Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What does a Canadian Real Estate Agent DO?

What does a Canadian Real Estate Agent DO?

Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice
Default Re: What does a Canadian Real Estate Agent DO?

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Is this a serious question? In case it is, there is no way, in my opinion, that a real estate salesperson could stay on top of things if he/she had another job at the same time.

My very first job, when I got to Canada 31 years ago, was as the secretary to the manager of a real estate firm. I witnessed how time consuming a real estate salesperson's job was.

I've also witnessed real estate salespeople working on my family's behalf. They've held Open Houses for us on Sunday afternoons. They've also stayed up with us past midnight, discussing the details of an offer with us and negotiating with the other party to bring a transaction to a conclusion.

Besides that, if they're worth their salt, they know about the schools in different communities, they know about city planning issues that may impact various neighbourhoods for better or worse, they track price trends, and so on.

It takes a fulltime commitment for a real estate salesperson to stay on top of his/her game.
x
Totally disgree - I don't see how you can say that a only a full time agent could stay on top of things! Nonsense. A person could work part time for any number of reasons; also it does not follow that only a full time agent would have knowledge of the local area...again that is a silly notion. Although I have not decided about listing with agents, they are all very knowledgeable about this area, because they live in it.....full time.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:12 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
A part time worker may not have another job. They may simply choose to handle less clients so that they do not have to work a full week. It is not a given that they cannot be flexible with their time, working late nights or weekends. I could actually mean that they are not busy running from one client to another trying to balance the competing demands of dozens of buyers and sellers.
When it comes to real estate salespeople, the term "part-time" generally is understood to mean someone who has another job besides real estate sales.

Technically, all real estate salespeople could be described as being part-time, because none of them works 24/7.
x
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:16 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Muesli
Totally disgree - I don't see how you can say that a only a full time agent could stay on top of things! Nonsense. A person could work part time for any number of reasons; also it does not follow that only a full time agent would have knowledge of the local area...again that is a silly notion. Although I have not decided about listing with agents, they are all very knowledgeable about this area, because they live in it.....full time.
I said, "in my opinion." You are entitled to your opinion.
x
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I said, "in my opinion." You are entitled to your opinion.
x
So you did, but you imply that only full time agents know their stuff and are committed to their chosen profession. In my opinion, this is just not true.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Being fairly new to this forum, the one thing that strikes me straight away is the amount of negativity that certain people have towards others on the forum, the sarcy comments , and generally people trying to pick a fight whenever they can !........You know who you are !

As i have been in Canada for nearly a year, and regulary use another canadian ex pats forum, the difference is amazing ! people genuinly try to help others out !

I'm not saying everybody be all lovey dovey , but it definately seems some people will only make a comment if its negative or disparaging !

I was told that this was the case with this forum, and it has lived up to its reputation !

But then again ! I suppose this is what forums are all about !!

O.k you lot, get back to your squabbling !!!!!!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean, but when it stops people start complaining that it's boring.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:46 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mjwalker007
Being fairly new to this forum, the one thing that strikes me straight away is the amount of negativity that certain people have towards others on the forum, the sarcy comments , and generally people trying to pick a fight whenever they can !........You know who you are !

As i have been in Canada for nearly a year, and regulary use another canadian ex pats forum, the difference is amazing ! people genuinly try to help others out !

I'm not saying everybody be all lovey dovey , but it definately seems some people will only make a comment if its negative or disparaging !

I was told that this was the case with this forum, and it has lived up to its reputation !

Well that wasn't exactly helpful was it?

Where is the love?
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:49 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by Mrs Muesli
So you did, but you imply that only full time agents know their stuff and are committed to their chosen profession. In my opinion, this is just not true.
I may be wrong about this, but I have a vague recollection that you live in a small-ish town. That brings me to something I failed to consider when I originally shared my opinion about full-time and part-time real estate salespeople. I believe that, in a rural community or small town, it would be possible to have another occupation, sell real estate on the side, and still do a good job of selling real estate.

So I'm sorry that I provided a blanket response that didn't take nuances into account.

But I stand by my opinion that the real estate market in Calgary (population 1 million) and its satellite towns is large enough and complex enough that a real estate salesperson would not be able to serve that market adequately if he/she had another job as well.

Of course it's only my opinion. House sellers are welcome to list with part-time real estate salespeople, to sell their houses on their own, to negotiate a lower commission or a flat fee with a real estate salesperson, or whatever.

But I'm free to engage the real estate salesperson of my choice, and I can assure you that here in Calgary I will never hire a part-timer (by which I mean a person who has a job besides selling real estate).

I will conclude by repeating that these are my opinions, and other people are entitled to their opinions.
x
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:02 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Judy is correct, in the real estate world "part-time" = has another job.

An agent works what hours they want to work, we don't have a "boss" other than our clients.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:55 am
Now on Vancouver Island

In fiddling with the Wiki and re-arranging some information there, I stumbled on my own (forgotten) articles called Culture Shock and Help others through rough patches. It's interesting to re-visit the text of the Help others article in light of this thread:

• One of the challenges we have in communicating with each other is that, at any given moment, members of our group are experiencing different phases of Culture Shock.

• Someone comes onto the forum and complains about ... well, you know ... Canadian haircuts or Canadian cheese or Canadian banks or Canadian TV shows or Canadian sandwiches or Canadian leave entitlements or Canadian something.

• The original poster probably is going through the Rejection phase of culture shock.

• Someone else, who also is going through the Rejection phase, comes along, agrees with the original poster, and adds a couple of new complaints to the original one.

• Still another person, who is in the Honeymoon or Pseudo Adaptation phase, comes along, berates the original poster for complaining about something so petty, and defends Canada's haircuts / cheese / banks / TV shows / sandwiches / leave entitlements / whatever.

• Then another member of the Rejection brigade comes along and tells the unsympathetic posters that they were mean.

• Then someone who is well into the Adaptation phase, comes along and says, "Ho hum. What's all this fuss about?"

• It is very difficult to be patient with someone who is going through a phase of culture shock that is different from one's own phase. Many, many members of this forum, even some who usually are polite, have expressed impatience (and sometimes even downright rudeness) towards people who were going through the Rejection phase of culture shock.

• Nonetheless, psychologists say that the most helpful thing you can do for a person who is experiencing culture shock is to listen to him/her.

• Remember that one of the symptoms of the Rejection phase of culture shock is that the level of annoyance is out of all proportion to the actual importance of the issue.

I was one of those who forgot those principles during this discussion.
x
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:44 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was one of those who forgot those principles during this discussion.

Thank you for saying that Judy, I was very disappointed with the Pearls before swine comment, though you may not even be refering to that in this statement. I think that there are times when we all are scathing in one way or another on a thread, but when we mock the actual process of discussion and differing opinions, its counter productive and offends.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:16 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

It is also much easier to express negative emotions: derision, anger etc, anonymously on these internet forums; it seems to make people "braver" about expressing themselves this way, and is often not the way they would be in a face-to-face situation. There is a lot of this sort of behaviour on BE; I think, perhaps, the trick is not to take it too personally.

Thank you for that extract from your Wiki, Judy.

Oh - Judy, you'll know the answer to this....how d'you apply emoticon when giving Karma?

Last edited by Jay Bird; Apr 9th 2008 at 11:18 am. Reason: Added that final question
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:22 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
It is also much easier to express negative emotions: derision, anger etc, anonymously on these internet forums; it seems to make people "braver" about expressing themselves this way, and is often not the way they would be in a face-to-face situation. There is a lot of this sort of behaviour on BE; I think, perhaps, the trick is not to take it too personally.

Thank you for that extract from your Wiki, Judy.

Oh - Judy, you'll know the answer to this....how d'you apply emoticon when giving Karma?

Have you looked it up in the Wiki or done a search to find out the answer? Just messing! No idea about karma emoticons.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:06 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Have you looked it up in the Wiki or done a search to find out the answer? Just messing! No idea about karma emoticons.
Good suggestion, Poppy2, but I htought if I ask the question someone is bound to answer!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

san38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: What does a Canadian Real Estate Agent DO?

Originally Posted by mjwalker007

What is the other website address? So i can make a comparison between the two websites. I like when people can express their true feelings and sometimes it can be interpreted rude or mischievious.

This forum is one of the best i have been on very informative, and i like to express my true feelings on any issues that worries me, whether its race, colour, gender, sexuality etc, and if people have a problem with my views then they are very naive.

dlfjdkdlfdldfd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.