Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Old Jul 8th 2010, 7:20 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I want something 'local' like the goings on in Royston Varsey.
They did show that one xmas in Canada when i was there. A girl i worked with came in the next day and said, i saw something last night from you Brits that was very uncomfortable to watch. When i found out it was League of Gentlemen i nearly died laughing. I would love to of watched her watching it!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 7:54 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
On the subject of building as some one who has always worked in construction leaving the UK as a senior project manager and now a projects director here in Canada..i can honestly say construction techinques in the UK are far superior to here in Canada as is the quality unfortunately.
Do you mind me asking which area of construction do you work in?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:18 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I think Canada is just great
Bigot
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:22 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Poor use of english..why is it math and not maths?? and why do they say erb instead of herb?..and why do they enforcise the wrong letters in a word..like nisaaaan? etc
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The commercials grate even when using a PVR. Mine has a fast forward, a faster fast forward and a Hans Solo light speed fast forward. The first one is too slow and the other two are way too fast. I am forever fast forwarding and then rewinding, and then fast forwarding again. Most times, it would be quicker to simply watch the frickin commercials.

Other than that, and the bureaucracy, and the driving, and the lack of decent cheeze, and the fact that everything I say is, apparently, racist, homophobic, anti-semite, or sexist I think Canada is just great
If there is a teenager in the house they can usually stop it within a nano second of where it is supposed to stop!!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:22 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Londonuck
They did show that one xmas in Canada when i was there. A girl i worked with came in the next day and said, i saw something last night from you Brits that was very uncomfortable to watch. When i found out it was League of Gentlemen i nearly died laughing. I would love to of watched her watching it!
I find League of Gentlemen very uncomfortable to watch.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I find League of Gentlemen very uncomfortable to watch.
You are right it can be quite uncomfortable to watch....but that is the point of it in many ways......it makes watching David Brent or Alan Partridge very easy.

I enjoy League of Gentlemen as it was filmed about 5 - 10 km from where I grew up (not sure what that distance is in 'old money').
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

redrunner2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by merv63
hi, we are currently living in Australia, moved here from the UK about 6 years ago and like many Brits we find the people very odd and racist (very). If you check out the Australia forum you will see that this is the general opinion amongst lots of other things. So we put on a thread about what people dont like about living in Oz and have been overwelmed with the replies!!! As we would like to consider Canada as a place to live, we thought we would put on the same thread.

Look forward to your comments, it will be interesting to compare what the Brits think of Canada compared to Oz!
Canadians themselves are actually very nice people but when you start dealing with the people in the immigration service you will find elements with racist/odd behaviour. be prepared for unprofessional attitudes and basically individuals that are unaccountable for their actions. they are by far the worst immigration service l have ever come accross.no transperancey or consistency.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Speaking of which - did you ever investigate again whether an antenna was feasible?
For DOA? We would have to have a huge tower, which isnt going to happen. Too far from civilisation I guess. With our regular antenna we can get a few fuzzy channels, but to be honest I am looking forward to a break from all that dross anyway (by which I mean Liverpool in the premiership).
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redrunner2
Canadians themselves are actually very nice people but when you start dealing with the people in the immigration service you will find elements with racist/odd behaviour. be prepared for unprofessional attitudes and basically individuals that are unaccountable for their actions. they are by far the worst immigration service l have ever come accross.no transperancey or consistency.
Examples? How many immigration authorities have you dealt with?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Australian, New Zealand, Mexican and American. if everything is in order you get the service with these people. In my personal experience Canadian have been the worst and give no excuses to anyone even when they have exceeded their processing times, you cant ring them or get any sort of update and as a result you wait months in limbo not able to plan anything. totally unsympathetic,cant be bothered. l am sure there effective well meaning officials elsewhere in the Canadian system but l am totally unimpressed by what l came across last time.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redrunner2
Australian, New Zealand, Mexican and American. if everything is in order you get the service with these people. In my personal experience Canadian have been the worst and give no excuses to anyone even when they have exceeded their processing times, you cant ring them or get any sort of update and as a result you wait months in limbo not able to plan anything. totally unsympathetic,cant be bothered. l am sure there effective well meaning officials elsewhere in the Canadian system but l am totally unimpressed by what l came across last time.
You`ll get little argument from me that Canadians take their time, but I don`t see any evidence of racism in what you have said.

Why do you want to live in so many countries?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

l did get an email come through once from them and the wording was not too far from being blatantly racist and since my application was in process at the time l knew l would not be doing myself any favours by flagging it up. my job is in research requires me to travel and live in different countries depending on the length of the projects so l have to deal with immigration people everytime l move but hopefully after this l will pack it in and go back to Blighty.this is my experience of the system and therefore its a subjective thing. l have been to Canada at once a year for skiing holidays and do not anything bad to say about Canadians, the immigration crew that dealt with my TPW at the consulate however.....
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

There's too many fat people in Canada for my liking. Of course the UK is getting just as bad.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 7:52 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
There's too many fat people in Canada for my liking. Of course the UK is getting just as bad.
sorry shouldn't laugh, but it is funny!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.