Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What Do You Wish You Brought Or Left Behind

What Do You Wish You Brought Or Left Behind

Old Jun 5th 2021, 3:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Do You Wish You Brought Or Left Behind

Originally Posted by dbd33
Sure, not everyone feels the need to take a moral position when spending but, even if you substitute an ethical retailer, shopping seems like an expensive waste of time on arrival in a new country. That said, I have a colleague who has an apartment in Hawaii, whenever he goes there his first report is of this weeks' bargains at Costco so, for some people, big box is bliss.
I don't call saving potentially $3,000+ by not shipping everything an expensive waste of time, nor would most.
Old Jun 5th 2021, 5:33 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Surely you don't need to deal with Walmart or anywhere else for basics - you've been here 40 odd years, by now you should have everything you need. This isn't about you (I know that's hard to accept)..

For a newcomer it's an easy option, a one stop shop for basics.
Tried to give you karma points for this but apparently I’ve given you too much and I’ve got to spend the love
Old Jun 5th 2021, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Ship as much as you can. Particularly if you have older, quality stuff. Most furniture here is from China or Vietnam, or ikea. It’s fine, but I miss older, inherited things.

Leave electrics behind obviously
Old Jun 5th 2021, 9:21 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

How much does it cost to ship now? Certainly when we moved it waa cheaper to ship than to buy new here. I made a start upthread of adding up some costs but I've found this tgat says $16K fioor a 2000 square foot house. .https://homearise.com/cost-furnish-house/ One problem we had was knowing where to shop, which stores sold what and I'd rather buy the right thing than something that "would do for now".
Old Jun 5th 2021, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Will_PA
Ship as much as you can. Particularly if you have older, quality stuff. Most furniture here is from China or Vietnam, or ikea. It’s fine, but I miss older, inherited things.

Leave electrics behind obviously

May not be seeing much furniture from China, at least for the next little while.

Canada has slapped some VERY high tariffs on many of the companies that ship over here ................. almost 300% in at least 3 cases. That's because they've been found to have way undercutting, so much as to look like "dumping". There's been as much as almost $2,000 difference between what the Chinese company was charging and what a Canadian (or Italian, or any other country) could do.

If you buy a Natuzzi leather sofa for example, it will now come from Italy NOT from China.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7870710/s...-tariffs-cbsa/

Old Jun 6th 2021, 12:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
How much does it cost to ship now? Certainly when we moved it waa cheaper to ship than to buy new here. I made a start upthread of adding up some costs but I've found this tgat says $16K fioor a 2000 square foot house. .https://homearise.com/cost-furnish-house/ One problem we had was knowing where to shop, which stores sold what and I'd rather buy the right thing than something that "would do for now".
On previous discussions like this I've always considered that prices in Canada compare favourably to the UK price at the quality of the stuff I'd have bought there.
Fridge, dishwasher and cooker came with the house in 2005 and we had one bed. I found this from a previous post
Off we went to Leons to buy the other beds, washer-dryer set, dining set, all the sitting down furniture. $4700 is the amount on the invoice which I came across just the other day.
TV came from Future shop - $400 (better available for half that now), Lawn mower and patio furniture from Canadian Tire - $400.
Over the next few months we added a second freezer and small fridge, coffee tables, computer carts, TV stand, half a dozen bookcases, new set of pots and pans, baker's rack, microwave, toaster oven...$900
So that's around $6400. The cost of the house stuff we already had was maybe $600. So we must have done pretty much everything for $7000.
Looking at that pricing list I see bedside table/nightstand.
Luxury is $1000, Moderate cost is $300 and budget is listed as $150.
Is something wrong with $18 from Ikea?

Or $40 if you want something with drawers?

$30 budget pillow? Those inflated bamboo things are cheaper.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 3:10 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I furnished my 3 bedroom house for less than $3,000 - including the washer and dryer ($800 for the pair). Some furniture I bought 2nd hand.. which I don't see as a problem, often you can buy good 2nd hand quality items, sometimes people are giving them away! A head and footboard and 8ft long chest of drawers (with mirror) cost $70 (delivered) and are solid wood, made in Canada. A desk (with undermount keyboard and mouse tray) and a 6ft bookshelf was purchased at a 'scratch and dent' Staples event for less than $100. It doesn't have to cost a fortune. Nothing wrong with Ikea furniture either
Old Jun 6th 2021, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I agree ............. we have several pieces of Ikea furniture, all bought from their "scratch and dent" area, which also included last year's models without a mark on them.

Over the last 5 years I have also bought about 3 sets of sheets and pillow cases from there, 100% cotton, as well as having bought Ikea duvet covers 20 or more years ago. I don't buy sheet sets, I like to get the sheets individually, and Ikea's $19.99 or $29.99 per sheets last at least as long as some much more expensive ones bought previously.

Everything is mixed ........ teak furniture and birch pieces.

We even have some hand made pieces that OH built, painted white ............... needed urgently but no money to buy at that time, and they're still in use.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 6:28 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I purchased 2 dressers second hand - $30 - they were laminate but heavy laminate - one was stamped with 1982 on the back.

Anyway after clean, priming, repainting and putting some beautiful hand painted drawer knobs from HomeSense, they look amazing and I feel proud to have ‘upcycled’

I have brought quite a bit from Ikea for the new home. I especially love their Ribba photo frames and I’ve had some bargains in their ‘as is’ section. Generally the furniture I buy from there lasts awhile as I look after it but I understand that not everyone feels that way about ikea. Some of it does feel cheap and nasty but it’s functional!

My MIL really don’t like ikea furniture but then her taste in furniture is old fashioned and not for me. I don’t think she is impressed with some of renovations of furniture she has given us lol
Old Jun 6th 2021, 1:08 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Next we will be hearing about how little it costs to furnish a shoe box on the M1.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 1:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Next we will be hearing about how little it costs to furnish a shoe box on the M1.
Cardboard box?
Old Jun 6th 2021, 3:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Cardboard box?
If you already have a cardboard box and are used to living in it, why go through the hassle of sourcing a new one? Simply bring the old one with you.

Note that all these urban sophisticates with their IKEA stores don't consider that IKEA is a shop for immigrants, most of Canada doesn't have enough immigrants for IKEA so the viability of that idea depends on where the OP is going.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

For those interested there are only 14 IKEA stores in Canada.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/stores/
Old Jun 6th 2021, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we didn’t bring our kitchen stuff plates pans cutlery etc it wasn’t valuable but we sill brought it, but of course we had to buy it when we got here anyway as we had to wait 6 weeks for the container to arrive TVs we probably should have left as both have now gone Kerput after only a year and we had to buy new ones.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 6:55 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you already have a cardboard box and are used to living in it, why go through the hassle of sourcing a new one? Simply bring the old one with you.

Note that all these urban sophisticates with their IKEA stores don't consider that IKEA is a shop for immigrants, most of Canada doesn't have enough immigrants for IKEA so the viability of that idea depends on where the OP is going.

​​​​​​Say you decide to get a new cardboard box from Ikea and you live in Peterborough you'll have to buy a car, or better still an SUV or a truck to bring the boxes home in. You'll need to drive for 90minutes including part of the 401 and a tricky exit at Leslie. If you bring your family with you then your new boxes won't fit in your vehicle, if you leave the fam at home then you'll have to make big decisions without them and have the almost inevitable Ikea breakdown sooner than at the tills.
So you have to shop in Peterborough. Your choices are Leon's or The Brick, or the pricier but better quality and, imho, taste individual stores. Second hand boxes? That's for the young who don't mind duct tape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.