Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do want to do before you leave the U.K. ?

What do want to do before you leave the U.K. ?

Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do want to do before you leave the U.K. ?

Originally Posted by iaink
Yeah, nothing but plaid to be had in Canada

Really, you need to check out some shops other than "TSC"
I've also been to Mark's.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:20 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
what about The Bay (assuming the company supposedly having its early history rooted in the slaughter of baby seals does not deter you)?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't you once post here that, if you had to work in a more formal environment, you'd miss Next?
Only as that was a brand / fit I was familiar with. Probably would not fit my expanding girth so well now anyway. I quite happily buy semi formal Dockers shirts from Moores or something similar, or whatever winners have reduced that isnt bright Orange or Puse, or Van Heusen's from Sears I suppose, depending on how formal was required, but then Im not the pretentious type.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 21st 2007 at 4:19 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

http://www2.marks.com/products.asp?categoryID=290

not a plaid shirt to be seen in the formal mensware, and only two in the casual bit. I wouldnt choose to buy smart shirts there though as the quality is a bit ropey sometimes, I think mostly imported from China in thin fabric that looks like crap after a few washes ...

Last edited by iaink; Aug 21st 2007 at 2:27 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
what about The Bay (assuming the company supposedly having its early history rooted in the slaughter of baby seals does not deter you)?
Oh dear. You probably wont want to shop here either: http://www.bowring.com/English/home.htm
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:32 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Oh dear. You probably wont want to shop here either: http://www.bowring.com/English/home.htm
no mention of seal slaughter in their company history. It does say that they expanded into the insurance industry in the 30's which is almost as bad
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Wasnt the Bay based on Beaver abuse reather than seal abuse
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:47 pm
Immigration Consultant

Wasnt the Bay based on Beaver abuse reather than seal abuse
you might be right - its history was in fur trade but I can't find many references to what furs they were specifically
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I love fur coats and so have no problem with a corporate history of bludgeoning fluffy things. I think the Bay tends to be in malls, I don't do malls.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:50 pm
Immigration Consultant

definitely looks like seal abuse featured at some stage: http://www.sealoil.com/sealhistory.html
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

you might be right - its history was in fur trade but I can't find many references to what furs they were specifically
Dont ask how I know this trivial crap...Canada was founded on the Beaver and its place in hat fashion. The HBC actually owned most of canada for a long time, and traded the famous point bankets for beaver pelts. Initially the fact that the pelts had been worn by the natives in the winter meant that all the long straggly guard hairs hade come out of the pelts on the way...making them top quality to be turned into felt for hats in europe. Then some russians came up with a way to do that mechanically, so fresh pelts became the preference..

From the HBC website:
The huge demand for hats in the 18th and early 19th century caused the fur trade to boom. Hudson's Bay Company was created to explore and develop new lands in the ongoing search for this most precious raw material. In fact, in its earliest days, the Company promoted itself by presenting complimentary beaver hats (total cost £34) to important men in London to encourage their investment.
http://www.hbc.com/hbcheritage/histo...al/beaverhats/

Last edited by iaink; Aug 21st 2007 at 3:05 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh please, get over yourself. What exactly is wrong with canadian shirts then?
Apart from being horribly badly made?

If I wound back the clock to just before I left, it would be decent shirts (Pink's) and decent shoes (Church or Cheaney).
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Apart from being horribly badly made?

If I wound back the clock to just before I left, it would be decent shirts (Pink's) and decent shoes (Church or Cheaney).
Ive never been able to justify that sort of money, but Im SURE there are bespoke custom tailors and shoemakers in Toronto, Montreal, NYC etc capable of the same standards, for the same money.

I cant say I've noticed any difference between a formal Van Heusen shirt I got in Canada over one I got in the UK, and my "Made in Canada" Ralph Lauren shirts were at least as well made...they just dont fit any more for some reason...damned Canadian washer seems to shrink everything

Last edited by iaink; Aug 21st 2007 at 3:10 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:12 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

no mention of seal slaughter in their company history. It does say that they expanded into the insurance industry in the 30's which is almost as bad
Read closely in the 'about us' section where it mentions 'seal fishing'. Bowring is famous name in these parts and was most definately part of the seal fishery in the late 18th & early 19th century. Not that, that would be any reason not to shop there of course. I mean, Walmart probably does more ills to the world in general than any company related to sealing but you still shop there right?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:12 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive never been able to justify that sort of money, but Im SURE there are bespoke custom tailors and shoemakers in Toronto, Montreal, NYC etc capable of the same standards, for the same money.

I cant say I've noticed any difference between a formal Van Heusen shirt I got in Canada over one I got in the UK.
Money spent on good shoes/shirts/suits is money well spent, if you look after them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.