Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:21 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Originally Posted by schumachergal
Then if you dislike stuff that much bugger off back to where you came from !
You tell him
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:00 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Now come on lets get real here.

The OP asked about "What do you NOT like about living in Canada" and you said "Houses are very poorly built here and cannot withstand the brutal winters. Surely in a Country that has such extreme weather, they should build with brick".

Now you get upset for being called to task for making such a sweeping statement?
Just want to say I actually do love my house, it is very unique and I love living in it. I simply stated that houses, here in NS anyway, are not built very well and they rot. We have to replace all our siding this year before winter comes round again.
Being relatively new to this site, I did not know the 'brick house' discussion had already been done to death as I did not contribute to it.
Maybe if you had already done that discussion, and it bored you so much, you shouldn't have commented on my thread!

Anyway, I am celebrating 3 years in Canada today, so I guess I must like it here a little bit
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pontcanna
-BBC Canada is a disgrace to the name, especially since they cancelled Eastenders in favour of more "lifestyle programming".
I agree with you on that point. However, Vision TV are going to be starting, in the autumn, with where BBC Canada left off. I find it quite amusing that Vision will pick it up as it is a religious channel and the only people with much in the way of faith (Dot Cotton) are riduculed for their beliefs on the show.

http://www.visiontv.ca/Media/Releases/eastenders.html

Since I first got BBC Canada in about 2001 or 2002, it has really gone downhill. It is hour after hour of shows about cleaning your house, purging your house, selling your house, buying a house in the country (that Escape to the Country toff lady really gets on my nerves) and then Can Con drivel being put on the channel so that it qualifies for some sort of ability to be shown across the country at a non premium price. The channel in the past had quirky comedies, interesting dramas etc...now it is just awful home improvement and reality drivel and old comedies (they had a marathon of Fawlty Towers on a few days ago).

Enough of my rant...I want something 'local' like the goings on in Royston Varsey.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 2:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Things I dont like:

Mosquitos, Blackflies etc.... can make time outside miserable

Not going to find a lot of stately homes or places like Brooklands or the Shuttleworth collection

TV sucks

Its expensive to get away for a foreign holiday

It would be nice to have a choice of affordable (ie not german) diesel cars

Only a 6 month Golfing season

Only a 4 month Ski season...

but on balance the pros outweigh the cons
Old Jul 6th 2010, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

pontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Vision TV are going to be starting, in the autumn, with where BBC Canada left off. I find it quite amusing that Vision will pick it up as it is a religious channel and the only people with much in the way of faith (Dot Cotton) are riduculed for their beliefs on the show
Vision TV also offers spiritual programming like "On the Buses" ("I 'ate you Butler" "Cor, did you see that new clippie...now I just have to get Mum, Olive and Arthur out of the 'ouse tonight and I'm in luck" - cue bedroom farce scenes). Also "Birds of a Feather"...hmmm.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:35 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merv63
hi, we are currently living in Australia, moved here from the UK about 6 years ago and like many Brits we find the people very odd and racist (very). If you check out the Australia forum you will see that this is the general opinion amongst lots of other things. So we put on a thread about what people dont like about living in Oz and have been overwelmed with the replies!!! As we would like to consider Canada as a place to live, we thought we would put on the same thread.

Look forward to your comments, it will be interesting to compare what the Brits think of Canada compared to Oz!
Brits who move to Canada and forget they are British and pretend they are Canadian . Apart from that and being able to handle the extended freezing winters and Living in a country that is kind of like a huge Milton Keynes, I would say Canada is a pretty decent place to live. At least you won't find the kind of racism you describe in Australia and there are some pretty intelligent people in Canada.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:36 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
and there are some pretty intelligent people in Canada.
There are now, yes.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

Things I do not like:

-Paying for incoming and outgoing calls.
-Tax not included on sticker price.
-Bad fashion and lack of choice in clothes and food.
-Bad drivers
- I find many locals lack a sense of humour
- Too many commercials on TV
- Bad TV
- Rubbish vacation time off work.
-Brutal winters, even though i have to say the last winter was pretty mild in comparison.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

Oh and as for the racism thing, I have found people to be much more open to different cultures here in Canada in comparison to the UK.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Bad TV isn't really the problem it once was. You can get iPlayer via a VPN at a fairly low cost (we pay $25/qtr) or you if you don't mind a bit of extra faffing about you can torrent stuff for free.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

I love turning right on a red light

But i hate the turn lane cheats who exploit it, just to jump the queue and then barge themselves into the traffic going straight on.

But such things allow me to become less uptight and thus more canadian aboot it.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:47 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
There are now, yes.
I should, also add after spending an extended break in New York, New Jersey, Boston and Canada, Canada was the place I felt totally at ease. It felt like a home from home. Always felt a bit on edge in the States, but the Canadians I met were so friendly and welcoming. Even swam in the artificial beach at Wasaga and enjoyed myself and Niagra falls is a spectacular sight. I also like the fact that the streets in Canada were generally clean, unlike parts of Paris which were full of dog poo.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pontcanna
Vision TV also offers spiritual programming like "On the Buses" ("I 'ate you Butler" "Cor, did you see that new clippie...now I just have to get Mum, Olive and Arthur out of the 'ouse tonight and I'm in luck" - cue bedroom farce scenes). Also "Birds of a Feather"...hmmm.
Not to mention Father Ted Good solid religous fare
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Bad TV isn't really the problem it once was. You can get iPlayer via a VPN at a fairly low cost (we pay $25/qtr) or you if you don't mind a bit of extra faffing about you can torrent stuff for free.
Or you can just cancel your cable subscription completely once the world cup is done
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The "if it aint broke, don't fix it" attitude to describe something not broken as such, but in need of major improvement or updating..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.