Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:38 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

A picnic lunch in Halfmoon Bay. Crystal clear water, sunlight dancing on the waves, snow capped mountains on Vancouver Island in the background. More beautiful than I have words to express. If heaven is half this good I am going to take up religion.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Every province I have lived in has had such a program including my current one.

Here in NB it is referred to as the Motor Vehicle Inspection Program.
As mentioned, AB and BC don't have one (unless you bring a car into the province), not sure about other western provinces but I can understand why, if you live out in the sticks (which in Alberta can be literally hundreds of kilometres from the next town of any size), you could end up having to drive a significant distance to get the inspection done.

I still think in Calgary and Edmonton they could have something at least once in awhile, perhaps give the cities the power to make a by-law concerning it. I remember back in 2007 the roads were the slickest I've ever seen them, it was just frighteningly bad, I saw a Camaro plough into a really tall lamp post next to the Deerfoot which collapsed, a car on a bridge I was driving under slid off the side of the bridge and went straight into the embankment. I thought for a moment it was going to land on top of me, I nearly crapped myself.

Anyway another car thing that kind of annoys me is that only NS has vehicle titles apparently, so your only proof of ownership is the bill of sale and they're so easy to fake. With no vehicle inspection and no vehicle titles, there is NO way I would buy a used car in Alberta.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Crystal clear water.
Sounds like a pleasant alternative to the beef soup that was off Spanish Banks this past weekend.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Hockey's ok but not international enough for my liking.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

hiyatran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quietgiroth
I didn't like Ptbo at all.
My brother had done a year in the states and had given me his car, so I had US plates on when I arrived in Ptbo.
Stopped and asked directions on George Street (or is it Water up there) by the beer store, ended up getting beaten up by 5 guys because they thought I was American. The best part was there was a cop just watching, he did nothing.
Without going into more detail, Ptbo didn't get much better for me after that.
I try to avoid Peterborough, although had my Stag night there (I still have friends who live there).
Found out later there was a Brit beaten and killed by 4 guys in the parking lot on Hunter Street the Monday after my stag weekend. Poor guy was just on a fishing trip.

Kingston area is much nicer,
Don't judge us by these tugs. we are not all like that. It is like everywhere else in the world, there's always going to be a few rotten apples that end up ruining it for the rest of the country. Here in Ottawa, everyone are really nice and friendly.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

What, I'm a senior member after 100 posts?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:53 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
What, I'm a senior member after 100 posts?
In name only, but congratulations anyway

You do realise you can edit what it says under your name anyway, right?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:58 pm
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Steve_
I'm sure this thread already exists in the x hundred pages of threads but when I was going through the whinging thread I was actually thinking of a lot more reasons why I like Canada than dislike it. Frankly rarely a day goes by when I don't think to myself: "Thank God I don't live in the UK anymore".

Some of the things I like:

Space - the UK is too crowded, Calgary is not. And it manifests itself in so many ways, like parking spaces I can actually fit my car into, supermarkets I can walk around;
Lower taxes - in fact way lower taxes in Alberta, the top rate doesn't kick in until you're earning over $127,000 and even then it's 39%. What is it in the UK now, 40% over Ā£35,000 or something? And there's even a 50% bracket for really big earners. 5% GST! $1 a litre for premium gas!
More people to talk to - sort of contrary to my first point but what I mean is that there are 350 million plus people in N America who speak English (sort of), anywhere I go I can talk to people - plus they're usually polite;
Sunshine - okay sort of a praries thing I grant you but God I've been in a better mood ever since I moved to Canada;
Less crapness - by which I mean less yobbos, graffiti, rudeness, urban decay generally. And frankly I think it's not just low population density that's responsible for that one, I think the additional controls on alcohol play a large part too;
Countryside - you can't beat the Rockies on your doorstep. I quite like BC too but I start to go a bit mad when the trees start to close in around me;
Music - I think one of the most underrated things about Canada is that they do have a lot of good musicians here. It's such a relief to turn on the radio and they're not playing boy/girl band manufactured crappo pop on most of the stations.
Clean, very clean.

Supermarkets with tons oh healthy fresh fruit and veg, organic and all inexpensive compared to UK

Fuel is cheaper.

No mot, tax disc etc etc, just one ins fee per year and services to car when needed or when you choose it - I keep on top of it as I am one who happens to look after my car.

I can honestly say I am in paradise when:

(1) Swimming in the ocean in West Van on the North Shore - lovely and warm and clean and clear. Even from 6pm I've gone swimming (you'd never get me doing that in the UK).

(2) Skiing down a local Mountain on the North Shore where you get the best picturesque views of all over Vancouver, at night it is amazingly beautiful as you ride up the chair lifts. Skiing at Whistler (world class ski resort) down the fast 18km peak to creek that is like a huge roller coaster ski run, fantastic! Should have been used for the downhill race during the Olympics.

(3) Rock climbing at Squamish (world class climbing)

We don't have world class resorts in the UK we have to fly to get to them, here in BC I don't need to go fly anywhere you can get everything you want right here which is commonly why locals tend to holiday in BC where they are from, you only need go a short distance drive away to get it, not a drive and a flight. Hence a good reason Vancouver, BC is the best city in the World to live (though you'd never get me living down town - eek. I am all for healthy fresh air and outdoor life).

Free wade pool (outdoor pools) run by volunteer lifeguards who keep that and the toilets clean, fantastic for infants - toddlers and parents on hot summer days, my 11 month old loves it.

Cheaper cost of living, higher standard of living (apart from the homes you live in of course as I said on another post as they are NOT as well built over here, nor as solid as our older homes in the UK with thick walls in comparison).

Beautiful.. absolutely beautiful, the beauty can not be beaten. Driving to the North Shore in the evenings you get so many photographic scenes of sunset - the colours are amazing and so is the beauty of it, I love it.
You drive back from the US and you see how bleak the US in comparison, here it is so green, colourful, healthy, not to mention the food is far far better and tastier. US food sucks in comparison (when eating out).

Freedom. You can go anywhere do anything pretty much and it is all okay (as long as not harming anyone obviously).
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:01 pm
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lmartin999
For the benefit of the other hundreds of people who, apparently, won't have the required five minutes to read the thread and choose instead to only read this, I would suggest that very few of the above apply to living in Toronto. (Not that there could not be a whole different list of things that would apply).

Higher standard of customer service

You've got to be joking???

Have you dealt with customer services for Telus at all? I think you can eat your words right there. That is just one good example. There are plenty others.

Less traffic on the roads

Have you tried driving over Lions gate bridge at rush hours - usually 3 hrs late afternoon to early evening, as well as early morning 7-9 ish, and midday at times.
Hwy 1, has far too much traffic too here in Vancouver, BC.

However, I appreciate that other parts of Canada have it better as far as the traffic goes.

I find the customer services in the UK far better actually, the customer is always right, not found that so much over here in comparison, sometimes yes but not as good or to the same standard from what I've seen and experienced.

Last edited by blackcomb1; Jul 19th 2010 at 9:04 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcomb1
Clean, very clean.

(3) Rock climbing at Squamish (world class climbing)

We don't have world class resorts in the UK we have to fly to get to them, Cheaper cost of living, higher standard of living (apart from the homes you live in of course as I said on another post as they are NOT as well built over here, nor as solid as our older homes in the UK with thick walls in comparison).

Beautiful.. absolutely beautiful, the beauty can not be beaten. Driving to the North Shore in the evenings you get so many photographic scenes of sunset - the colours are amazing and so is the beauty of it, I love it.
You drive back from the US and you see how bleak the US in comparison, here it is so green, colourful, healthy, not to mention the food is far far better and tastier. US food sucks in comparison (when eating out).

Freedom. You can go anywhere do anything pretty much and it is all okay (as long as not harming anyone obviously).
Scotland has all of this
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:06 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Scotland has all of this
Skiing in scotland? I guess it's possible in the 10 minutes of daylight they get in the winter.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:09 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Skiing in scotland? I guess it's possible in the 10 minutes of daylight they get in the winter.
Surely some sort of predictable snowfall in the mountains would be required too? Wouldnt that rule out the usual british skiing suspects.

Still, its not like flying to Europe to ski is any more expensive or inconvenient than for someone in Ontario to fly to Vancouver or Calgary for some real mountains.

Vancouver is nice sounding and all, but its expensive to live in compared to most of canada, and jobs on my field are sadly lacking...

This thread seems to have deviated somewhat from the "whats nice about where I live" origins into debating the pros and cons.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 19th 2010 at 9:12 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Scotland has all of this
Ha ha!

I lived in Scotland for 4 yrs, and though I did love it at the time.. I did not want to move back after visiting -I'd have been bored.

Here is definitely better

Though you could argue that over beer etc of course, and the true pub atmosphere when it comes to sixteen nations rugby and world cup football.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Higher standard of customer service

You've got to be joking???

I'd concur with the original poster, I encounter better customer service. Sorry to hear of your experiences.

It depends on the sector, I guess. You mention telecoms, I've always found Shaw to be fantastic and a great deal more efficient than my last port of call, BT. I have heard bad things about Telus though, so you're not alone there.

I would highlight banking* here in Canada as offering excellent customer service and is one of the things I like about my part of Canada.

Example: TD, my local branch.

Not only is it open from 8-8 weekdays, which is extremely useful, but if I ever have any questions about anything I can call my account manager. Directly. At her desk phone. I'm not a premium account holder, just an ordinary common-or-garden customer. No call centers, just instant access to someone who knows. I also appreciate the lack of glass screens and security paranoia, and the ever-friendly, courteous desk staff.

My wife went in with our new baby the other week to open an account for him. Several days later, a card appeared in the post from the member of staff with whom she dealt, thanking her and him for their new custom.

Hand-written.

People whinge about the cost of banking over here but I'm perfectly happy with the arrangement for all the tangible benefits that (insignificant) expense brings me day to day (in addition to the benefit to me, the taxpayer, of not having to bail the entire sector out when things get tough).

Cheers, Iain

PS. Other areas I encounter excellent customer service - fruit n'veg markets, butchers (nice to be known by name by individual retailers who take the time), petrol stations, etc.

* Usual BE caveat before some oaf tells me that my personal experiences are wrong because they once had a contrary personal experience in some other part of the country, this is in my opinion based upon personal experience, my consumer choices and my location at time of writing

Last edited by Iain Mc; Jul 19th 2010 at 10:28 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005

When did I mention skiing? It is possible to ski in Scotland, particularly backcountry, not for unfit though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.