Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you NOT like about living in Canada

LEST WE FORGET...
Rule1:

BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is "in it together", please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcomb1
It was more a laugh reading your response! Not at all, they took it as seriously as I did being the more responsible type who objects to 2nd hand smoke affecting an infant and non-smokers health and were quite helpful and serious on the matter. And I may also like to remind you that managers commonly ask you to call the RCMP over here as they don't deal with it as they should, so I suggest you try getting your facts straight before making assumptions. You asked if I called the RCMP.

More importantly, I am one who will do anything I have to to protect my infant and I from carcinogenic smoke. Got a problem with that?
Non smokers have a right to breathe fresh air, smokers have a right to smoke (unfortunately) but as long as they keep that to themselves and damage their own lungs I've no problem with it, aside from it affecting the environment with their stinking pollution of course.
I do actually. Having a baby does NOT make you more deserving than anyone else.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:20 pm
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I do actually. Having a baby does NOT make you more deserving than anyone else.
Did I say I did?? FAIL.

At least acting responsibly and legally protecting my infant as we are expected to do, wins that argument. I also like to remind you.. I have every right to not breathe anyone's disgusting 2nd hand smoke, nor have that inflicted on us non-smokers, ta v much.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Let people post their personal likes and dislikes (Well, dislikes in the case of this thread) , and lets not get into a heated debate over whose opinion is correct, because there is no right or wrong in anyones opinion.

Except mine.

Agree to disagree and lets move on before I lose my patience and ban someone.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:30 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Did I say I did?? FAIL.

At least acting responsibly and legally protecting my infant as we are expected to do, wins that argument. I also like to remind you.. I have every right to not breathe anyone's disgusting 2nd hand smoke, nor have that inflicted on us non-smokers, ta v much.
Do you drive, and if so what kind of vehicle?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Do you drive, and if so what kind of vehicle?
See the above post
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:38 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
See the above post

No insult or personal attack.

Last edited by lmartin999; Jul 19th 2010 at 9:43 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

To now in this town home, frame built, it comes in internally, hence why I know these houses over here are NOT well built, and that is just one reason.
These kinds of comments always amuse the hell out of me.

Someone lives in a poorly constructed home or condo and it gets extrapolated to all homes in Canada are not well built because the one I'm in is not well built.

There are cowboy builders all over including the UK.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by lmartin999

No insult or personal attack.
The one AFTER that

Cant we get back to people freely posting what they perceive to be the Cons of life in Canada without every point getting debated? Its personal opinion that's posted, no need to take offence if it doesnt agree with your own or if it makes no sense. Im sure anyone reading through it can figure that out for themselves without it having to become argumentative, if not downright chippy.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 19th 2010 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you try getting your facts straight before making assumptions. You asked if I called the RCMP.
I did, glad you followed that bit. What was puzzling was that you would use up the limited valuable resources they have for such a trivial thing that is perfectly legal.

More importantly, I am one who will do anything I have to to protect my infant and I from carcinogenic smoke. Got a problem with that?
Yet you live in a city that is full of it - Diesel fumes are carcinogenic, far worse in a city than a little second hand smoke form a neigbour on a balcony.

Non smokers have a right to breathe fresh air, smokers have a right to smoke (unfortunately) but as long as they keep that to themselves and damage their own lungs I've no problem with it, aside from it affecting the environment with their stinking pollution of course.
Do you use a vehicle or use an airline? You use a computer? The computer industry is the 2nd largest contributor to global warming next to the airline industry. How do you heat your home, solar panels? You consume milk? The dairy industry contributes enormous amounts of air pollutants in the Valley through muck spreading.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:07 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Well for example, every where I have lived there has been a smoking issue here in BC at least. Whether invading my personal space at home from outside on their balcony to inside my condo.

To now in this town home, frame built, it comes in internally, hence why I know these houses over here are NOT well built, and that is just one reason.

The RCMP can't do anything, the laws are so difficult you can't even address it effectively anyway, so they clearly support smokers over non-smokers which is terrible! Especially when you have an infant to protect from 2nd hand smoke and are allergic to it too, so as I see it, we have to freeze all winter by keeping our windows open and heating on just to eliminate their ruddy disgusting filthy carcinogenic habit. Something very wrong there.
I could take it to rental authority as they said our home must be up to health and safety standards and we are entitled to no smoke in our home as much as those smokers are entitled to smoke inside them.
It may come to us being re-housed, but the senior manager here is already working on it for me as I spoke to him already and he asked what I wanted them to do and that is what I ended up coming up with, as rental authority said the best they could do was rehouse us likely, but I also made a point of making sure they don't re-house me next to any smokers obviously. Saves losing $50 if the manager is working on it anyway. The fee is $50 for rental authority when you file any dispute.

Additionally, I don't think they even know what an architect is
I have not seen many attractive buildings compared to what you see in the UK and in Europe as far as architecture goes - one other thing I do miss.
Not sure i'd go as far as you with regards to reporting but i also hate 2nd hand smoke coming into my home.

We had this issue last summer when the guy living below us used to sit on his balcony of an evening and smoke a good few cigs. After a while of this (and being in a foul mood as my dad had died not long since of smoking related lung cancer), i popped down and asked him very politely if he would smoke inside his apartment during the summer months cos he's stinking up my place.

He was nice enough to oblige, thankfully.

Have you spoken to your neighbours?

Oh, and your issue is not limited to Canada.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:57 am
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by el_richo
Not sure i'd go as far as you with regards to reporting but i also hate 2nd hand smoke coming into my home.

We had this issue last summer when the guy living below us used to sit on his balcony of an evening and smoke a good few cigs. After a while of this (and being in a foul mood as my dad had died not long since of smoking related lung cancer), i popped down and asked him very politely if he would smoke inside his apartment during the summer months cos he's stinking up my place.

He was nice enough to oblige, thankfully.

Have you spoken to your neighbours?

Oh, and your issue is not limited to Canada.
Yes I spoke to the neighbours each time, you are lucky you had luck straight away, where I had that same issue as you from a smoker on his balcony below me when living in a condo he began to oblige then chose to suit himself.

It is okay, I left there in the end anyway as this house came up however, did not know I was living next to smokers until I had moved in. One neighbour is very nice and obliging and understanding - and relates to my concerns of the 2nd hand smoke. The other.. ignorant, could not care less, sadly that one also has 2 young children and it is they I feel most sorry for.

It feels like it is just Canada as I never had to suffer like this when I was living in the UK in any case. But I know Europe is very bad for smokers, Spain and Italy for example.

Last edited by blackcomb1; Jul 20th 2010 at 1:59 am.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:24 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

It was more a laugh reading your response! Not at all, they took it as seriously as I did being the more responsible type who objects to 2nd hand smoke affecting an infant and non-smokers health and were quite helpful and serious on the matter. And I may also like to remind you that managers commonly ask you to call the RCMP over here as they don't deal with it as they should, so I suggest you try getting your facts straight before making assumptions. You asked if I called the RCMP.

I'm RCMP and I can tell you without a shadow of any doubt that we do not get involved in inconsiderate cigarette smokers spats. Unless a particular city has a bylaw that my apply, but it should really be a bylaw issue.

Not sure where you live but Vancouver would be VPD and not RCMP. And knowing VPD who are difficult to get to attend for a bne I doubt smoking would get them out.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:11 am
Banned

That is likely because the city has far more things going on for them to keep up with.

I live in the suburbs. Not a fan of living in cities. I have recently heard of bylaws via neighbours and via the local RCMP.

Not heard of VPD either.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:56 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Well for example, every where I have lived there has been a smoking issue here in BC at least. Whether invading my personal space at home from outside on their balcony to inside my condo.

The RCMP can't do anything, the laws are so difficult you can't even address it effectively anyway, so they clearly support smokers over non-smokers which is terrible! Especially when you have an infant to protect from 2nd hand smoke and are allergic to it too, so as I see it, we have to freeze all winter by keeping our windows open and heating on just to eliminate their ruddy disgusting filthy carcinogenic habit. Something very wrong there.
I could take it to rental authority as they said our home must be up to health and safety standards and we are entitled to no smoke in our home as much as those smokers are entitled to smoke inside them.
It may come to us being re-housed, but the senior manager here is already working on it for me as I spoke to him already and he asked what I wanted them to do and that is what I ended up coming up with, as rental authority said the best they could do was rehouse us likely, but I also made a point of making sure they don't re-house me next to any smokers obviously. Saves losing $50 if the manager is working on it anyway. The fee is $50 for rental authority when you file any dispute.

Additionally, I don't think they even know what an architect is
I have not seen many attractive buildings compared to what you see in the UK and in Europe as far as architecture goes - one other thing I do miss.
We used to have a bloke store his marijuana in his flat underneath our place. The smell was unbelievable. No it wasnt a high rise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.