Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

merv63 is on a distinguished road
Smile What do you NOT like about living in Canada

hi, we are currently living in Australia, moved here from the UK about 6 years ago and like many Brits we find the people very odd and racist (very). If you check out the Australia forum you will see that this is the general opinion amongst lots of other things. So we put on a thread about what people dont like about living in Oz and have been overwelmed with the replies!!! As we would like to consider Canada as a place to live, we thought we would put on the same thread.

Look forward to your comments, it will be interesting to compare what the Brits think of Canada compared to Oz!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:13 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What do you NOT like about living in Canada

I am back in the UK after being in Canada for a year and can honestly say that there isn't anything that I can think of that I don't like about Canada. Sure there are a few things I miss about the UK, Beer, sausages, Cheese, but most of it is nif naf and trivia. The only thing I can really think of is I dont like the TV, again just trivia.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merv63
The immigrants
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:29 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
The immigrants
Particularly the ones from the UK via Australia. Just more whingers and moaners to "listen" to.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:33 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Particularly the ones from the UK via Australia. Just more whingers and moaners to "listen" to.
Amen to that
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:40 pm
Beep

hi, we are currently living in Australia, moved here from the UK about 6 years ago and like many Brits we find the people very odd and racist (very). If you check out the Australia forum you will see that this is the general opinion amongst lots of other things. So we put on a thread about what people dont like about living in Oz and have been overwelmed with the replies!!! As we would like to consider Canada as a place to live, we thought we would put on the same thread.

Look forward to your comments, it will be interesting to compare what the Brits think of Canada compared to Oz!
Ok in all seriousness:
  1. I don't like the banking costs
  2. I don't like the cost of mobile phone ownership
  3. I don't like paying tax on a 2nd hand car
  4. I don't like the over use of traffic lights
  5. I don't like the choice of cars when compared to Europe
  6. I don't like that you cannot filter through traffic on a bike
  7. I don't like it when people woooop
  8. I don't like.....oh, i'm bored now.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:42 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be surprised to find more racism in Canada - I've heard some stuff here that I wouldn't like to even repeat myself
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:42 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the low standard of driving

Canadian's in general make the French and Italians look thoughtful and caring
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

merv63 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
it seems to me that the only person whinging is you!!! typical jock hey
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:46 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

Good point - what irritates me most is there's a general lack of driving courtesy, it's very much "every man for himself" mentality. Even in the UK, if you were waiting at a side road or something, you'll generally get let out into the flow of traffic (unless you're in a BMW). I dunno if it's because there's no unofficial uniform method of signalling this i.e. flashing of lights in the UK - so it's hard to signal for someone to come out, if you're waving your hand at them, they often can't see this from the sun glare. And then if you do manage to let someone out, they just look at you like this and don't wave a thanks or any kind of acknowledgement
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:47 pm
Beep

it seems to me that the only person whinging is you!!! typical jock hey
You tell him
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G77
Good point - what irritates me most is there's a general lack of driving courtesy, it's very much "every man for himself" mentality. Even in the UK, if you were waiting at a side road or something, you'll generally get let out into the flow of traffic (unless you're in a BMW). I dunno if it's because there's no unofficial uniform method of signalling this i.e. flashing of lights in the UK - so it's hard to signal for someone to come out, if you're waving your hand at them, they often can't see this from the sun glare. And then if you do manage to let someone out, they just look at you like this and don't wave a thanks or any kind of acknowledgement
It seams to be totally the opposite in Halifax, sometimes I cycle over the bridge and into downtown and the motorists couldn't be more courteous.

Yes you do get some knuckleheads, but not that many IMHO.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeUK

Those are the French and Italians they've all come over here.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:28 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Those are the French and Italians they've all come over here.
One of the worst groups here in the GTA is the Portuguese

At least they’re easily identifiable during the world cup season
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:30 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spaceace
It seams to be totally the opposite in Halifax, sometimes I cycle over the bridge and into downtown and the motorists couldn't be more courteous.

Yes you do get some knuckleheads, but not that many IMHO.
It has been noted that Windsor drivers are "US style" - though I notice an even more extreme shift in aggressive driving style when going over the border....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.