Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what do you LOVE about your Province?

what do you LOVE about your Province?

Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:28 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do you LOVE about your Province?

Originally Posted by DKCAN
I am from West of Denmark where there are hardly any immigrants... so new comers would love to know about Copenhagen and not about my town !! There are a looot of differences between Copenhagen and my town ... Sooooo.

I hope my point is clear enuf :-))
But you it seems are happy to live where you live rather than Copenhagen, right?. Presumably newcomers settle in or near Copenhagen because A: That's where the international airport is, and B: Its one of the few places in Denmark they have heard off!, and C: Its where the most job vacancies (and applicants) are. Same reason people head to Toronto Vancouver and recently Calgary. Once a bunch of immigrants are in a place its then only natural for that community to snowball as people seek out a certain amount of familiarity. Makes some sense, but if you really crave the company of your fellow countrymen, why leave in the first place?

One reason I post here is to try raise awareness that there is a lot more to life in Canada than the big cities, and that its perfectly possible to live a good and happy life in places most people coming here have never heard of! The last time Ontario bothered with meaningless statistical analysis, my area was calculated to have the #1 quality of life in Ontario for two years running. At that time Ontario had the best "Quality of Life" in Canada, and Canada was rated #1 by the UN, so statistically this was the best place to live for quality of life in the world...but no one had heard of it. Go Figure.

If you want to know what life is like in TO or Vancouver or Calgary I'm sure Google can help you out there too.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 8th 2006 at 3:31 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Our favourite place to visit is Point Pelee in Leamington , Ont.
to watch the migrating song birds in the spring. Birders from
all over the world would come to Point Pelee to watch the spring
migration. The fall is very colourful when the Mornach butterflies
migrate to warmer countries through Point Pelee. Yoong
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:57 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
The Irish influence in NFD is incredibly strong and obvious all over the place. It comes through in their accent, and one guy who helped me when I was lost sounded really Irish, though he was a local. When he gave me directions, he was standing in front of an enormous Irish tricolor painted on a wall. The Irish presence in NFD is so strong in fact that they even developed their own branch of Gaelic.

During the 19th century there was an enormous relocation of Scots to NFD and Cape Breton, and Scots gaelic also featured highly in many traditional NFD folk songs. In fact Newfoundland is one of the few places today where Scots gaelic is still spoken.

Such is my new-found (no pun intended) interest in this subject that a quick look at the NFD government website just revealed the fact the NFD "tourism culture and recreation minister" Kevin Aylward said way back in 2001 that

The term Newfie is only used perjoratively by some mainland Canadians, much like red heads are only mindlessly abused mainly by some British. They're both very much prejudices based on local issues. No one from NFD that I ever met, including many of my wife's family had aproblem with the term and used it freely themselves.

Of course words do not have intrinsic value, only their meaning as collectively understood has this value, and the value can develop and change over time.
Thank you for your lesson in Newfoundland history and culture. Without your input the mere fact of living here for 2 years would have lead me to being ignorant of so many things..................
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
It couldn't possibly have been intended as a really informative thread or, if it was, I believe the original poster was misguided in the choice of thread title.

What prospective migrants need to be aware of, I believe, are the potential pitfalls. They don't need to be told what people love about their provinces. You can get a sense of the beauty of the Rocky Mountains from a travel brochure.

I patted myself on the back for the discipline I exercised in typing my original response in this thread. I honoured the original poster's thread title and stuck to the positive elements of my province. But I did not for one minute believe I was being useful to prospective migrants. Or at least I was conscious of the fact that I was sharing only one side of the picture.
I disagree, why was the original poster misguided? Surely you are missing the point. It was simply asking "what do you like about your province" and was supposed to encourage positive responses and not negative ones. There has been more than enough negativity on here for prospective migrants to read which i beleive is why the thread was started.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:06 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
I disagree, why was the original poster misguided? Surely you are missing the point. It was simply asking "what do you like about your province" and was supposed to encourage positive responses and not negative ones. There has been more than enough negativity on here for prospective migrants to read which i beleive is why the thread was started.
If you were to go back and re-read my text that you have just quoted, all the more so if you were to read it in the context of the post to which I was responding, you might find that I was not saying what you seem to think I was saying.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you were to go back and re-read my text that you have just quoted, all the more so if you were to read it in the context of the post to which I was responding, you might find that I was not saying what you seem to think I was saying.
Ok point taken, the person you replied to made the assumption it was an informative thread for migrants and it probably wasn't meant to be. It was just to try and encourage a few positive views.
I am sure that no prospective migrant would choose to come to a particular province based on a few positive remarks made by somebody they don't know on a forum.
You are called Judy in Calgary, for all i know you might have a bedsit in North London.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:35 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Thank you for your lesson in Newfoundland history and culture. Without your input the mere fact of living here for 2 years would have lead me to being ignorant of so many things..................
led
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You are called Judy in Calgary, for all i know you might have a bedsit in North London.
Why on earth would someone in North London pretend to be in Calgary?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I used to live in Hendon. I often dreamed about being somewhere else.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
led
Spelling being one of them............
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Ha, I used to work in Basildon. Dreaming of being somewhere else was the only way to get through the day!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

<eyes mist over>

Hendon, Colindale, the Welsh Harp, I miss the romance.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why on earth would a grown man pretend to be a teenager in an internet chat room? It happens.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Why on earth would a grown man pretend to be a teenager in an internet chat room? It happens.
Are you suggesting that someone pretending to be in Calgary would hear arousing things, things not accessible to people pretending to be in Cap d'Antibes, a Fifth Avenue penthouse, or a tavern on Cricklewood Broadway ?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:06 pm

<eyes mist over>

Hendon, Colindale, the Welsh Harp, I miss the romance.
Colindale. I'd nearly forgotten about Colindale. I lived there too.

Well, existed.

I've also lived in Brixton, Balham and Battersea. No wonder I drink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.