Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
In name only, but congratulations anyway

You do realise you can edit what it says under your name anyway, right?
Yes, I was trying to think of something witty.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcomb1 View Post
tax disc
Don't you have a registration fee in BC?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by blackcomb1 View Post
Have you tried driving over Lions gate bridge at rush hours - usually 3 hrs late afternoon to early evening, as well as early morning 7-9 ish, and midday at times.
Hwy 1, has far too much traffic too here in Vancouver, BC.

However, I appreciate that other parts of Canada have it better as far as the traffic goes.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Hwy 401 between the 404 and 400 is the busiest road in North America. It certainly is pretty diabolical. Hwy 7 in Markham is also really bad. Downtown Vancouver and some of the bridges are really bad too, I agree.

However having said all that, Hwy 401 between the 404 and 400 is a pretty short stretch of road and so are the bridges and downtown area of Vancouver. People here complain about the Deerfoot, but at the end of the day it's only 20 miles long.

Take the M6 from Birmingham to Manchester and it's basically a traffic jam the whole way, there are even metal signs up saying: "Warning: traffic queue ahead." Or the M25 during rush hour?

At least Vancouver has decent public transport. Bit more sketchy in Calgary.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Hwy 401 between the 404 and 400 is the busiest road in North America. It certainly is pretty diabolical. Hwy 7 in Markham is also really bad. Downtown Vancouver and some of the bridges are really bad too, I agree.

However having said all that, Hwy 401 between the 404 and 400 is a pretty short stretch of road
but the jam starts at Milton and goes on to some equally godforsaken place the other side of Toronto.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

austinallegro will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What do you like about living in Canada?

Originally Posted by Londonuck View Post
Give you chaps 4 years and you'll both be in the MBTTUK forum
I've been here in Toronto for 24 years. The home sickness only began kicking in around the 5+ year mark. Now at 24 years the home sickness is getting stronger as I feel something slipping away. Many of my friends who came in the mid 1980's go back very regularly now. We should be getting some sort of medal from the airlines.

What I like about Toronto is it's relatively close to London. One 'shortish' direct flight.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:44 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you like about living in Canada?

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
<Hoping to get thread back on topic before it goes off at tangent about music, architecture and what people DONT LIKE>

I love the sense of space

I love 4 real seasons, a hot summer, a snowy winter, beautiful fall...spring..meh, not so much

I love the lack of stress or the need to "keep up with the jonses"

I love the absence of petty crime and vandalism in my life.

I love not dealing with rush hour traffic.

I love that kids can be kids here for longer

I could add more, as I have in the countless other threads on this subject in the past, and Im prepared to accept that not all the above will apply to all people and places in Canada, so lets keep this thread on the positives you see, rather than arguing the toss if you dont mind.
Nothing wrong with trying to keep up with us - everyone needs something to aspire to