Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Old Oct 15th 2015, 5:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Originally Posted by I am I said
In case it is not obvious, I am a Canadian living in the UK. I mostly lurk on this forum and have done so for years, regularly musing over going 'home'.

But, then I think of the price of wine and cheese, the thick people, the dreadful weather and the mosquitos....
That was prize

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I must try to remember that the next time I need to give examples of how it's not just Brits that concern themselves with class type distinctions.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 5:50 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
In Southern Ontario we have exactly equal portions of weather, on average we have 4 months of summer weather, 4 months of winter weather and 4 months of inbetween weather. Winter may seem longer but its not, .
That's an interesting way to look at it - in thirds, rather than quarters. Great post.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

After reading your post, I hear you on these silly complaints people seem to have about Canada so thought id add my view on them....

As a Brit who has lived in Canada for over 6 years, i must have turned Canadian, i loved the cottage retreat by the lake, its my idea of paradise, however i opted for the boat as i couldnt afford a cottage or the time to maintain it, the boat also allows me to explore the miles and miles of rivers and lakes in Ontario....which are truly beautiful.

I love cheese, its one of my favourite foods, id almost go as far as to say i am obsessed with it! lol but i dont consider the price of it something to be bothered with, its just puzzling as to why, i can buy Canadian cheaper in the UK than I can here, but really, who the hell cares!

My Canadian friends must be a alternative breed as none of them are thick or struggle with the British sense of humour, or for that matter are shallow and just "surface friendly" i have made some real meaningful friendships, and ive found some of these people have done as much or even more for me than family ever would. Nothing is ever too much trouble, they are always there for me.

Finally the weather....ive never understood the issue. Unlike the UK Canada gets defined seasons (except for spring which is usually ommited) its cold in winter (anyone who considers moving here should know that, i knew that when i was 7 years old ) and summer is hot, which it should be so you can do summer things! Ok its humid, but if your house, work and car are AC controlled and your sat next to some water (for a cooling dip) during you relaxing time outdoors its fine!

In Southern Ontario we have exactly equal portions of weather, on average we have 4 months of summer weather, 4 months of winter weather and 4 months of inbetween weather. Winter may seem longer but its not, the only thing that bothers me about winter is the windchill. It feels like ive had my face ripped off! but again i think this is something i can deal with.

Yes there little things that are annoying about Ontario, (like the stupid archaic liquer laws) but as a whole suits me fine!

Needless to say there have been zero musings from me about going "home" Ontario and Canada is my home now.
Hey now, not all of Canada gets all that cold in winter or hot in the summer or has high humidity...

Unless it's a heat wave or a cold wave in winter, it's typically very mild around these parts of coastal BC....
Old Oct 15th 2015, 6:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...its cold in winter (anyone who considers moving here should know that, i knew that when i was 7 years old )..
And when you're all dressed up for it - for that long walk to the car well you probably feel colder in the UK when it's a bit nippy out and you should have put on a scarf.

But there's this other phenomenon called snow.

You're lucky enough to be in that stretch of Ontario that gets about half what we get and you lot consider it too much.

So one day, when you've all deserted, I might move over and "have it easy" unless there's still room in Kelowna.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
My issue with it is not only the financial implications (I'm unusual in that adding a 17 year old to my car insurance would probably make the average premium per driver lower) but that it doesn't provide the child with the same level of independence as giving him or her a bus stop.
Totally agree living near a bus stop is a plus.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
For me to go on my parents cars as a secondary driver, it was "only" $700/year. If they were to buy me one (which they won't be) it would have been $500 a month. This is in small-town Ontario. YMMV.
Our daughter (18) is an 'occasional' driver on both of our cars. She caused it to go up by about $100/year.

Now she is over 100 km away from our home, we got a new(ish) car that is worth a lot more than the one it replaced, we have winter tyres and we park one car in the garage and the net difference was an increase of $2/month as a result of the newer car. Winter tyres and parking in the garage reduced the costs.

We pay $151/month for 2 cars.

$700 for one year is a lot. What kind of car are you listed on.?
Old Oct 15th 2015, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Our daughter (18) is an 'occasional' driver on both of our cars. She caused it to go up by about $100/year.

Now she is over 100 km away from our home, we got a new(ish) car that is worth a lot more than the one it replaced, we have winter tyres and we park one car in the garage and the net difference was an increase of $2/month as a result of the newer car. Winter tyres and parking in the garage reduced the costs.

They give you a discount for winter tires?

151 for 2 cars is cheap.

I am in BC where rates tend to be high, we pay 120 for 1 car and that is with a full 40% discount for being claims free and 20 years experience.

They don't care about tires, and never have asked if the car is parked inside or outside.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

IME $700 increase for an occasional driver who is a 16 year old male is really cheap. It cost us close to $2000 extra for our son as an occasional when he was 16.
We currently pay something like $475 for three drivers, three cars, the youngest driver is 20 and is primary driver on a car that is registered to me. Number 2 son is just about to take his test, I am hoping that already paying for one young driver will somewhat mitigate the damage this time.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 10:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

They live in a small town technically part of Hamilton that has no public transit. The people in the community are fine with it as I get the sense that they equate pubic transit with the lesser classes.
Excellent insight. They don't understand that living somewhere that requires cars, especially more than one of them, consigns them automatically (DYSWIDT) to the more stupid class.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

The $700 covers both of the cars i'm on, a 2014 F150 and a 2015 Lincoln MKC. Both got brand new last year, so that's probably why, as well as the fact that i'm a male vs female.

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
IME $700 increase for an occasional driver who is a 16 year old male is really cheap. It cost us close to $2000 extra for our son as an occasional when he was 16.
We currently pay something like $475 for three drivers, three cars, the youngest driver is 20 and is primary driver on a car that is registered to me. Number 2 son is just about to take his test, I am hoping that already paying for one young driver will somewhat mitigate the damage this time.
Wow. $2k for an occasional! Is younger one about to go for his G1 or G2?
Old Oct 16th 2015, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

The $700 covers both of the cars i'm on, a 2014 F150 and a 2015 Lincoln MKC. Both got brand new last year, so that's probably why, as well as the fact that i'm a male vs female.

Wow. $2k for an occasional! Is younger one about to go for his G1 or G2?
G2, just finishing up his Drivers Ed. in car hours. The insurance doesn't change for the G1, it only goes up when you get G2.

I suspect the occasional went up such a lot because our policy had a number of discounts for older drivers with good record attached to it, these were removed when we added our young driver. Interestingly when he had to get his own car (he is doing a co-op course at Uni and needs a car for the working part as he has to visit clients) that insurance company were the cheapest by some measure for him to go on as primary driver - its still $3000 for the year though, some quoted over $8000.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 2:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Gender can no longer be lawfully used as a rating factor. Rates for females have been raised to eliminate the inequality.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
G2, just finishing up his Drivers Ed. in car hours. The insurance doesn't change for the G1, it only goes up when you get G2.

I suspect the occasional went up such a lot because our policy had a number of discounts for older drivers with good record attached to it, these were removed when we added our young driver. Interestingly when he had to get his own car (he is doing a co-op course at Uni and needs a car for the working part as he has to visit clients) that insurance company were the cheapest by some measure for him to go on as primary driver - its still $3000 for the year though, some quoted over $8000.
With the high cost of insurance for young people, I am surprised young people even drive anymore, well I guess more and more are not (at least around here) because insurance is so insane for them.
Old Oct 17th 2015, 2:13 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The most my daughter has paid, was the second year as she had a crash and that $1300 for the year. I thought that was ok, 3rd year its down again by a coupke of hundred.
Old Oct 17th 2015, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
The most my daughter has paid, was the second year as she had a crash and that $1300 for the year. I thought that was ok, 3rd year its down again by a coupke of hundred.
Did she have an older car? Even with full 43% discount we still pay 1,450/yr with 20 years experience and no claims ever.

I got some quotes for Edmonton, and used to be cheaper there, but quotes brought back are the same as we pay now or slightly more, seems insurance went up in Edmonton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.