Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:08 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Your point being? perhaps you should re-read my post. I noted that Canada has a higher murder rate as a nation, which is likely due to firearms. I also noted, however, that greater manchester has a similar murder rate to greater vancouver, which doesn't say much for manchester.

Last edited by dboy; Jul 18th 2010 at 10:11 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Youre point being? perhaps you should re-read my post. I noted that Canada has a higher murder rate as a nation, which is likely due to firearms. I also noted, however, that greater manchester has a similar murder rate to greater vancouver, which doesn't say much for manchester.

I have no need to reread your post. My point was that the murder rates are virtually identical. More guns crimes in Canada and more knife crimes in the UK.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:16 pm

Yes, so close that I would imagine they could trade places by the hour. Another point has to do with guns, if there are more murders committed with a gun in Canada, and Canada had more guns then Britain, then it seems like the Brits have found other ways to kill people.
firearms have a significant influence on the murder rate. Murders are actually down close to 50 percent this year in metro Vancouver after last years minor gang war. that would put our murder rate somewhere at about 60 percent of those in Manchester.

I've noted this a number of times on here, it comes down to perception of crime and how safe you feel. It is highly unlikely that one will be shot in either the UK or Canada. I'd more concerned with the standards of driving here where tail gating seems to be a national pastime.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:19 pm

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5434/chill.jpg

I have no need to reread your post. My point was that the murder rates are virtually identical. More guns crimes in Canada and more knife crimes in the UK.
virtually but not identical.... as Alan notes, I doubt there's much in it between western nations. Even areas that appear different are likely more to do with reporting and categorization of offenses.

Last edited by dboy; Jul 18th 2010 at 10:24 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:21 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd more concerned with the standards of driving here where tail gating seems to be a national pastime.
Hey man that aint tailgating that's drafting I seen them dudes from NASCAR doin' it to save fuel.

So I'm guessing it'll work for me too.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

virtually but not identical.... as Alan notes, I doubt there's much in it between western nations. Even areas that appear different are likely more to do with reporting and categorization of offenses.
the numbers according to my link are almost as close as it gets. So close that I would expect the overall "rate" could be influenced "who is ahead" based on a random days worth of murders. You mentioned guns, but I maintain that murder is more closely related to culture.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:35 am
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

What I dislike about Canada:

1. Discriminating authorities, such as favouring smokers over non-smokers affecting your living environment. Nuts! They are definitely backward over here in that way.

2. The houses are crap built compared to our far better solid built homes back in the UK, final. If you don't like that answer, tough, it's a fact. You can't possibly compare your garbage built homes to our solid old well built homes in the UK, and I do miss that much at least.
Your wood houses you like to brag about still being as good as they were 10+ yrs ago, need maintenance ongoing whether you want to admit that or not, I know of those who own wooden homes over here too. In one way or another they all need maintenance over here, wooden, frame, or not.

3. Arrogant bad drivers, road rage, true they care about only themselves (just those ones with no manners) and do not abide to ICBC driving regulations.

4. Racism does exist - especially in the workplace.

5. Health care is behind, and behind us so are the standards - having worked both countries I do know. I prefer our doctors back in the UK and nurses are also better trained but then UK nurses are world wide recognised for good reason.

6. The Canadians seem to want to be American, they talk and write like them, spell like them, and I can't stand the irritating rubbish adverts where they speak too fast, try speaking slowly and clearly - far better!
Better still bin thre adverts altogether if you can't provide decent ones then don't bother providing any at all. Thanks.

Lifestyle is good here though and so are some people

Money also tends to go further and I love the organic foods over here that are also inexpensive compared to UK.

I will always miss aspects of my own country, UK over Canada, as there ARE some things that are done and are better, fact.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcomb1
1. Discriminating authorities, such as favouring smokers over non-smokers affecting your living environment. Nuts! They are definitely backward over here in that way.
How so?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:20 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
How so?
I thought you'd pick up on that one. It rather caught my eye too. Canada has some of the strongest anti-smoking rules in the world.

I went for a smoke in my garage just now (it's raining). The garage is attached to my house and thus technically part of it. My house is also my workplace, so I was breaking the law.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvy
I thought you'd pick up on that one. It rather caught my eye too. Canada has some of the strongest anti-smoking rules in the world.

I went for a smoke in my garage just now (it's raining). The garage is attached to my house and thus technically part of it. My house is also my workplace, so I was breaking the law.
You are employed by a British company, right? So your workplace also has to conform to British health and safety regulations too.

Double trouble.

PS. I'm surprised garage smoking is accepted as it isn't in this household.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:59 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
You are employed by a British company, right? So your workplace also has to conform to British health and safety regulations too.

Double trouble.

PS. I'm surprised garage smoking is accepted as it isn't in this household.
I had the door open but I don't suppose that really counts.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

I had the door open but I don't suppose that really counts.
Not a chance.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:33 pm
Slob

Not a chance.
Oh well.

Not that I'm inclined to take advice from radiographers. You are all sadists. One of your ilk once subjected me to more pain than I thought possible.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Oh well.

Not that I'm inclined to take advice from radiographers. You are all sadists. One of your ilk once subjected me to more pain than I thought possible.
It's in the training.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

It's in the training.
You know I can really believe that.

Are you one of those responsible for those tests were they make you drink gallons of milky stuff then take x-rays or whatever of your intestines. Or even worse the reverse of that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.