Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do want to do before you leave the U.K. ?

What do want to do before you leave the U.K. ?

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do want to do before you leave the U.K. ?

I feel right at home now. Men talking about cars and engines, not clothes and shopping is a much more familiar concept to me.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:24 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do want to do before you leave the U.K. ?

Originally Posted by iaink
From quickcast.com, with data over about the last 20 years...

Trenton ON, average annual # of days below -15C = 30, record low -32.7C
Edmonton AB, average annual # of days below -15C = 61, record low -45C

Couldnt find anything specifically about days below -30. Anyway...there appears to be a difference between Ontario cold and Alberta cold, at least as far as Edmonton goes. Calgary is not nearly as harsh though.
There appears to be some difference between your source and that of Environment Canada in the record low for Trenton.

According to Environment Canada the record low for the Trenton Airport is -35.1 set on January 16th 1994.

Actually when you look at the averages there's not a whole lot of difference between Edmonton and Trenton minimum temps in the winter months (December January and February - between 2 and 5 degrees) unless you look at the extremes.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, "Trenton Airport"...love that. Try flying to or from "trenton airport" unless you are wearing olive green or khaki!. I couldnt navigate my way to the EC records before ...How about "days with wind chill <-30C"

Edmonton 29.7 (8.1 below 40 below)

Trenton 6.3 (0.4 below 40 below)

Combined with 30 extra days with highs below -15 and that paints a grim picture.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, "Trenton Airport"...love that. Try flying to or from "trenton airport" unless you are wearing olive green or khaki!. I couldnt navigate my way to the EC records before ...How about "days with wind chill <-30C"

Edmonton 29.7 (8.1 below 40 below)

Trenton 6.3 (0.4 below 40 below)

Combined with 30 extra days with highs below -15 and that paints a grim picture.
I didn't say Edmonton was nirvana but you are looking at extremes still.

You jut said a couple of posts up
-20 I can go out for a few hours and have fun.

Back to block heaters for just a sec then I promise I'll leave it alone.

I was reading in the Hybrid forum I frequent, one of the posters who lives in southern Ontario got a block heater installed in his Camry Hybrid and found that it raised the temp of the block about 30C above the ambient temperature. He also said he continues to use his block heater now year round as that 30C increase helps the vehicle be more efficient sooner.

True I would think but a little extreme.

Last edited by Steve_P; Aug 22nd 2007 at 5:26 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Tell my boss exactly what I think of her management techniques

Leave them with a lingering present in the office as a reminder that at least we have got the balls to give it a try rather than sit there moaning.

oh

Want to go to the lake district and put a plaque up where my nans ashes were scattered.

Sharon
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxerdog03

Leave them with a lingering present in the office as a reminder that at least we have got the balls to give it a try rather than sit there moaning.
Here Here
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I didn't say Edmonton was nirvana but you are looking at extremes still.

You jut said a couple of posts up

Back to block heaters for just a sec then I promise I'll leave it alone.

I was reading in the Hybrid forum I frequent, one of the posters who lives in southern Ontario got a block heater installed in his Camry Hybrid and found that it raised the temp of the block about 30C above the ambient temperature. He also said he continues to use his block heater now year round as that 30C increase helps the vehicle be more efficient sooner.

True I would think but a little extreme.

Well, its the extremes that might* give a diesel a problem...that was the initial point of comparing Ontario cold to Alberta cold.

Surely the block heater on the hybrid is using more energy than he is saving by having the engine warmer sooner in the summer? carbon footprint yadda yadda.

*Does anyone know if a diesel has more problems in the extreme cold? There used to be tales of woe of diesel fuel gelling at cold temperatures, around -30°C, even with additives, but its probably reduced battery capacity that might be a bigger hassle for dbd.
http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/cold_wx.htm

Last edited by iaink; Aug 23rd 2007 at 1:09 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think we need a separate block heaters forum??
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

oh

Want to go to the lake district and put a plaque up where my nans ashes were scattered.

Sharon
Bridge burning...never a good idea....ask all those that jacked canada in and went back to their old jobs.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Bridge burning...never a good idea....ask all those that jacked canada in and went back to their old jobs.
Would never ever return to this job, even if i was desperate. I would rather get a job in Mcdonalds.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Would never ever return to this job, even if i was desperate. I would rather get a job in Mcdonalds.
Around here at least it seems HR people often talk to each other about prospective employees, so its still not a good idea to be pissing on anyones shoes as you might end up having to lick them later in life.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Around here at least it seems HR people often talk to each other about prospective employees, so its still not a good idea to be pissing on anyones shoes as you might end up having to lick them later in life.
I agree its not worth it. These things catch up with you, you may need a reference and even if you dont give their name its not unusual to ring employers and ask for an opinion.

Not quite appropriate here but the phrase "Be careful who you shit on on the way up as you may meet them on the way down"