Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Old Jul 6th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Originally Posted by Auld Yin View Post
The UK drivers are so polite, thoughtful and skilled that your beloved UK TV saw fit to produce a series on how impolite, unthoughtful, unskilled and [email protected] suicidal they are/can be.
Your boring war story is simply anecdotal. I can scour the UK press and find many such stories occurring there.
Hmmm... While on the other hand, "Canada's Worst Driver" is on its 77th series...

Why post on this thread Auld Yin, if you have nothing to contribute to the OP's original question?
Old Jul 6th 2010, 10:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Lee View Post
Hmmm... While on the other hand, "Canada's Worst Driver" is on its 77th series...

Why post on this thread Auld Yin, if you have nothing to contribute to the OP's original question?
Regardless of AY's contribution yours could be considered in the same vein.

77th series, talk about hyperbole.

Gee and guess were they got the idea for Canada's Worst Driver? It's based on the UK Channel 4 Television Corporation's Britain's Worst Driver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%27s_Worst_Driver

Last edited by Steve_P; Jul 6th 2010 at 10:56 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

As a Canadian I quite enjoy reading these comments. Some I agree with and some not.

The one thing I didn't like about Britain was the buying the round culture at Pubs. I am not a big drinker. Actually I quite enjoy having one small glass of wine and that is it. However whenever I went out to a Pub in the UK I was having to buy a round for everyone! So even though I only wanted to have one drink I would have to pay for about 8 people. I also noticed that people drank more as a result - they wanted to get their monies worth. Needless to say I started to avoid Friday afternoon drinks-too many drunken workmates and too expensive.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliew View Post
Actually I quite enjoy having one small glass of wine and that is it. However whenever I went out to a Pub in the UK I was having to buy a round for everyone!
I can relate to that. Especially difficult when people arrive at different times. Then there was someone who always managed to be "not ready" when everyone else was and then knocked it back quickly when someone else was buying.

But what do you do here?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:54 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I too like the not having to buy a round, and especially like the ease of getting separate bills in restaurants. This meant that when I was at college and skint I could go out for a meal and know how much I was spending. Much easier

On the other hand I always seem to have to be handing over money for showers for thingy in stores, or whatsit on first floor. Plus if you are invited out how come I have to take food and wine? Every meal can't be a potluck can it?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:57 am
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Juliew View Post
As a Canadian I quite enjoy reading these comments. Some I agree with and some not.

The one thing I didn't like about Britain was the buying the round culture at Pubs. I am not a big drinker. Actually I quite enjoy having one small glass of wine and that is it. However whenever I went out to a Pub in the UK I was having to buy a round for everyone! So even though I only wanted to have one drink I would have to pay for about 8 people. I also noticed that people drank more as a result - they wanted to get their monies worth. Needless to say I started to avoid Friday afternoon drinks-too many drunken workmates and too expensive.
I think it was Bill Bryson who said that when Americans (this applies equally to Canadians in my opinion) ask if you want to meet up for a drink, they generally mean that literally. Whereas if a Brit asks you to meet up for a drink, you are probably going home shit faced.

Remember also, that in Britain you have to go to the bar to get your drinks and the round system is often more about not having to get up every time you want a drink. You just do it when it's your round. The more people in the round, the less times you have to get off your arse. Simple really.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Not been here long, but here's my bit anyhow

What i don't like

They get the entrances and exits from buildings the wrong way round switched the other way, find yourself heading for the wrong door alot

The rear wheels don't steer on supermarket trolley's

Mobile phone choice is worse than you possibly imagined it ever to be

The car insurance is super expensive

What i like

Being in the top 1% of drivers

Everything else
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:01 am
Account Closed

Accessibility for disabled people bugs me- or the lack of it

For example:

Those buttons for people to push to open the doors, half the time they are positioned where someone in a wheelchair can't reach.

Many many restaurants have loos that are at the top or bottom of a flight of stairs.

Aisles in stores that are full of crud and displays etc which means that wheelchairs can't get by. Sears is really bad in this respect.

Very very limited access to close captions on movies at the theatre. T loops are rare in theatres and I have never seen one in a store here.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:22 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyched View Post
Not been here long, but here's my bit anyhow

What i don't like

The rear wheels don't steer on supermarket trolley's
I found this very odd to begin with, had trouble steering around the shops! You get used to it pretty quickly though and now I don't find them any more difficult than I remember UK ones to be...
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus View Post

For example:

Those buttons for people to push to open the doors, half the time they are positioned where someone in a wheelchair can't reach.

Many many restaurants have loos that are at the top or bottom of a flight of stairs.

Aisles in stores that are full of crud and displays etc which means that wheelchairs can't get by. Sears is really bad in this respect.

Very very limited access to close captions on movies at the theatre. T loops are rare in theatres and I have never seen one in a store here.
I have to admit that I am very impressed with the accessibility for disabled people in Calgary. I say this as a non-wheelchair user so I am probably talking out of my bottom, but it appears that everything is geared up for wheelchair access here.

How does close captioning work on movies in theatres? Do the individuals have their own screens or glasses (I know that sounds stupid) but how else do you get around everyone else having to see the titles?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian View Post
I have to admit that I am very impressed with the accessibility for disabled people in Calgary. I say this as a non-wheelchair user so I am probably talking out of my bottom, but it appears that everything is geared up for wheelchair access here.

How does close captioning work on movies in theatres? Do the individuals have their own screens or glasses (I know that sounds stupid) but how else do you get around everyone else having to see the titles?
I don't use a wheelchair but a close friend back in the UK does and it's now something that I look out for automatically now. There may be signs saying that there is wheelchair access but in practice it often means a wheelchair with somebody pushing it, not independent access.

Captioning here is usually the Rear Window Captioning System. You are given a piece of clear perspex on a stalk which is fixed onto your seat. The captions are projected onto the screen from the rear of the theatre. I've never tried it out as the nearest movie theatre to us that has this is 90 minutes away. I'm told it's OK but you have to wiggle a bit to find the best position to view the captions and the screen. They don't have them for every movie released or in every theatre or every screening

In the UK the captions are displayed on the screens at special screenings. So if you buy a ticket for that show you know you are going to get captions. Again not every movie or cinema has them but they are more common.

TV captioning is better here and the majority of programmes are captioned. In the UK it tends to be just the terrestial channels that have them and then maybe 80%.

What I do like here is that there are audio described programmes for people who are blind/visually impaired. I don't know if theatres do this as well.

Even at work I have to tell them stuff about disabled access, such as higher seats in the waiting areas, and ones with arms so that people can use the arms to push themselves up into standing position. The loos need to be higher too for some disabled people. There's very little design thought for visual impairement.

Better get back off my soap box now
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus View Post
For example:

Aisles in stores that are full of crud and displays etc which means that wheelchairs can't get by.
Originally Posted by Almost Canadian View Post
I have to admit that I am very impressed with the accessibility for disabled people in Calgary....it appears that everything is geared up for wheelchair access here.
At first glance it does look as if these needs are well taken care of. Every kerb drops down at every corner, automatic doors with buttons but as fled says, not well placed.

I've had experience of pushing my wife for the last year since her health became so poor.

Those drop down kerbs are handy but they all have enormous drops and bumps and are near impossible on your own. The sidewalks have mini bumps and not so mini bumps every two yards - meaning you use the road instead - less busy ones only of course.

Aside from the buttons for the doors often being too high, many are right by the door so it opens and hits the chair or occupant before you can get out the way.

Only in the hospital is it well designed, but even at some medical centres access is difficult with little room for turning. It's not just the chair to consider but the foot rests too.

Some external doorways have quite a ridge...not a step as such but it can be a real obstacle. There's one clinic we go to where it's impossible to get the the chair over the ridge with her in it so she has to get up and hold herself up while I move the chair through for her to pass through and then sit again.

So much looks disablement friendly but it's really not. It's as if everyone is expected to have motorised scooters that can cope with all the bumps.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough

To answer the OP - we're looking to buy a house and usually drive past a property before asking our realtor if we can look inside. Problem is that houses which are listed for sale sometimes have accepted offers but they don't update the listing until the conditions are removed - so it looks like a house is for sale but it isn't
also black flies, mozzies, etc. - if it bites, it seems to live in Canada!!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:19 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcdavis View Post
To answer the OP - we're looking to buy a house and usually drive past a property before asking our realtor if we can look inside. Problem is that houses which are listed for sale sometimes have accepted offers but they don't update the listing until the conditions are removed - so it looks like a house is for sale but it isn't
also black flies, mozzies, etc. - if it bites, it seems to live in Canada!!
Bears
At least we don't have killer spiders lol the Aussies can keep them!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:22 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I know it's been said 20 million times (at least), but I hate Canadian/American TV!

I was watching Scream a couple of nights ago (seen it before but I love it), and every 10 minutes there were 10 minute long adverts. I never got to the end cos by 11.30pm I gave in and went to bed. It was only just half way through and I had been watching it for 2 hours already

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.