Bad customer service.
Roadkill.
No on-off safety switches on plugs, and to repeat a previous poster..the way the lights flicker when you use more than one electrical appliance.
That it takes ages to boil a kettle.

I'm sure there are more....

Poor Annual Vacation Entitlement
The way the police stop me every two weeks and check my vehicle safety check thingy is in order but let prats zoom along country roads way too fast, and sometimes on their ATVs.
Which brings me to the lack of paths on the sides of roads in rural areas...

I hear ya!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I hear ya!
Thank you for the support, lol.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:12 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Roadkill.
Oh deary me. Excuse the dumb stupid animals for getting in the way of human's very convenient gasoline-powered automobiles.

What an inconvenience for you..... all those animal guts and bloody sinew on your shiny rims.

Dead critters is just a part of everyday life here.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Oh deary me. Excuse the dumb stupid animals for getting in the way of human's very convenient gasoline-powered automobiles.

What an inconvenience for you..... all those animal guts and bloody sinew on your shiny rims.

i dont have shiny new rims, but if you wish to think that's why I dont like road kill, go ahead. You seem to have missed the point entirely. I am not blaming the animals. I hate seeing roadkill because I hate seeing dead animals, thank you very much!!!! And where in the thread does it say that the post HAS to be about things you dont like in Canada that aren't everyday life?!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

???? You need a trip to Quebec! Beer & wine on sale in all grocers, supermarkets and petrol stations! Cafes packed with people slurping wine at lunchtime. A very lively night time scene....

All your other points are agreed with (except the veggie / organic bit... loads here)

Originally Posted by Rich_007

I read that differently. I read it that the roadkill is bad because of the amount. In other words, people will just keep their foot on the gas rather than slow down a bit to let that groundhog/racoon/skunk/squirrel past.... that really gets me.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

I read that differently. I read it that the roadkill is bad because of the amount. In other words, people will just keep their foot on the gas rather than slow down a bit to let that groundhog/racoon/skunk/squirrel past.... that really gets me.

You read it the way I intended it. I am not blaming all drivers. Accidents happen. It may be my fault one day too but the amount of dead porcupine and racoon I see is unbelievable and makes you wonder if some of it couldn't have been avoided.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

You read it the way I intended it. I am not blaming all drivers. Accidents happen. It may be my fault one day too but the amount of dead porcupine and racoon I see is unbelievable and makes you wonder if some of it couldn't have been avoided.
I honestly hadn't seen your post when I replied!!

Of course accidents happen, especially at night, but the times I've seen people ahead not even tap the brakes and nearly wipe out an animal is distressing. Having said that, I was driving back from work the other day and two racoons were crossing, slowly. The car coming from the opposite direction slowed down and stopped as one racoon returned to the kerb (the other carried on). I stopped too, to act as a buffer. We both sat there until the second one had got across..... and then me and the other driver had a little wave to each other.... aaaahhhhh, lovely
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:10 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

There you go Steve.... that's about 50 / 50! Thanks for the proof, Monty!
Huh?

19.5 minutes for a 30 minute show on CBC, not even close to 50/50 in fact pretty close to the same ratio as a one hour show.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Huh?

19.5 minutes for a 30 minute show on CBC, not even close to 50/50 in fact pretty close to the same ratio as a one hour show.

Huh? This is what I read...

I took that to mean 19.5 minutes of programming in a 39 minute period.... or, to round things up, 20 program in 40 minutes.... i.e. 20 ads, therefore 50/50.

Have I misread something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.