Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what do you LOVE about your Province?

what do you LOVE about your Province?

Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do you LOVE about your Province?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Colindale. I'd nearly forgotten about Colindale. I lived there too.
You're making it up, incha?

I worked in the telephone exchange there for a while, nights I had a day job programming, what a hoot that was; we'd get loads of obscene calls and put them on the PA for everyone's enjoyment. When the pubs shut we'd get loads of calls person to person calls to places in Ireland with one phone in a box; the number was always placename single digit, ConanotherGuinness 6, or whatever. We'd have to wait for a passer-by to answer and then send him or her to the house of the person being called. 9 times out of 10 by the time the person had come to the phone the caller was passed out in the phone box at this end. I bet I could still pull them cords and plug them plugs if required.

What street did you live in?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what do you LOVE about your Province?

Originally Posted by dbd33
You're making it up, incha?

I worked in the telephone exchange there for a while, nights I had a day job programming, what a hoot that was; we'd get loads of obscene calls and put them on the PA for everyone's enjoyment. When the pubs shut we'd get loads of calls person to person calls to places in Ireland with one phone in a box; the number was always placename single digit, ConanotherGuinness 6, or whatever. We'd have to wait for a passer-by to answer and then send him or her to the house of the person being called. 9 times out of 10 by the time the person had come to the phone the caller was passed out in the phone box at this end. I bet I could still pull them cords and plug them plugs if required.

What street did you live in?
Not making it up at all. I went to college at Middlesex Poly on The Burroughs and did for a time live in Colindale. I forget exactly which road it was (we're going back well over 20 years). It was one of the Colins. Drive, I think.