Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to do with the kids?

What to do with the kids?

Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about
Default What to do with the kids?

We're arriving in NS in May for a two week holiday/recce and will be trying to fill the days for a six and eight year old. Can any one give us any help other than the beach and horse riding? Thanks in advance

sarahandshaun
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:11 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do with the kids?

Originally Posted by sarahandshaun
We're arriving in NS in May for a two week holiday/recce and will be trying to fill the days for a six and eight year old. Can any one give us any help other than the beach and horse riding? Thanks in advance

sarahandshaun
There is the Discovery Centre in town - that is always worth a visit. Shubenacadie Wildlife Park is good.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Monopoly?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:24 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Like Amy mentioned, Shubenacadie is great for an afternoon out, our DS loved it when were over last May(although we got drowned as rats)

Also Theodore Tugboat looked cool for the kids, we didn't get time to go, but might be worth a look

http://www.murphysonthewater.com/theodoretugboat/

Have a great trip
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

lhcasssidy is an unknown quantity at this point

The harbour hopper or frog hopper is a must if you are in halifax
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:33 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

sarahandshaun
I believe theres a great swimming pool in Cole Harbour with all the wave machines etc.

Kejimkujik National Park is really nice - you can rent Canoes and paddle around on the rivers and lake there.

I would also say Shubenacadie is worth going to.

For beaches try Martinique on the eastern shore and most of the beaches on the south shore are really good. Beware the weather may still be variable in May (hot weather not really guranteed until July) and the water will certainly be fridgid!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Leave them at home
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:24 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I believe theres a great swimming pool in Cole Harbour with all the wave machines etc.

Kejimkujik National Park is really nice - you can rent Canoes and paddle around on the rivers and lake there.

I would also say Shubenacadie is worth going to.

For beaches try Martinique on the eastern shore and most of the beaches on the south shore are really good. Beware the weather may still be variable in May (hot weather not really guranteed until July) and the water will certainly be fridgid!
No wave machine at Cole Harbour, but a decent slide, diving board and rope swing. I think there might be one at the Sportsplex in Dartmouth though.

I like Point Pleasant (just for walking while the kids moan) then into Halifax for the play boat on the boardwalk and coffee/donuts!

Delighted no one has mentioned the horrors of Atlantic Playland or Upper Clements Park which as Nova Scotia only (and by default leading!) amusement parks leave lots to be desired.

We really enjoyed our trip to Sugar Moon farm last year (http://www.sugarmoon.ca/) - not sure whether they will still be doing Maple syrup that late in the year but they will be open at weekends - register for food as soon as you arrive then go for a walk, when you return you should be at the top of the list.

Also had a lot of fun at Noggins farm last summer (http://www.nogginsfarm.ca/), again doubt the corn maze will be open by May, but they have a nice play area.

With a little preparation/planning the bay of fundy high tide/low tide is worth a look (in three years I have yet to be prepared enough to make it).

If you get to the end of the Annapolis valley then down to long island there is the chance to go whale watching which for us is probably the best thing we have done here with the kids.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ann m
Leave them at home
Great idea but the kids diasagree, maybe next time. The kids will go on the beach no matter what the weather is so no major issues there and monopoly will come in useful for the evening. Thanks for your replies everyone

sarahandshaun
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

All have been good suggestions so far. There is also citadel hill where people are dressed in costume period, kids usually like it there. There's Oakland Farm Zoo in Elsford (about 1.5 hours from Halifax). There the kids can feed some of the animals like deer and lama and there's a lion and tigers. It's small but nice.

The wave pool in Spryfield has the wave machine. Though to be honest I would avoid it there.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Keji park is lovely if the kids like walking. Also Delaps cove in the Annapolis valley has a walk that goes right out to the sea and is really nice.

Oaklawn farm zoo is well worth a visit. If you're googling it, it's actually in Aylesford (!).

Have a great time!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:41 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

And actually while we're on the subject of places to avoid I can tell you that my family were a bit dissapointed with Hatfield Farm in Hammonds Plains that advertises pony rides etc for kids. My wife took the kids there for the afternoon having arranged for me to pick them all up when I finished work. After about 10 minutes they ran out of things to do and ended up sitting around twiddling their thumns for the rest of the afternoon.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:47 pm
Immigration Consultant

Great idea but the kids diasagree, maybe next time. The kids will go on the beach no matter what the weather is so no major issues there and monopoly will come in useful for the evening. Thanks for your replies everyone

sarahandshaun
Are you going to be based in one place or will you have time to travel up to Cape Breton for a few days? I loved Cape Breton and so did my kids. Driving through the National Park we saw quite a few moose.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Are you going to be based in one place or will you have time to travel up to Cape Breton for a few days? I loved Cape Breton and so did my kids. Driving through the National Park we saw quite a few moose.
Hi NSpaul

We're going to be based in a rental cottage close to Louis Head beach. We'll have a rental car and will be travelling around, hopefully on the quieter roads Sarah will have a go at driving
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Monopoly is cheaper!

Hey, if I was forced to play in our family's caravan for hours on end while it rained outside in not-so-sunny Wales or Scotland, why shouldn't another generation be subject to the same torture?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.