Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:36 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Hmmmmm... -I hate the winter. 7 months of shit weather, 2.5 months of decent, and only 2 months of "proper" summer, and even that doesn't get that hot, coming from the Med. I think the weather is great here. I don't really like heat and I don't do "hanging round" in the sun, I get bored after 5 minutes or so. My comparisons are Botswana (pretty good weather) and coastal Nigeria (F*%^*^&% terrible). -Not enough sunlight I miss the long summer evenings of London, appreciate the longer winter days, so this is a wash. -Most people put up too much of a front, everything is about fake small talk with them, and when you try to discuss something of relevance (politics, lifestyle choices, higher education, world issues, travel, etc) they sway it back because they get uncomfortable Some subjects are best kept for friends- politics and religion being two of them. -The obsession with hockey/the toronto maple leafs Beats soccer. -There is no distinct culture It's noticeable different from the UK. Hard to spot your "home" culture- it's the default which makes everywhere else different. -the lakewater is cold, gross and muddy 100% of the time, and almost every native Ontarian thinks its just "awesome". After having seen/swam in the Mediterranean sea and the Caribbean sea, I won't go near it. Freshwater swimming! I also find Lake Ontario pretty clean. Maybe my bar is low. Certainly yet to see any dead bodies etc in there.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:40 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Valletta, of course, which has 2957 hours per year.
Or where I am headed tomorrow until April, Yuma, AZ, the sunniest place of all. Don't know how many hours but about 360 days a year !
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:42 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Unless one had procured an amazing job or career advancement I can't see for the life of me see anyone would choose to live in Ontario. It just seems devoid of anything pleasant to the human condition.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It just seems devoid of anything pleasant to the human condition.
Massage parlours.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Massage parlours.
You'd naffing need them.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 7:06 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

OK so what do I need to do to fix the formatting issue? My answer to Gozit above is incomprehensible (because of the formatting). Oink- do a stint in Lagos. Then everywhere outside of an actual warzone seems nice.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 7:50 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
What are the top 5 things you dislike about life in Ontario?
I can only give you three

1. at my age its the climate, that for 9 months a year totally sucks

2. Property taxes that are way too high.

3. Utilities, which are way too high

Would/will any of those things see you leaving Canada eventually, or moving to a different province?
yes, all three. Plan is within [hopefully] the next 24 months when my 96 year old FIL pops his clogs - the sooner the better

Since you have started many threads with lots of posts & questions on life & things in Canada

What are the top 5 things you dislike about life in Sydney NSW, Australia, that makes you want to leave it to move to another country?

Exclude the adventure or giving the kids a better view of the world, or trying to find a place that you think may be better than OZ, NZ, UK?

Exclude the comparison of building structures or any comparison to Canada, OZ, NZ or the UK

And why do you think Canada would give you what you want in life?

Last edited by not2old; Oct 13th 2015 at 7:54 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 8:46 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

1. They metrified the milk but didn't retrofit the jugs so now the plastic bag sags over the side of the jug and milk spills everywhere.
  2. Terrible driving is the norm.
  3. Life is highly regulated, permits and licenses are needed for every activity known to mankind. Lots of taxes and fees are involved.
  4. Winter is too long.
  5. The buildings are ugly and squished together.
  6. There's no ocean.
I expect 6 will be the reason for leaving.

Your number 6 interests me as one of the big reasons for us to leave AB is the lack of a big body of water, does a massive lack not fulfill the ocean experience?
Old Oct 13th 2015, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Unless one had procured an amazing job or career advancement I can't see for the life of me see anyone would choose to live in Ontario. It just seems devoid of anything pleasant to the human condition.
+1, to be honest. I don't see any appeal of living here except for the fact that barring 6 significant ones that live in Malta and Qatar, all of the family I actually have a relationship with lives here. That's the only thing i'm considering when making my decision to leave. Basically means I won't leave until I know I can afford to visit / take time off for them to visit me.

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
OK so what do I need to do to fix the formatting issue? My answer to Gozit above is incomprehensible (because of the formatting). Oink- do a stint in Lagos. Then everywhere outside of an actual warzone seems nice.
Its a site wide issue ATM. Shoot BEVS a PM and see if she can do anything, if not AFAIK there is a thread somewhere in the vast land of BE about it.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I've grown up here.

-I hate the winter. 7 months of shit weather, 2.5 months of decent, and only 2 months of "proper" summer, and even that doesn't get that hot, coming from the Med.

-Not enough sunlight

-Most people put up too much of a front, everything is about fake small talk with them, and when you try to discuss something of relevance (politics, lifestyle choices, higher education, world issues, travel, etc) they sway it back because they get uncomfortable

-The obsession with hockey/the toronto maple leafs

-There is no distinct culture

-the lakewater is cold, gross and muddy 100% of the time, and almost every native Ontarian thinks its just "awesome". After having seen/swam in the Mediterranean sea and the Caribbean sea, I won't go near it.

The weather will likely be my reason to leave. I just can't stand the winter months, and as of late we don't even get rewarded with proper hot days where we can enjoy the pool and hang out outside. I actually really enjoy temperatures of about 26c-35c and we don't get that here very often.
The sunshine point is really relative to what your used to, I found Ontario to be a sunshine paradise in winter, but of course we have a lot of gray gloomy days in this part of Canada in winter with sunshine lacking for a couple weeks at a time some winters.

Toronto gets a bit of longer days in Winter as well compared to Vancouver.

First day of winter Toronto 7:48am/4:43pm

" " Vancouver 8:05am/4:16pm

We probably get a bit more sunshine in summer though....
Old Oct 13th 2015, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Or where I am headed tomorrow until April, Yuma, AZ, the sunniest place of all. Don't know how many hours but about 360 days a year !
313 days..... But sure beats most of Canada most likely... But certainly the best place in AZ and probably the US for sun and lack of rain.

Annual Days of Sunshine in Arizona - Current Results

San Diego is pretty good at 263 days.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 9:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Your number 6 interests me as one of the big reasons for us to leave AB is the lack of a big body of water, does a massive lack not fulfill the ocean experience?
Lake Ontario is good for sailing, Superior better, but the former lacks a scenic coast line, both lack the taste of salt on the wind and the crashing of waves on the sand. There's commercial traffic on the great lakes but no fishing fleets and no catch of the day. The lake coast tends to be privately owned and densely populated so, even in winter, there's no sense of isolation, no wildness. It depends then on whether you want your ocean experience to have a romance to it or just to be cold and wet and a bit smelly. Lake Ontario does offer cold and wet and smelly.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 10:08 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Guns n Gangs n Guns n Cops

Permits

Drive clean and tax on private purchased car

Kathleen Wynne

Tail gaiters (NASCAR wanabees)
Old Oct 13th 2015, 10:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
What are the top 5 things you dislike about life in Ontario?

Would/will any of those 5 things see you leaving Canada eventually, or moving to a different province?
1) Truly awful architecture
2) The prohibitive cost of going anywhere worth visiting
3) Cradles and their parochial attitudes to absolutely everything.
4) Summer
5) Winter

Did I mention winter?
Old Oct 13th 2015, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The sunshine point is really relative to what your used to, I found Ontario to be a sunshine paradise in winter, but of course we have a lot of gray gloomy days in this part of Canada in winter with sunshine lacking for a couple weeks at a time some winters.

Toronto gets a bit of longer days in Winter as well compared to Vancouver.

First day of winter Toronto 7:48am/4:43pm

" " Vancouver 8:05am/4:16pm

We probably get a bit more sunshine in summer though....
Yeah you're right there, London (ON) has 286 sunlight days / year on average, Malta has 300.

Maybe its just nostalgia/the "high" you get from being on vacation or whatever, but I always find the sun more intense and present there vs here, always chalked it up to distance from the equator. (Canada very far away, Malta fairly close) (ie, I can walk around without sunglasses if I have to in ON, while in MLT I am shielding my eyes )

Personally here I find a good number of the days are gray and gloomy than not, but I would find that in the Maltese winter, too. But then you're talking about it being 15c there and -15 here, which helps.

Lake Ontario is good for sailing, Superior better, but the former lacks a scenic coast line, both lack the taste of salt on the wind and the crashing of waves on the sand. There's commercial traffic on the great lakes but no fishing fleets and no catch of the day. The lake coast tends to be privately owned and densely populated so, even in winter, there's no sense of isolation, no wildness. It depends then on whether you want your ocean experience to have a romance to it or just to be cold and wet and a bit smelly. Lake Ontario does offer cold and wet and smelly.
The "a bit smelly" kills it for me every single time. I can't stand that awful smell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.