Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What does 'Property is in land titles' mean?

What does 'Property is in land titles' mean?

Old Jan 23rd 2010, 10:15 am
wassup clique

greentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of light
Question What does 'Property is in land titles' mean?

Hi everyone,

Can you tell me 'Property is in land titles' means? Please don't be sarcastic and tell me it means 'what it says on the tin!' - because I'm still non the wiser!

Also I have seen this phrase on some properties and then it hasn't been mentioned on others. Tried to do a search on here but couldn't find anything.

Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does 'Property is in land titles' mean?

I am not sure what "property" is in land titles means. I would assume it would be "documents" are in Land Titles. I don't know where you have seen this because if the documents are in Land Titles then the property is sold and wouldn't be on any listing any more.

It does mean what it says. Once a property is sold and the lawyer has prepared all the documents and the purchaser has paid the money and the vendor's lawyer has it in his trust account, or the mortgage has been signed and all the documents have been submitted to Land Titles, then the purchaser is just waiting for the documents to come out of Land Titles and the mortgage monies paid to the vendor's solicitor before the purchaser can have possession of the house.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Purley
I am not sure what "property" is in land titles means. I would assume it would be "documents" are in Land Titles. I don't know where you have seen this because if the documents are in Land Titles then the property is sold and wouldn't be on any listing any more.

It does mean what it says. Once a property is sold and the lawyer has prepared all the documents and the purchaser has paid the money and the vendor's lawyer has it in his trust account, or the mortgage has been signed and all the documents have been submitted to Land Titles, then the purchaser is just waiting for the documents to come out of Land Titles and the mortgage monies paid to the vendor's solicitor before the purchaser can have possession of the house.
Purley! your'e back where have you been?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:36 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

A process by which proof of ownership of real property is filed in the appropriate county office or court to allow purchasers, creditors, and other interested parties to determine the status of the property interests therein.

At one time properties in Ontario, to the best of my recollection, could be registered in one of two ways, Land Titles and (I'm buggered if I can remember the other). I believe everything is now registered under the Land Titles process, but I maybe wrong.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 4:23 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Manitoba there is often a delay between Possession date by the Buyer, and the legal transfer of the land, by Land Titles, often 30 days of more, so during that period the property is on a "sort of" legal limbo.

I assume that is what the term 'Property is in land titles' refers to, but I may be wrong as it is just an assumption on my part.

Last edited by MB-Realtor; Jan 23rd 2010 at 4:27 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Well Fledermaus I got a bit fed up with things. At the time there was a load of sniping and griping and snarky remarks on the board. Thought I'd have a break for a while. I lurked around occasionally and just answered the post because I was a real estate paralegal until a couple of months ago!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:27 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Fledermaus I got a bit fed up with things. At the time there was a load of sniping and griping and snarky remarks on the board. Thought I'd have a break for a while. I lurked around occasionally and just answered the post because I was a real estate paralegal until a couple of months ago!
tis much the same round here. I'm glad you're back, we missed you.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

BC15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by greentea3
Hi everyone,

Can you tell me 'Property is in land titles' means? Please don't be sarcastic and tell me it means 'what it says on the tin!' - because I'm still non the wiser!

Also I have seen this phrase on some properties and then it hasn't been mentioned on others. Tried to do a search on here but couldn't find anything.

Thanks
In Ontario property ownership was registered in the Land Registers of local municipalities. Details were actually written into the pages of the Land Registry books. This 'system' came over with the English and it included the ancient adverse possession rights (sometimes known as 'squatters rights'). This meant you could buy a property, get a survey, and discover a neighbour or two was using bits of your land as if it were their own. When this system was prevalent lawyers had to manually search the land registry back 40 years to be assured of the seller's clear ownership title .
The modern system of land registration in Ontario is a computerized one and is called Land Titles. Operated by the government which, subject to certain limitations, guarantees title. There is no adverse possession through Land Titles. Beware, though, many older properties were transferred to Land Titles but are not fully guaranteed and will not be until title is cleared, qualifying them for Land Titles. It's a bit more involved than that but that's about it.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks
If you let us know in what context you have seen this then our answers will be more useful to you.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:44 pm
wassup clique

greentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of light

From mls

"You better check it out soon & move in quickly. Property is in Land Titles. Taxes are more because it's not owner occupied. Will be adjusted on closing. Home is well insulated."
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

BC15 is an unknown quantity at this point

From mls

"You better check it out soon & move in quickly. Property is in Land Titles. Taxes are more because it's not owner occupied. Will be adjusted on closing. Home is well insulated."
In this context it can only mean the property is registered in Land Titles and not Land Registry, which might imply that it has been through all procedures to become qualified for Land Titles and is therefore free of the possibility of adverse possession. To my knowledge unless it is a commercial property and not a residential property, taxes will be the same as owner occupied.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:30 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

In Winnipeg there is a $400 property tax rebate to a property owner, but it is not granted if the property is rented out.

This may be a similar situation.

Land Titles against Registry does seem to be the likely answer.

What province is this.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:03 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back you won't find any of that kind of behaviour now. We're a considerate and helpful bunch now we've weeded out most of the bad element. There's much to be learned and gained within our community of experienced helpers. You know you have to speak from the heart to reach another's heart.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:22 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
In Winnipeg there is a $400 property tax rebate to a property owner, but it is not granted if the property is rented out.

This may be a similar situation.

Land Titles against Registry does seem to be the likely answer.

What province is this.
I think some of the real estate and legal experts on this thread might be making this stuff up as they go along.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:01 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I think some of the real estate and legal experts on this thread might be making this stuff up as they go along.
That would be unscrupulous and, since our member from Cochrane has not appeared, I think you're wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.