Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Originally Posted by magnumpi
And Fries is originally a French thing not USA
Jesus wept. I suppose pommes frites is Russian?
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
If that were the case you'd be ordering chips with your burgers.
But you can order fish and chips though and pay by cheque.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 11:55 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The last page or so of this thread really takes the biscuit. I think you're all cookie.
I know I am

Jesus wept. I suppose pommes frites is Russian?
No that's the salad, you know the horrid one with diced frozen veggies and salad cream.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent insight. They don't understand that living somewhere that requires cars, especially more than one of them, consigns them automatically (DYSWIDT) to the more stupid class.
Well that's me in the stupid class then...

Originally Posted by alpine_swift
4. Canadian biscuits are simply crap and not many to choose from at all, there're imported McVitie's from the UK but very expensive, even the local cream crackers are abysmal.
5. No distinctive culture.
I find some of the President's choice crackers pretty good. I love the rosemary ones, and the assorted box is identical to what I would have bought in the Uk. Some of their biscuits (shortbread esp) are made in theUK too. No, I don't work for them, but biscuits are IMPORTANT, and I rapidly got sick of Oreos, etc.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Try these when they're on sale - about $2 a pack. Make sure they're the ordinary oatmeal ones.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...08fc3e1ffb.jpg
If you close your eyes they pass for hobnobs.
My son would agree.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Why are scones called tea biscuits here?
Any why don't you get butter with them?

Things I don't like, being too far from the sea, no cats eyes, no decent radio to listen to in the car.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 3:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
no decent radio to listen to in the car.
That's easily fixed, Sirius carries the BBC World Service as well as umpteen advert free music channels.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

no cats eyes
I have always heard this is because snow ploughs would take them off. NO idea if that is true.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's easily fixed, Sirius carries the BBC World Service as well as umpteen advert free music channels.
I tried Sirius but the world service is very strongly weighted towards Africa, and other less developed parts of the world, which can be interesting but not all the time. Music I get enough of when the kids are in the car, the rest of the time I survive on downloads of the archers, news quiz/now show, and fighting talk supplemented by cbc1 (which is a bit like permanently listening to 'you and yours') or 680 in case the weather forecast has changed in the three minutes since they last broadcast it. Audio books help though.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 4:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I tried Sirius but the world service is very strongly weighted towards Africa, and other less developed parts of the world, which can be interesting but not all the time. Music I get enough of when the kids are in the car, the rest of the time I survive on downloads of the archers, news quiz/now show, and fighting talk supplemented by cbc1 (which is a bit like permanently listening to 'you and yours') or 680 in case the weather forecast has changed in the three minutes since they last broadcast it. Audio books help though.
They used to carry Radio One, time shifted so the breakfast show was on at breakfast time. I found the weather forecast given to be as useful and accurate as that on the CBC.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I am I said
I have always heard this is because snow ploughs would take them off. NO idea if that is true.
It is, of course, true. It was tried many years ago but quickly abandoned because of the damage done to the highway.

How many cats eyes do you think would be left after this snow plowing exercise.

Old Oct 19th 2015, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
It is, of course, true. It was tried many years ago but quickly abandoned because of the damage done to the highway.

How many cats eyes do you think would be left after this snow plowing exercise.

http://youtu.be/lUds1pWKMjs
It may once have been true but there are plenty of roads in America and in Switzerland that have both cat's eyes and snowploughs so, with the technology of today, it can be done. My guess is that Ontario doesn't have cat's eyes today because it didn't have them yesterday and things move slowly out here.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 4:39 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I find car insurance a tad pricey and I'm no fan of the humidity in summer. Beyond that, income taxes are too low and people seem far too inclined to vote Liberal over and over again.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
I find car insurance a tad pricey and I'm no fan of the humidity in summer. Beyond that, income taxes are too low and people seem far too inclined to vote Liberal over and over again.
a quick look at Plasticcanuck's video and you get an inkling why car insurance is high.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 5:17 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It may once have been true but there are plenty of roads in America and in Switzerland that have both cat's eyes and snowploughs so, with the technology of today, it can be done. My guess is that Ontario doesn't have cat's eyes today because it didn't have them yesterday and things move slowly out here.
I would have thought the bigger problem would be water getting into the catseye/ road substrate and wrecking it via freeze-thaw.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I would have thought the bigger problem would be water getting into the catseye/ road substrate and wrecking it via freeze-thaw.
Is freeze-thaw really much of an issue to infrastructure outside of Alberta
Old Oct 19th 2015, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by orly
people seem far too inclined to vote Liberal over and over again.
I do that, it's my duty as an immigrant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.