Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What does a realtor do?!

What does a realtor do?!

Old May 28th 2018, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does a realtor do?!

Originally Posted by dbd33
I accept that, in the period 1997 to 2014, it worked differently in BC than it does in Ontario today.
lol
Old May 28th 2018, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Good point about surveys. None of that 'Homebuyer' survey nonsense in Canada. As far as I can make out surveys are extremely thorough and take the best part of a day. None of this 'we dont do ladders' nonsense either. Nor do they hedge their reports with so many caveats you wonder why you bothered!

We made a conditional offer on our house and the condition can last for one week during which you either satisfy them, withdraw or the sale becomes binding. Yes, surveyors in Canada are used to moving that fast from first phone call to being up a ladder!
Old May 28th 2018, 12:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Good point about surveys. None of that 'Homebuyer' survey nonsense in Canada. As far as I can make out surveys are extremely thorough and take the best part of a day. None of this 'we dont do ladders' nonsense either. Nor do they hedge their reports with so many caveats you wonder why you bothered!

We made a conditional offer on our house and the condition can last for one week during which you either satisfy them, withdraw or the sale becomes binding. Yes, surveyors in Canada are used to moving that fast from first phone call to being up a ladder!
Home Inspectors are all over the map in terms of quality, you need one that's recommended by someone you trust but the point may well be moot. The procedure in hot markets (not Ottawa in my lifetime but sometimes Toronto and K-W) is that offers are opened at a fixed time. The potential buyers sit outside in their cars, the agents scuttle back and forth with the bids going up and the conditions being waived until a deal is done. Obviously in such a market a condition of "inspection within a week" won't work so the vendor has the inspection done beforehand and fixes the visible things. I know for a fact that inspectors can be persuaded not to notice less visible things such as a lack of structural integrity. Note that the deal being done means there's a signed contract, the buyer can have a lawyer scrutinize it but all the lawyer can do is to say "oh dear, I don't think you should have signed that, oh no no" (or the local equivalent).