Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:12 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Originally Posted by quietgiroth
The fact I can watch football on TV without Tommy Smith commenting
Oh yeah, that's another one I forgot about, I can't stand soccer, can easily avoid it in Canada.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Oh yeah, that's another one I forgot about, I can't stand soccer, can easily avoid it in Canada.
Difficult to avoid football the past few weeks. All those cars with flags, all those animated conversations between colleagues who don't usually speak, the weekly rush to the board to check the standings in the pool. I haven't previously seen such excitement over sport in Canada.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Difficult to avoid football the past few weeks. All those cars with flags, all those animated conversations between colleagues who don't usually speak, the weekly rush to the board to check the standings in the pool. I haven't previously seen such excitement over sport in Canada.
It's the only interest I have ever seen in the sport, apart from schoolgirls playing it badly.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

quietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nice

We end up using near the 10gig max, so it is $60 a month. It is fast, but you can't download or watch movies with it online really because of the bandwith limit. If you are in a rural area, and rogers covers the area I give it 2 thumbs up. Best thing is it creates a wireless network, so you can go outside with your laptop and still work!
I did find out after getting it, that if you get the stick they don't charge you anymore money once you have hit the max limit (we have a friend down the road who got one).
We however have 3 computers, so the stick wouldn't really do the job for everyone.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quietgiroth
We end up using near the 10gig max, so it is $60 a month. It is fast, but you can't download or watch movies with it online really because of the bandwith limit. If you are in a rural area, and rogers covers the area I give it 2 thumbs up. Best thing is it creates a wireless network, so you can go outside with your laptop and still work!
I did find out after getting it, that if you get the stick they don't charge you anymore money once you have hit the max limit (we have a friend down the road who got one).
We however have 3 computers, so the stick wouldn't really do the job for everyone.
I get the impression too that the stick is more marginal when there is a low signal level. Signal level is my problem... we had a guy come out and try a stick, but even with the booster antenna it was only any good in one corner of the house, and even then it was not super fast.

With the built in LAN there is the potential to leave the rocket unit in one spot and still have wireless availability throughout the house, so I will have to look into it.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
It's the only interest I have ever seen in the sport, apart from schoolgirls playing it badly.
You need to get out of cradle land as in many urban centres...Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal/Vancouver it is approaching or eclipsing participation rates of hockey.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
You need to get out of cradle land as in many urban centres...Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal/Vancouver it is approaching or eclipsing participation rates of hockey.
I was amused by that Rogers ad on the telly during the world cup with those blokes in the office sneakily watching the "soccer" on their computer and phone.

Just who were they all cheering for?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was amused by that Rogers ad on the telly during the world cup with those blokes in the office sneakily watching the "soccer" on their computer and phone.

Just who were they all cheering for?
Really, I never saw that ad...it must have only been on once I think they were cheering for North Korea.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Really, I never saw that ad...it must have only been on once I think they were cheering for North Korea.
That was a particularly misleading advert. In this office everyone watched the games online. There's nothing here from Rogers.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:30 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
All those cars with flags,
What I learned from that is that there are far more Brazilian construction workers in Calgary than I previously thought.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

urban centres
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

For adults? Soccer is the largest participation sport for kids in rural canada, and has been for years. But then its a lot cheaper. Not too many carry on as adults though. Is it not exactly the same in the big cities?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

one nice thing about being in my part of canada (what!!!? back smack on topic!!!?)....

it is now hometime on a friday; time to indulge in excessive hydration, just as my buddies back in Blighty are beginning to feel the ill-effects of such an evening's activity.

oh bless the interweb, its myriad forms of free (and drunken) communication and this spherical, multi-time zoned planet!

bon weekends!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 2:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
NME Radio online is pretty bloody good aswell.
I have since investigated. You're right it is bloody good.

The "playing now" thing is a bit slow to update and one was so slow earlier the next track came on without it saying what it was.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:20 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I have since investigated. You're right it is bloody good.

The "playing now" thing is a bit slow to update and one was so slow earlier the next track came on without it saying what it was.
We get it through our TV Sky box. Loads of different stations on there. Old soul heads like myself enjoy Solar radio which was a pirate when i was a kid. Jazzie B's show on Sundays is excellent. Glad you're enjoying it. I worked for NME back in the 80's, best job i ever had!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.