Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Old Oct 15th 2015, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

My British experience equivalent of you being perplexed by cottages/nearby caravans is the sea side. I was amazed to see families blue with the cold huddled behind a windbreak [even in August] next to the sea.
In case it is not obvious, I am a Canadian living in the UK. I mostly lurk on this forum and have done so for years, regularly musing over going 'home'. But, then I think of the price of wine and cheese, the thick people, the dreadful weather and the mosquitos....
Old Oct 15th 2015, 10:49 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I am I said
My British experience equivalent of you being perplexed by cottages/nearby caravans is the sea side. I was amazed to see families blue with the cold huddled behind a windbreak [even in August] next to the sea.
In case it is not obvious, I am a Canadian living in the UK. I mostly lurk on this forum and have done so for years, regularly musing over going 'home'. But, then I think of the price of wine and cheese, the thick people, the dreadful weather and the mosquitos....
There's a certain stoicism in it.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 10:54 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
I don't know whether or not Canada would give us more of what we want in life. I'm still trying to figure out whether it's worth getting a work transfer there and giving it a shot.

But here goes. My top 5 things in no particular order that I dislike about Sydney/NSW:

es.
This is a cogent analysis (and a very good thread, by the way). Many expats in Canada often overlook the benefits of living next to the USA (professional and travel) and other positive aspects of North American culture.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
3. Limited access to the natural environment. We thrive on a reasonably outdoorsy, but not hardcore extreme sports, lifestyle. Sydney as a city is a really quite beautiful, as are the Blue Mountains and the coastline. But we can't get out and enjoy the outdoors in a relaxing manner anywhere much as we'd like.
Assuming urban parks and bar patios aren't "outdoorsy" enough ...
  • This is achieveable in Ontario, sometimes, but it's not like living in a MEC or LL Bean catalogue. Location is important and that means not Toronto. I lived in the Beach area of Toronto for many years and, for several of those years, went to Schomberg for the weekend mornings. It routinely took three hours to drive back (which would have been much worse in the cottage traffic). Four hours in the car for four hours in the country isn't much of a deal. It's equally hard to get out of, or in to, the city going east or west.
  • We now live in a reasonably rural location (it's 90 minutes to the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto, note that the market opens at 5am on Saturday, it's not 90 minutes at 6 on a weekday) and have several hundred acres of conservation land across the road. We walk the dogs on that land when:
  • there isn't too much snow
  • it's not hunting season
  • it's not too buggy
That is, the countryside is available but there are a number of reasons why it's not as accessible as, say, the South Downs or Dartmoor even if you don't consider the lack of rights of way in Ontario (most land and nearly all coast is privately owned). If you could find work in, say, K-W, then you'd have a lot of outdoor opportunities though no mountains and no ocean. I'd say it's no good for children, they should be in a proper city, but that's another matter.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Many expats in Canada often overlook the benefits of living next to the USA
I do not. Wine and building supplies are fetched from Buffalo and, whilst there, we exploit the many cultural facilities. Oh, and 75% of our income comes from America, that's not something to forget.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 12:25 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by dbd33
Assuming urban parks and bar patios aren't "outdoorsy"
ggy[/LIST]That is, the countryside is available but there are a number of reasons why it's not as accessible as, say, the South Downs or Dartmoor even if you don't consider the lack of rights of way in Ontario (most land and nearly all coast is privately owned). If you could find work in, say, K-W, then you'd have a lot of outdoor opportunities though no mountains and no ocean. I'd say it's no good for children, they should be in a proper city, but that's another matter.
What are the good older child rearing areas in Toronto/GTA or is it much of a muchness ? I find countryside good fun for younger children, but see a point where culture and stimulation will trump mud and water.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 1:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Shard
What are the good older child rearing areas in Toronto/GTA or is it much of a muchness ?
Anywhere on the subway or streetcar network; the usual suspects are Leaside, the Beach, High Park, Riverdale, Leslieville. Cabbagetown would be good too. If you're ok with something more suburban then up the Yonge line into Lastman Land. Once you're past the end of the TTC then you're into the whole giving them each a car to drive home from drink/drug binges thing; I didn't want to fund any of that.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 2:09 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, this is spot on. There's even a competitive aspect to cottaging, who's is bigger, who has the better boat, who's on the more prestigious lake.
Competitive cottaging. Nowhere else in the world do you get this much free humour from the indigenes.

Originally Posted by bats
Trailers, don't forget trailer parks. Those who can't afford a cottage get a trailer. Bizarrely often only a few miles from where they live.
A friend of mine got a trailer and hasn't looked back. There's a partying camaraderie like your local pub there, it reminds me a bit of childhood holidays to a holiday camp in blighty. You just let the kids run free and alls good.

I'm not likely to ever get a trailer, mind.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Competitive cottaging. Nowhere else in the world do you get this much free humour from the indigenes.

A friend of mine got a trailer and hasn't looked back. There's a partying camaraderie like your local pub there, it reminds me a bit of childhood holidays to a holiday camp in blighty. You just let the kids run free and alls good.

I'm not likely to ever get a trailer, mind.
Friends of ours here in Ottawa who are originally from Scotland head to a trailer at a campground from May until October. They love the camaraderie there. When the wife in the couple had a 50th birthday party here in Ottawa more than 1/2 of the 60 or 70 at the party were from the trailer park. The combination of cinquante en fut and people dancing to wedding type music at a legion was a sight to behold.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Once you're past the end of the TTC then you're into the whole giving them each a car to drive home from drink/drug binges thing; I didn't want to fund any of that.
My B-I-L and S-I-L subscribe to that idea. They live in a small town technically part of Hamilton that has no public transit. The people in the community are fine with it as I get the sense that they equate pubic transit with the lesser classes. Their son is 15 and in their mind when he is 16 he can drive and they will buy him a car. Not sure if they've considered the costs in all of that.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 3:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
...no public transit. The people in the community are fine with it as I get the sense that they equate pubic transit with the lesser classes....
I must try to remember that the next time I need to give examples of how it's not just Brits that concern themselves with class type distinctions.

Brings to mind Thatcher's comment "any man who finds himself on a bus at the age of 26 can account himself a failure."
Old Oct 15th 2015, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I must try to remember that the next time I need to give examples of how it's not just Brits that concern themselves with class type distinctions.

Brings to mind Thatcher's reported comment "any man who finds himself on a bus at the age of 26 can account himself a failure."
I get the sense that people in the community equate public transit with housing density and that is to be avoided. The people in this community didn't move to new subdivisions formerly on farm fields to have other people move there and demand buses.

Last weekend, we went to visit these members of my wife's family. My S-I-L asked me to drive her daughter to a dance class. I didn't know where it was so asked for directions. It turns out it was on the ground floor of a 3 storey building with ground floor retail and 2 floors of apartments. She described it as being on the ground floor of the huge new apartment building. I gave her a hard time about describing it as a 'huge' apartment building. Different expectations I guess.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 4:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Not sure if they've considered the costs in all of that.
My issue with it is not only the financial implications (I'm unusual in that adding a 17 year old to my car insurance would probably make the average premium per driver lower) but that it doesn't provide the child with the same level of independence as giving him or her a bus stop.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

My issue with it is not only the financial implications (I'm unusual in that adding a 17 year old to my car insurance would probably make the average premium per driver lower) but that it doesn't provide the child with the same level of independence as giving him or her a bus stop.
For me to go on my parents cars as a secondary driver, it was "only" $700/year. If they were to buy me one (which they won't be) it would have been $500 a month. This is in small-town Ontario. YMMV.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I am I said
After reading your post, I hear you on these silly complaints people seem to have about Canada so thought id add my view on them....

As a Brit who has lived in Canada for over 6 years, i must have turned Canadian, i loved the cottage retreat by the lake, its my idea of paradise, however i opted for the boat as i couldnt afford a cottage or the time to maintain it, the boat also allows me to explore the miles and miles of rivers and lakes in Ontario....which are truly beautiful.

I love cheese, its one of my favourite foods, id almost go as far as to say i am obsessed with it! lol but i dont consider the price of it something to be bothered with, its just puzzling as to why, i can buy Canadian cheaper in the UK than I can here, but really, who the hell cares!

My Canadian friends must be a alternative breed as none of them are thick or struggle with the British sense of humour, or for that matter are shallow and just "surface friendly" i have made some real meaningful friendships, and ive found some of these people have done as much or even more for me than family ever would. Nothing is ever too much trouble, they are always there for me.

Finally the weather....ive never understood the issue. Unlike the UK Canada gets defined seasons (except for spring which is usually ommited) its cold in winter (anyone who considers moving here should know that, i knew that when i was 7 years old ) and summer is hot, which it should be so you can do summer things! Ok its humid, but if your house, work and car are AC controlled and your sat next to some water (for a cooling dip) during you relaxing time outdoors its fine!

In Southern Ontario we have exactly equal portions of weather, on average we have 4 months of summer weather, 4 months of winter weather and 4 months of inbetween weather. Winter may seem longer but its not, the only thing that bothers me about winter is the windchill. It feels like ive had my face ripped off! but again i think this is something i can deal with.

Yes there little things that are annoying about Ontario, (like the stupid archaic liquer laws) but as a whole suits me fine!

Needless to say there have been zero musings from me about going "home" Ontario and Canada is my home now.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Oct 15th 2015 at 5:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.