British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What do landlords mean when they say "utilities are included"? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-do-landlords-mean-when-they-say-utilities-included-567126/)

mesh2005 Oct 14th 2008 2:29 pm

What do landlords mean when they say "utilities are included"?

Sorry if it is a silly question but this is the first time I try to rent a place!! I can see many units are advertised on craiglist and it is always mentioned that utilities are included. What do they exactly mean? electricity, water and gas? Does it mean that I don't need to contact any company, just pay the bills? Can anyone estimate how much will I need to pay monthly for the bills if I live alone in a studio?
Thank you.
AM

Steve_P Oct 14th 2008 2:33 pm

Re: What do landlords mean when they say "utilities are included"?

Originally Posted by mesh2005 (Post 6873867)
Sorry if it is a silly question but this is the first time I try to rent a place!! I can see many units are advertised on craiglist and it is always mentioned that utilities are included. What do they exactly mean? electricity, water and gas? Does it mean that I don't need to contact any company, just pay the bills? Can anyone estimate how much will I need to pay monthly for the bills if I live alone in a studio?
Thank you.
AM

It means that you do not have to pay for them (heat, electricity, water and gas if they have it) they are included in your rent, you will just move in and they should all be on.

You will however most likely have to pay for Internet, Cable TV and Telephone.

montreal mike Oct 14th 2008 3:13 pm

To me it means the stove, fridge, washer, drier are included in the rent. But the electicity to heat the hot water is not unless the lease says otherwise. And yes cable, internet and phones are for the tenant to pay.

Steve_P Oct 14th 2008 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 6874009)
To me it means the stove, fridge, washer, drier are included in the rent.

They're appliances Mike not utilities.

kirstya Oct 14th 2008 3:20 pm

alot of them say includes wireless internet and cable TV as well..

montreal mike Oct 14th 2008 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 6874023)
They're appliances Mike not utilities.

oops ... my goof

Ramsey Oct 14th 2008 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by mesh2005 (Post 6873867)
Thank you.
AM

=Some or all bills included in the rent.

Our place is in a condo, so all of the heating, water, waste and gas is on a communal supply, covered in the condo fees which are paid by the landlord (and included in the rent).

We have to pay for the electricity out of the plugs, cable, phone, internet.

Utilities Included can mean a number of different things to different people.... just make sure you confirm exactly what is included before you sign! :thumbsup:

mesh2005 Oct 15th 2008 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Ramsey (Post 6874381)
=Some or all bills included in the rent.

Our place is in a condo, so all of the heating, water, waste and gas is on a communal supply, covered in the condo fees which are paid by the landlord (and included in the rent).

We have to pay for the electricity out of the plugs, cable, phone, internet.

Utilities Included can mean a number of different things to different people.... just make sure you confirm exactly what is included before you sign! :thumbsup:

Thank you guys. I appreciate your help.
Thanks again :)