Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What Do You Wish You Brought Or Left Behind

What Do You Wish You Brought Or Left Behind

Old Jun 6th 2021, 7:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Do You Wish You Brought Or Left Behind

Originally Posted by bats
​​​​​​Say you decide to get a new cardboard box from Ikea and you live in Peterborough you'll have to buy a car, or better still an SUV or a truck to bring the boxes home in. You'll need to drive for 90minutes including part of the 401 and a tricky exit at Leslie. If you bring your family with you then your new boxes won't fit in your vehicle, if you leave the fam at home then you'll have to make big decisions without them and have the almost inevitable Ikea breakdown sooner than at the tills.
So you have to shop in Peterborough. Your choices are Leon's or The Brick, or the pricier but better quality and, imho, taste individual stores. Second hand boxes? That's for the young who don't mind duct tape.
So, I'm sitting at a kitchen table that was purchased last year, second hand. Eight years ago, when we moved here, we decided what sort of table and chairs would work and then waited to see the right thing for sale, new or used. This approach suited the need because we had a rectangular table that an ex-wife left me when she emigrated (or maybe she gave it to a daughter who then emigrated leaving me the table, whatever), The table wasn't a good fit and it had come from This End Up in the late 80s so it was clunky and looked experienced. Still, having the rectangular table, which is now in the basement, was better than eating off the floor for seven and a half years. That rectangular table is my container of stuff, something usable for the time being, pressure off.

To those who say the container will take a long time to come and they'll have to buy stuff in the meantime, I say shop minimally. We bought a wooden picnic table, intended for outdoor use and added cushions. We bought a mattress from the scratched and dented section at Sears. That was the furniture for the first five years or so. Alternatively, if you've coming to a job, get the employer to sort it out, they could pay to expedite the container or pay to keep you in an hotel. If they want you they'll do it.

Or, you can move to a new country and spend evenings and weekends in pound shops looking for tea towels. Some people do like that.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 8:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
For those interested there are only 14 IKEA stores in Canada.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/stores/
My Ikea stuff was delivered. Amazing what you can get delivered these days
Old Jun 6th 2021, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The fact that 7-11 deliver means you can basically get anything delivered though todays weather might mean your slurpee is a bit melted.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 10:50 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How much was that? Last time we looked the delivery charges were horrendous - cheaper to rent a Uhaul but we weren't keen on that.

Old Jun 6th 2021, 11:05 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
So, I'm sitting at a kitchen table that was purchased last year, second hand. Eight years ago, when we moved here, we decided what sort of table and chairs would work and then waited to see the right thing for sale, new or used. This approach suited the need because we had a rectangular table that an ex-wife left me when she emigrated (or maybe she gave it to a daughter who then emigrated leaving me the table, whatever), The table wasn't a good fit and it had come from This End Up in the late 80s so it was clunky and looked experienced. Still, having the rectangular table, which is now in the basement, was better than eating off the floor for seven and a half years. That rectangular table is my container of stuff, something usable for the time being, pressure off.

To those who say the container will take a long time to come and they'll have to buy stuff in the meantime, I say shop minimally. We bought a wooden picnic table, intended for outdoor use and added cushions. We bought a mattress from the scratched and dented section at Sears. That was the furniture for the first five years or so. Alternatively, if you've coming to a job, get the employer to sort it out, they could pay to expedite the container or pay to keep you in an hotel. If they want you they'll do it.

Or, you can move to a new country and spend evenings and weekends in pound shops looking for tea towels. Some people do like that.
I've nothing against second hand, my dining table is second hand, brought from the UK. It's solid oak with barley twist legs. Cost me £50 and I've seem them for sale here for $800. We also brought furniture my dad made, paintings, china, etc etc. But having to buy everything on arrival and trying not to overspend is a miserable way to start out when you had decent stuff begore.
We moved out of our house then spent a month in a holiday let before moving here and our container was early so we had nowhere to put the stuff.

Last edited by bats; Jun 6th 2021 at 11:21 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2021, 1:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
How much was that? Last time we looked the delivery charges were horrendous - cheaper to rent a Uhaul but we weren't keen on that.
I really can't remember but I wouldn't have done it if it hadn't worked out a good overall price compared to something more local. Two bookcases and two easy chairs.

But they do a different option now I believe, where you can have it delivered to a pick up point somewhere.

I just put a table and 4 chairs into a cart for $169. Delivery comes up as $139 which is a lot but $308 is still a decent total price. Very similar on Leons is $595 + $50 delivery.

If I select Ikea pick up, $139 drops to $59 and it's 15 minutes away.
Old Jun 7th 2021, 4:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the majority on this one, depends on what you're coming from and going to of course, but for most people it would take up a crazy amount of time to re-stock everything they own and often cost more in the long run than shipping it. Time that could be much better spent when first in a new country, particularly if one person is starting a new job and wants a bit of time off first. I'd rather spend that time exploring our new area than traipsing around shops (or sitting on the internet researching and buying online).

We've just had to furnish a small 2 bed apartment from scratch, and it's taken me the last two weeks continuously buying things for it and I'm still not done. The big items like beds and sofas are fairly quick and easy but it's all the little things like loo roll holders, side lamps, coat hooks, potato peelers, etc, etc that take up the time, and the 'homely' things like artwork, photo frames, etc. I can't imagine having to do that with a whole house particularly if it had a garden that needed equipping as well, and I'd rather have my own familiar stuff around me anyway when in a new country.

I'd leave electrics and take everything else personally.
Old Jun 7th 2021, 4:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Electrical stuff is probably ok if it doesn't spin or heat up (when used as intended).
Old Jun 8th 2021, 7:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RileyJackson
take everything you need.
well thats super helpful
How do you know what you need if you haven't lived there before?! What did you find you needed and had nit brought with you when you moved?
(thats assuming you are an Expat? )
Old Jun 8th 2021, 7:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
well thats super helpful
How do you know what you need if you haven't lived there before?! What did you find you needed and had nit brought with you when you moved?
(thats assuming you are an Expat? )
Sorry Pollyana, was just a spammer doing the usual 'quick dump of 5 daft posts so I can post my spammy link'. Have deleted now.
Old Jun 8th 2021, 7:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Pollyana, was just a spammer doing the usual 'quick dump of 5 daft posts so I can post my spammy link'. Have deleted now.
Much as I suspected
Couldn't resist having a poke at a possible spammer though!
Old Jun 12th 2021, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the majority on this one, depends on what you're coming from and going to of course, but for most people it would take up a crazy amount of time to re-stock everything they own and often cost more in the long run than shipping it. Time that could be much better spent when first in a new country, particularly if one person is starting a new job and wants a bit of time off first. I'd rather spend that time exploring our new area than traipsing around shops (or sitting on the internet researching and buying online).

We've just had to furnish a small 2 bed apartment from scratch, and it's taken me the last two weeks continuously buying things for it and I'm still not done. The big items like beds and sofas are fairly quick and easy but it's all the little things like loo roll holders, side lamps, coat hooks, potato peelers, etc, etc that take up the time, and the 'homely' things like artwork, photo frames, etc. I can't imagine having to do that with a whole house particularly if it had a garden that needed equipping as well, and I'd rather have my own familiar stuff around me anyway when in a new country.

+1

I've never emigrated and if I did I don't have furniture of my own. BUT I do know that I hate shopping, and i'm very picky so if I had things that I liked and were of good quality I would want to bring them with me. Minus electrical appliances that are not dual voltage as i'm a little afraid of step up/down transformers. That and I enjoy shopping for electronics so an excuse to buy brand new tvs, computer monitors and peripherals etc is fine with me.
Old Jun 12th 2021, 12:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've done it both ways (that sounds a bit odd).

Oz to UK, took one suitcase of clothes and a few boxes of personal stuff and linen. A deliberate and personal choice, as the house scouse and I were living in was the one he and his first wife (dec) had built and furnished together. He didn't feel any attachment to the furniture etc ('as long as I've got somewhere to sit, eat and sleep I'm happy), while I was looking forward to furnishing our home in my own style. My husband travelled a month before me and we'd bought our house there a couple of months prior, so I ordered just about everything online and had it delivered to the house. The only hiccup was the 4 seater and 3 seater sofas - they wouldn't fit around the staircase into the front room. Husband had to get a glazier out to remove the enormous bay window and get them in that way. Glad I wasn't there at the time

Three years later UK back to Oz, a 20ft container stuffed full. I'd bought all that lovely furniture, most of it solid oak, and there was no way I was leaving it behind. We lived at my sister's place for a month and in that time bought a house. As it turned out the container took 16 weeks to arrive (!) so we made do with rented furniture, while my family lent us all the pots, pans, cutlery and just about everything else we needed. All I bought was a new kettle and toaster, and as both of our UK ones had gone kaput just before we left I'd have needed to buy them anyway. Oh happy day when our container arrived.

Old Jun 17th 2021, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I'd brought our good M&S oak furniture and left some of the smaller stuff with less value. It is hard to find nice wood furniture here without spending a fortune.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

yakkiebush is an unknown quantity at this point

Sell it all and buy new,you’ll enjoy it better in your new home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.