Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice
Default Re: What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Seems a pretty pointless waste of time given that no-one needed it though. Strange...
I did and I'm sure others will. Didn't know you speak for everyone that visits this site. It might be pointless for you but that doesn't mean its pointless for others who are seeing this thread for the first time.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:07 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
I did and I'm sure others will. Didn't know you speak for everyone that visits this site. It might be pointless for you but that doesn't mean its pointless for others who are seeing this thread for the first time.
We could start a poll?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Originally Posted by lmartin999
We could start a poll?
Grow up!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Your the only one I see in the thread that disagrees, the majority agree. /
Would not count on that.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:16 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Your the only one I see in the thread that disagrees, the majority agree. I summarised the thread. Everyone will of course have different views/
But the thread is about my part of Canada, and in mid-town Toronto more space is not a benefit. Good subway access would be. Perhaps you can add this to your summary?

Of course if you acknowledge everyone has different views then surely this means it is pointless to try and summarise?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:21 pm

In summary this is what people seem to be agreeing on:

Knocking down buildings and replace with new.
Supermarkets are huge and less choice, which can be seen as a good thing. Good quality items and not much of that rubbish ready meal stuff.
Less taxes
Lots of green space
Space in general (everyone seems to love it)
Friendly people
Less yobs around
Less stressful - The slower pace of life
Kids can be kids – in pretty much every way possible
Less traffic on the roads
Believe it or not a lot of people like the weather – good sunny days.
Bigger houses
No MOT on your car
Plenty of parking and cheap
Higher standard of customer service
Less crime
no fences around peoples gardens so you don't feel all enclosed in your own tiny little space
Sense of community
For the benefit of the other hundreds of people who, apparently, won't have the required five minutes to read the thread and choose instead to only read this, I would suggest that very few of the above apply to living in Toronto. (Not that there could not be a whole different list of things that would apply).
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:26 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Since Steve is selfish and cant do a nice deed.
Just to prove how nice I can actually be.

I'll volunteer to come over to your place then you can give me your ticket and I'll do your recci for you and send you a summary.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

No MOT on your car
I think that's a good one up until a bad day winter day when everyone on bald tires wrecks their car and I can't get anywhere. I never cease to be amazed by some of the deathtraps I see on the road here.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Bollocks. I couldn't find the summary in the middle of these 15 pages, so I had to read the whole thing.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

No MOT (or Cdn equivalent).....now that's bollox...

Every province I have lived in has had such a program including my current one.

Here in NB it is referred to as the Motor Vehicle Inspection Program.

http://www.gnb.ca/0276/vehicle/mvip-e.asp

But I would agree on occasion you pass by some real pieces of junk...which still apparently manage to tick all the right boxes, at least at the time of inspection.

The tires, bulbs and what have you may be borrowed though for the purposes of inspection.....returned to the original owner/vehicle soon after.....other tricks are moving the inspection sticker from a valid vehicle to one that is not in the hope that the chances of being nicked are small....Umm
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
No MOT (or Cdn equivalent).....now that's bollox...

There is no inspection program in BC other than for commercial vehicles. The lower mainland has an immisions test, but that's it.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:58 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
There is no inspection program in BC other than for commercial vehicles. The lower mainland has an emissions test, but that's it.
Absolutely nothing in Alberta.

The closest we come to any sort of testing is the city police along with Alberta Transportation inspectors will do roadside checks of trucks and commercial vehicles. Many fail.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:20 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not gona bother reading the astronomical amount of pages.

Anyone care to summaries what everyone has been saying, id suspect everyone would agree there's more space for example.
Most people are saying that areas of Canada are no different to the UK, other than the size of houses and vehicles.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:57 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought what i said was self explanatory. Re-read it. I know no body expected me to I did it to be nice for those that don't want to read multiple pages of a hand bag fight over TV and radio.
But your summary will be lost in the "noise" so summarising is pointless.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
There is no inspection program in BC other than for commercial vehicles. The lower mainland has an immisions test, but that's it.

I should have remembered that.....I lived in BC some years ago.

In NB....they have an annual safety...but no emissions test...go figure..

You can't make this stuff up....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.