Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Old Oct 23rd 2015, 10:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Originally Posted by Shard
Nevertheless, the stats in this table seem descriptive enough.
Yep, that's the site I discovered the truth.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 10:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
You can get an electric snow blower for about $300 in crappy tire. And you shouldn't really need much more in TO.
That is soooo wrong.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I found a map that could be played with to show snow depth etc., over some of Canada. You can find it here.

That shows depth of snow on the ground not amount that has fallen to date in the season.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Tried to find a pretty snowfall map of Canada, and despite plenty of US examples, could not find one. Nevertheless, the stats in this table seem descriptive enough.

Average Yearly Snowfall in Canadian Cities - Current Results
I think some of those are low. Ottawa shows up as 223 cm here and I have seen 235 cm listed as average. In 2007-2008 we had something like 435 cm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa#Climate
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 11:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
That shows depth of snow on the ground not amount that has fallen to date in the season.
If you look at the drop down on the far left top, you can change it to whatever you want - that includes snowfall for up to 3 days either side of the date you input. You are correct that it doesn't show the amount fallen to date over the complete season though, so apologies.

Whilst this isn't a map, you can get information for the amount of snowfall over the season for major Cities in Canada (you may need to tweak it using the dropdowns for the City, time period and type of info you want). I found it quite accurate. Snowfall over the Last Year for Charlottetown http://toronto.weatherstats.ca/charts/snow-1year.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 23rd 2015 at 11:58 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 11:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allycat231
In PEI cats eyes are sunken into the road, allowing the snow plough to pass over.
Pretty much what most US does even in places where it does nor snow.

Most of BC the regions I go to dont have them at all, makes driving at night a bit stressful sometimes. White lane markings + rain + poorly lit highway = hard to see.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 11:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a friend who had a heart attack shoveling snow. Her landlord felt bad considering he was being a prick and knew she had an existinf heart issue. Luckily wasnt fatal.

Shoveling snow is one the hardest things I have done. No way I would do it again atleast without a machine.

From 1981 to 2010 Enviro Canada says we avg 87cm yr. Seems a bit high but I venture 20 yrs from now the avg will be a lot lower. Snow isnt too common anymore around here.

The peak overlooking town still has no fresh snow pack, usually has a nice white covering by this time of the year.

Excuse the abbreviations and any errors in typing. Using a phone to post is a pain.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The gentleman who owned my house died when shovelling snow. It happens more often than people think - in one storm last winter, 3 died in Hamilton alone. Three men die of heart attacks while shovelling snow

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 24th 2015 at 11:27 am.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 1:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Shoveling snow is one the hardest things I have done. No way I would do it again at least without a machine.
From your time in Ontario?

The early snowfalls are not so bad. Shovels are so well designed here that pushing often is enough.

It's the wet heavy stuff or deep drifts that are more problematic. And, of course, the ridges left at the end of the drive from the city plow. But in the first 6 winters here there were only three occasions when shovels weren't enough and one of those was only because access to the garage was needed when my mother in law moved.

A combination of not being as fit as I was and definitely bigger snowfalls means calling a guy with a plow quite often now.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 1:57 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That is soooo wrong.
Morally or practically?

When I bought a chainsaw everyone insisted I needed a gasoline one; I went ahead and bought a cheapo electric one and it was fine for the task and everything since. I appreciate a battery one would probably be useless though.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 10:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Morally or practically?
Practically. An electric "snow brush" is OK for clearing an inch or two off the deck but that's it.

When I bought a chainsaw everyone insisted I needed a gasoline one; I went ahead and bought a cheapo electric one and it was fine for the task and everything since. I appreciate a battery one would probably be useless though.
I didn't know that you live in a condo.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
From your time in Ontario?
Edmonton. We rented a house there and had to clear snow off the city sidewalk out front.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

The early snowfalls are not so bad. Shovels are so well designed here that pushing often is enough.

It's the wet heavy stuff or deep drifts that are more problematic. And, of course, the ridges left at the end of the drive from the city plow.
And when the banks of previously shovelled snow get so high that it's physically nigh on impossible to throw the new stuff up over them. Or when you can walk/sledge straight off the roof & down the piles of shovelled snow...

I doubt this happens too often in Toronto, however .
Old Oct 27th 2015, 12:25 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Shirtback
And when the banks of previously shovelled snow get so high that it's physically nigh on impossible to throw the new stuff up over them.

And imagine if that was coupled with a requirement to do the sidewalk as well.

Or when you can walk/sledge straight off the roof & down the piles of shovelled snow...
There was a video on youtube last winter of people jumping out of bedroom windows into the snow.

Mind you, this was a tad more extreme

I doubt this (deep snow) happens too often in Toronto, however .
Yes, that's why a move to somewhere between Kingston and London (or around the corner to Hamilton) from Moncton is appealing.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

And imagine if that was coupled with a requirement to do the sidewalk as well.
Sidewalk?? What sidewalk???

Yes, that's why a move to somewhere between Kingston and London (or around the corner to Hamilton) from Moncton is appealing.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 1:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that Moncton has lots of snow and Toronto does not but I think you want to be a bit careful with this idea.

The Toronto that has balmy weather is Toronto proper, within the DVP, lake, 427, Bloor Street. In this area one might own a snow shovel but most years one could clear the snow by peeing on it.

Suburban Toronto, say out to the end of the TTC, gets some snow, one would want a shovel. If one were a BMW or Lexus type of person one would have a walk behind blower (and blow only the driveway, not the sidewalk, as is their habit).

Exurban Toronto, say out to the end of the GO train, sometimes gets a couple of feet in a fall. Here a walk behind blower isn't silly and winter tyres are worthy of consideration.

LondonOnt, Hamilton, places west, get lake effect snow. They're not Buffalo but they are places where one would wait for the plough before driving and a subscription to a truck and blade service would be worth thinking about.

If I wanted to save my aching back, I wouldn't look to move west of Toronto.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.