Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Originally Posted by Lorry1
OMG I know it's been said 20 million times (at least), but I hate Canadian/American TV!

I was watching Scream a couple of nights ago (seen it before but I love it), and every 10 minutes there were 10 minute long adverts. I never got to the end cos by 11.30pm I gave in and went to bed. It was only just half way through and I had been watching it for 2 hours already
Get a PVR.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:33 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Bears
At least we don't have killer spiders lol the Aussies can keep them!
I like bears, but only from a distance!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I don't use a wheelchair but a close friend back in the UK does and it's now something that I look out for automatically now. There may be signs saying that there is wheelchair access but in practice it often means a wheelchair with somebody pushing it, not independent access.

Captioning here is usually the Rear Window Captioning System. You are given a piece of clear perspex on a stalk which is fixed onto your seat. The captions are projected onto the screen from the rear of the theatre. I've never tried it out as the nearest movie theatre to us that has this is 90 minutes away. I'm told it's OK but you have to wiggle a bit to find the best position to view the captions and the screen. They don't have them for every movie released or in every theatre or every screening

In the UK the captions are displayed on the screens at special screenings. So if you buy a ticket for that show you know you are going to get captions. Again not every movie or cinema has them but they are more common.

TV captioning is better here and the majority of programmes are captioned. In the UK it tends to be just the terrestial channels that have them and then maybe 80%.

What I do like here is that there are audio described programmes for people who are blind/visually impaired. I don't know if theatres do this as well.

Even at work I have to tell them stuff about disabled access, such as higher seats in the waiting areas, and ones with arms so that people can use the arms to push themselves up into standing position. The loos need to be higher too for some disabled people. There's very little design thought for visual impairement.

Better get back off my soap box now
Thanks for the explanation
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Get a PVR.
The commercials grate even when using a PVR. Mine has a fast forward, a faster fast forward and a Hans Solo light speed fast forward. The first one is too slow and the other two are way too fast. I am forever fast forwarding and then rewinding, and then fast forwarding again. Most times, it would be quicker to simply watch the frickin commercials.

Other than that, and the bureaucracy, and the driving, and the lack of decent cheeze, and the fact that everything I say is, apparently, racist, homophobic, anti-semite, or sexist I think Canada is just great
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The commercials grate even when using a PVR. Mine has a fast forward, a faster fast forward and a Hans Solo light speed fast forward. The first one is too slow and the other two are way too fast. I am forever fast forwarding and then rewinding, and then fast forwarding again. Most times, it would be quicker to simply watch the frickin commercials.

Other than that, and the bureaucracy, and the driving, and the lack of decent cheeze, and the fact that everything I say is, apparently, racist, homophobic, anti-semite, or sexist I think Canada is just great
If it wasn't for the commercials Flederman would never get round to doing the washing up.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:56 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
If it wasn't for the commercials Flederman would never get round to doing the washing up.

That...is a damn good point
Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Get a PVR.
Unfortunatly the PVR doesnt alter how crap the content is regardless of the ads.

We are going to try going without Cable for a while....Im a bit scared. I expect my embrionic piano skills will improve, and who knows, maybe as a family we will converse more.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:02 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Mine has a 30s skip forward button and a 15s skip back for when you've gone too far.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Unfortunatly the PVR doesnt alter how crap the content is regardless of the ads.

We are going to try going without Cable for a while....Im a bit scared. I expect my embrionic piano skills will improve, and who knows, maybe as a family we will converse more.
We only have it for local news and the movie channels. Everything else is from the BBC using iPlayer.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:08 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Speaking of which - did you ever investigate again whether an antenna was feasible?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

We only have it for local news and the movie channels. Everything else is from the BBC using iPlayer.
Even the movies are crap. We dumped everything except the basic channels and the extra high definition channels. Surprisingly with Shaw (in Calgary at least) you get the basic high definition channels with the basic cable package.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Bonsai will become famous soon enough

Alan 2005,

iPlayer? How do you get it over here? every time I attempt to access it, it is unsuceesful?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

pontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonsai
iPlayer? How do you get it over here? every time I attempt to access it, it is unsuceesful?
PM sent.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Bonsai
Alan 2005,

Many thanks.
You need a vpn or some such. Hopefully pontcanna's PM will tell you what you need to do.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 6:33 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Wow its been a long time since i was on here!

Anyway i have been living in Edmonton for a couple years off and on now so heres my list of things that get on my nerves from time to time..lol

Cheese on everything..personally im not keen on cheese anyway so why ruin a perfecty good dish by smoothering it in cheese??

Poor use of english..why is it math and not maths?? and why do they say erb instead of herb?..and why do they enforcise the wrong letters in a word..like nisaaaan? etc

And the classic use of eh and right at the end of every sentence.

Paying double bubble for mobiles is crap and the lack of a good chinese and indian takeaway took some geting used too.

Still there are plenty of crap things i dont miss about England like the traffic, chavs on street corners and no air conditioning.

On the subject of building as some one who has always worked in construction leaving the UK as a senior project manager and now a projects director here in Canada..i can honestly say construction techinques in the UK are far superior to here in Canada as is the quality unfortunately.

Its a case of what you dont have.. you dont miss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.