Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:22 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Houses are very poorly built here and cannot withstand the brutal winters.

That is such a stupid comment it's laughable.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:47 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dthomas
1. Indians (Mohawks, Cree, Inuit, Metis, the rest of 'em).
2. Immigrants of colour (Haitians, Somalis, Algerians, Pakistanis, etc.).
3. French-Canadians & Acadians.
4. Western Continental European types (French, Spaniards, Italians, Sausage-Eaters, etc.).
5. Eastern European types (Poles, Romanians, Bulgars, Commies, etc.).
6. All asians.
7. Most Anglo-Saxon types - including The Scotch, Taffs, Bog Bashers, etc.
8. Cradle Canadians - esp. Western, Eastern, Central and Maritime Canadians.
9. The disabled and intellectually handicapped.
10. Children.
11. Peons and proles.
12. Mixed marriages & same-sex marriages.
13. Intellectuals.
14. Pets.
15. Plants and shrubs.
16. Lakes.
17. Any others/things who do not fit into the above categories.

I'm sure I can think of many other Canadian dislikes.
Ever thought of just looking in a mirror and then realise you fall into one of these groups? OMG!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dthomas
1. Indians (Mohawks, Cree, Inuit, Metis, the rest of 'em).
2. Immigrants of colour (Haitians, Somalis, Algerians, Pakistanis, etc.).
3. French-Canadians & Acadians.
4. Western Continental European types (French, Spaniards, Italians, Sausage-Eaters, etc.).
5. Eastern European types (Poles, Romanians, Bulgars, Commies, etc.).
6. All asians.
7. Most Anglo-Saxon types - including The Scotch, Taffs, Bog Bashers, etc.
8. Cradle Canadians - esp. Western, Eastern, Central and Maritime Canadians.
9. The disabled and intellectually handicapped.
10. Children.
11. Peons and proles.
12. Mixed marriages & same-sex marriages.
13. Intellectuals.
14. Pets.
15. Plants and shrubs.
16. Lakes.
17. Any others/things who do not fit into the above categories.

I'm sure I can think of many other Canadian dislikes.
'Post of the year' award!

But you forgot:

18. Nose breathers
19. Mouth breaters.
20. Nose and mouth breathers

(or do these fall under #17?)
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:58 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flipance
Ever thought of just looking in a mirror and then realise you fall into one of these groups? OMG!
disclaimer is #7 refering to most anglosaxons
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:13 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Houses are very poorly built here and cannot withstand the brutal winters.

That is such a stupid comment it's laughable.
Did I ask your opinion???

many people I know in NS have made repairs to their houses as they have just rotted!
I don't know what it's like for rest of Canada.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

hmm what don't I like about Canada... in all seriousness I find Canada very similar to Australia - the way of life that is.... to the OP, you live in hicksville Western Australia, it is completely different to the rest of the country - albeit, racism does exist but I will disagree that it's an issue across the general population.

Things that really annoy me, but I soon get over

- Bloody prices on the shelf aren't inclusive of taxes/deposits/bullshit
- Beer is as expensive as hard liqour - wtf?
- Salaries not being as high, less "perks" - ie: 5 weeks leave, 12 public holidays, unlimited sick leave, 10% pension, they hate giving company cars for some reason?

Other than that, it's a pretty good place to be

I'm in Vancouver but I'm looking forward to heading East to do a stint in Toronto before heading back to Oz (That's if I do head back)
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:25 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Did I ask your opinion???

many people I know in NS have made repairs to their houses as they have just rotted!
I don't know what it's like for rest of Canada.
Now come on lets get real here.

The OP asked about "What do you NOT like about living in Canada" and you said "Houses are very poorly built here and cannot withstand the brutal winters. Surely in a Country that has such extreme weather, they should build with brick".

Now you get upset for being called to task for making such a sweeping statement?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:41 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Now come on lets get real here.

The OP asked about "What do you NOT like about living in Canada" and you said "Houses are very poorly built here and cannot withstand the brutal winters. Surely in a Country that has such extreme weather, they should build with brick".

Now you get upset for being called to task for making such a sweeping statement?
WHATEVER!
Why would I be upset about something some fussy pratt said on BE forum??
No I don't know how houses are built all over Canada but here in NS the exterior does not last very long before having to be replaced.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian houses don't age well. I've looked at a fair few recently, and any built prior to 1985 seem to be falling to bits.

Lots of arguments about thermal properties etc of building materials. But they are all bollocks. Why are Canadian houses made of wood? Because they live in a fcking forest!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Houses are very poorly built here and cannot withstand the brutal winters. Surely in a Country that has such extreme weather, they should build with brick

I also don't like how tax isn't included in the sticker price.

Paying for outgoing and incoming calls/texts on the mobile phone is a complete rip off!

Lack of choice in food and clothes.
Canadians would rather drive into the states and spend all their money in the US shopping for decent clothes which are alot cheaper than here.

TV is bloody awful with way too many commercials!
Some here are very sensitive to such statements! The reality is buildings specified for clients who have an interest in durability, lifespan, minimisation of whole life costs, thermal properties etc almost always results in masonary walls and metal roofs. However, for such benefits there is a premium to be paid in terms of the initial capital cost.

The drivers in the speculation residential housebuilding market are very different and results in a different product. There's no point in wishing for something that isn't available though and timber houses are fine if expectations are realistic.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:02 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

I'm guessing all that salty sea air on the east coast wont do timber any favours.

Given the choice I'd rather a brick house with concrete floors built to a decent spec - but from what I gather these types of homes are much pricier than the timber ones.

M.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loser40
I'm guessing all that salty sea air on the east coast wont do timber any favours.

Given the choice I'd rather a brick house with concrete floors built to a decent spec - but from what I gather these types of homes are much pricier than the timber ones.

M.
I wont even get into the brick argument it's been done to death.

But you'll find concrete floors very cold unless you put in some method of heating them, either electric elements or hot water piping both very expensive options.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:11 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

Agreed concrete floors would need heating, ideally underfloor heating, but concrete does give good sound insulation and general solidity, hence my preference.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:15 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

On reflection, just going by the title of this thread, you are going to get negative opinions in the majority of posts. Therefore I shall ignore this thread if no one has any thing good to say.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest complaint about Canada is the lack of sheds on allotments. That, and the price of booze.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.