Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Old Oct 13th 2015, 11:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Originally Posted by magnumpi

Tail gaiters (NASCAR wanabees)
teehee, is that somewhat like leg gaiters.

Ok. My dislikes apply to rural Ontario mostly

Racism masquerading as Proud Canadianitis
Proud Canadianitis
Lack of decent fruit and veg apart from three months in the summer
Lack of decent ethnic food
Crap drivers
Watching the tide come in.
Paying for prescriptions
Old Oct 13th 2015, 11:39 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like it here but my dislikes include:-

1. HST on top of sale price just include it already.
2. Lack of ethnic food.
3. The word Awesome.
4. Politics here as bad as they were back home if not worse.
5. Winter lasts forever or it feels like it...
Old Oct 14th 2015, 12:10 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I quite like it here...
Awesome!

It may be a myth but I like the John Wayne tale.

Cast as a Roman centurion in The Greatest Story Ever Told, his single line was, "truly this man was the son of God." It was suggested he "try it with a little awe."

"Aw, truly this man was the son of God."

Last edited by BristolUK; Oct 14th 2015 at 12:17 am.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 12:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Awesome!

Argh ! *Sticks fingers in ears*

Everything is also 'awesome' here.

Broke your leg? Awesome.

It's a sunny day? Awesome.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 12:25 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Lake Ontario is good for sailing, Superior better, but the former lacks a scenic coast line, both lack the taste of salt on the wind and the crashing of waves on the sand. There's commercial traffic on the great lakes but no fishing fleets and no catch of the day. The lake coast tends to be privately owned and densely populated so, even in winter, there's no sense of isolation, no wildness. It depends then on whether you want your ocean experience to have a romance to it or just to be cold and wet and a bit smelly. Lake Ontario does offer cold and wet and smelly.
Hmm, thanks for that, I get what your saying, I think its Lake Erie that we're looking at, that and the coast line all over the UK, at the moemnt we are just throwing darts
Old Oct 14th 2015, 2:33 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

My dislikes:

Freezing cold winters although they seem milder than years ago.
Hot muggy sem-tropical summers with air quality warnings.
High car insurance
Pot holes everywhere
Sprawling suburbs and strip malls that are centered around cars (although that's Canada-wide)

If you want ocean you've got James Bay and Hudson Bay. Moose Factory anyone?
Old Oct 14th 2015, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

Lake Ontario is good for sailing, Superior better, but the former lacks a scenic coast line, both lack the taste of salt on the wind and the crashing of waves on the sand. There's commercial traffic on the great lakes but no fishing fleets and no catch of the day. The lake coast tends to be privately owned and densely populated so, even in winter, there's no sense of isolation, no wildness. It depends then on whether you want your ocean experience to have a romance to it or just to be cold and wet and a bit smelly. Lake Ontario does offer cold and wet and smelly.
I agree with the above for Ontario and Erie. The north shore of Superior is a different, er, kettle of fish? But not much there for a family or work.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I am I said
I agree with the above for Ontario and Erie. The north shore of Superior is a different, er, kettle of fish? But not much there for a family or work.
Self. North Shore. 2005. We camped on the beach. The shoreline is less crowded than that of Erie or Ontario. It's attractive in a Group of Seven kind of way; rocks, evergreen trees, nice sunrises and sunsets. It's cold and there's a lot of snow. Retired people are stacked in disused mines and gravel pits at Kirkland Lake, their presence with their Buicks and Caddy's combined with the many abandoned farms, give the area an end-of-the-world feeling.I'd say it's Chernobylesque.
Attached Thumbnails What do you dislike about living in Ontario?-115_1517.jpg  
Old Oct 14th 2015, 1:45 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Where is this smell? Is it that I live so close to the lake that I've grown used to it? Also, salt water up the nose. Freshwater is GREAT.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

This Provincial Governments fiscal incompetence...
Old Oct 14th 2015, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Valletta, of course, which has 2957 hours per year.
Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Or where I am headed tomorrow until April, Yuma, AZ, the sunniest place of all. Don't know how many hours but about 360 days a year !
If someone moved from there to Toronto and sunshine hours was important then the word "moron" comes to mind! Anyone moving from the UK however is going to see a big jump in sunshine hours in Toronto.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 1:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Where is this smell? Is it that I live so close to the lake that I've grown used to it? Also, salt water up the nose. Freshwater is GREAT.
If you sail on Lake Ontario or Lake Erie in fog you know when you are getting too close to shore because of the sound of the dead fish slapping on the hull. It's a personal thing, of course, but I find rotting fish pong a bit. The sewage outlet aslo has an odour I find unattractive though, I suppose, to a gong farmer it's the smell of money. I'm glad it's all spring flowers to your nose.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yeah you're right there, London (ON) has 286 sunlight days / year on average, Malta has 300.

Maybe its just nostalgia/the "high" you get from being on vacation or whatever, but I always find the sun more intense and present there vs here, always chalked it up to distance from the equator. (Canada very far away, Malta fairly close) (ie, I can walk around without sunglasses if I have to in ON, while in MLT I am shielding my eyes )

Personally here I find a good number of the days are gray and gloomy than not, but I would find that in the Maltese winter, too. But then you're talking about it being 15c there and -15 here, which helps.

The "a bit smelly" kills it for me every single time. I can't stand that awful smell.
If you're in London, ON then you're probably in the cloudiest/rainiest city in Ontario. Due to its position relative to Lake Huron, London gets a lot more rain and a lot less sunshine than say Toronto.

Canada's Rainiest Cities - Current Results

My daughter goes to uni there and she says students from other parts of Ontario all complain about London weather. So it's not really representative of weather in Ontario in general.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Oct 14th 2015 at 2:13 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

Self. North Shore. 2005. We camped on the beach. The shoreline is less crowded than that of Erie or Ontario. It's attractive in a Group of Seven kind of way; rocks, evergreen trees, nice sunrises and sunsets. It's cold and there's a lot of snow. Retired people are stacked in disused mines and gravel pits at Kirkland Lake, their presence with their Buicks and Caddy's combined with the many abandoned farms, give the area an end-of-the-world feeling.I'd say it's Chernobylesque.
Nice picture. I have always liked the bleakness up there, although it has been a few, um, decades since I have been there. Spent a few years where the roads run out in Ontario. Think of the complaints about [southern] Ontario and multiply by ten....
Old Oct 14th 2015, 3:03 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

If you sail on Lake Ontario or Lake Erie in fog you know when you are getting too close to shore because of the sound of the dead fish slapping on the hull. It's a personal thing, of course, but I find rotting fish pong a bit. The sewage outlet aslo has an odour I find unattractive though, I suppose, to a gong farmer it's the smell of money. I'm glad it's all spring flowers to your nose.
OK. My bar for bad water is based on Lagos lagoon/ five cowrie creek. So as long as they're aren't human bodies decomposing or bags of surgical sharps floating by I'm pretty cool with it. The lake in gabs was full of crocs which made wearing a life jacket feel like a pig with an apple in its mouth- just dressing. The city core of Toronto- which we have debated here a lot- is definitely not sprawling car suburbs. If you live in the 905 you've paid your money and made your choice. Montreal is even more European.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.