Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you eat at christmas?

What do you eat at christmas?

Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough
Default What do you eat at christmas?

Just wondered what the traditional things are. Like in the UK we have tins of quality street chocolate. (ive actually seen little tins in walmart but there 17$)
So what are you guys going to be feasting on ????
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:52 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you eat at christmas?

My traditional Tolberone-bar-big-enough-to-kill-a-man-with.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

I usually spend Christmas with my girlfriends family, they are all Polish immigrants, came here about 15 years ago.

We celebrate it on Christmas Eve, were we are not allowed to eat any meat (except fish I think) and there is one part where they all have some white paper (I think its like the stuff Catholics get in mass) and you have to break off small pieces and give it to each family member and give them good wishes for the up coming year. Quite nice actually.

Christmas day i go to my friends house, they all moved here from Huddersfield. My mates mum makes a full Christmas dinner English style and we get drunk and watch TV afterwards... she even gets those dodgy crackers sent over. I always seem to get a 'mystery calculator' in mine...

This year however... I will be spending Christmas with my Dad and Brothers in Sunny Rochdale!!!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannyg1001
I usually spend Christmas with my girlfriends family, they are all Polish immigrants, came here about 15 years ago.

We celebrate it on Christmas Eve, were we are not allowed to eat any meat (except fish I think) and there is one part where they all have some white paper (I think its like the stuff Catholics get in mass) and you have to break off small pieces and give it to each family member and give them good wishes for the up coming year. Quite nice actually.

Christmas day i go to my friends house, they all moved here from Huddersfield. My mates mum makes a full Christmas dinner English style and we get drunk and watch TV afterwards... she even gets those dodgy crackers sent over. I always seem to get a 'mystery calculator' in mine...

This year however... I will be spending Christmas with my Dad and Brothers in Sunny Rochdale!!!
All variations sound lovely in their own way!

Whereabouts in Huddersfield are your friends from?!

Enjoy Rochdale!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Simon_Nikki is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

We are bored with the "traditional" English christmas dinner, we love our Indians so we are in the process of finding out how Indians "do" Christmas, got to be the way forward!

If anyone reading this has any ideas some tips please!

Si n' Nik
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Simon_Nikki
Hi all,

We are bored with the "traditional" English christmas dinner, we love our Indians so we are in the process of finding out how Indians "do" Christmas, got to be the way forward!

If anyone reading this has any ideas some tips please!

Si n' Nik
"Our" Indians??
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
"Our" Indians??
They're referring to the food! As in 'shall we have an Indian tonight?'.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They're referring to the food! As in 'shall we have an Indian tonight?'.
Are you sure?? When they said we are finding out how Indians do Christmas I thought they meant people?? I think I see what you mean.

So can I recommend Mamta'a kitchen as a good recipe website for those Indian meals.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Are you sure?? When they said we are finding out how Indians do Christmas I thought they meant people?? I think I see what you mean.
I think they were referring to people in that instance but I'm pretty sure that the 'our Indians' reference was used as a generic term in reference to the food rather rather than any proprietary racial term!!

Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think they were referring to people in that instance but I'm pretty sure that the 'our Indians' reference was used as a generic term in reference to the food rather rather than any proprietary racial term!!

Phew, I was surprised to see it.

An Indian cuisine style meal at Christmas sounds a good idea though, instead of waiting for the turkey curry !
Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

We celebrate it on Christmas Eve, were we are not allowed to eat any meat (except fish I think) ...
Carp is the traditional Polish Christmas Eve dish.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:24 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We enjoy a traditional Scotch broth, turkey and trimmings, xmas pudding/gateau.

Continually eat chocolate throughout the day - starting at breakfast time

Always have a giant sized Toblerone too - though not all at once

Even though the kids are getting older, on the run up to Christmas we always watch Home Alone 1, 2 & 4 plus Diehard. OH likes to watch Zulu
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by adele
All variations sound lovely in their own way!

Whereabouts in Huddersfield are your friends from?!

Enjoy Rochdale!
Mirfield I believe, and they are all completely insane (in a good way)
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

they are all completely insane (in a good way)
I think that trait applies to all us Huddersfudlians!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:56 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ill_only_miss_eastenders
Just wondered what the traditional things are. Like in the UK we have tins of quality street chocolate. (ive actually seen little tins in walmart but there 17$)
So what are you guys going to be feasting on ????
We eat vegetarian Indian because we're vegetarian and traditional xmas dinner wouldn't work very well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.