Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do canadians really think about immigrants...

What do canadians really think about immigrants...

Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:57 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do canadians really think about immigrants...

Originally Posted by desertbuddy
Quite to the contrary, chopsuey is a prime example of Chinese stir fry style cooking.
Wait 'til you taste it with crabs meat and or shrimps........
The references I have seen mostly suggest that it was created by Chinese immigrants in the USA. It would obviously have been based on cooking methods they were familiar with.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
Canadians and immigrants to Canada are as confused about "Canadian values" as they are about how to repair the damage done to Native Indians, or what constitutes an assault in ice hockey.
I don't think there's any intent to "repair the damage done to Native Indians". Like fussing over seals, that's a European, perhaps only a British, concern rather than a matter of interest to people within Canada.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think there's any intent to "repair the damage done to Native Indians". Like fussing over seals, that's a European, perhaps only a British, concern rather than a matter of interest to people within Canada.

You may be right. If you are, it is a very great pity. What hope is there for a new immigrant to Canada when it's own natives are in despair?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You may be right. If you are, it is a very great pity. What hope is there for a new immigrant to Canada when it's own natives are in despair?
I don't see that there's any connection between one and the other. The aboriginal population of Canada is a forgotten minority banished to rural reserves. The immigrant population primarily moves to the cities and deals with other immigrants. We may as well ask how we can enjoy Mrs Sarhozy's recordings while there are poor people in Algeria.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:24 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Gee, I dont know?
Probably as much hope as there is for new immigrants to erm let me think Australia? New Zealand? US?
Yes the indiginous peoples get a raw deal but how many of us really give a shit?
How many of us actively support Aboriginal rights?
How many of us would give up the homes and incomes we have to redress the imbalance?
How many of you cross the road when you see a group of natives heading towards you?
How many of us can count an aboriginal person (or a metis for that matter) within our close social circle? And before anybody asks I can and more than one.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't see that there's any connection between one and the other. The aboriginal population of Canada is a forgotten minority banished to rural reserves. The immigrant population primarily moves to the cities and deals with other immigrants. We may as well ask how we can enjoy Mrs Sarhozy's recordings while there are poor people in Algeria.
True. The only people that care about aboriginals are aboriginals, right-on politicians, documentary makers, Butch and mining companies wanting to exploit aboriginal lands.

We did a project not long ago for a new mining company looking to exploit a deposit in the Labrador Trough. One of the board members is Matthew Coon Come. He knows lots about mining, I'm sure.

Last edited by Souvenir; Jul 30th 2008 at 3:29 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:28 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
True. The only people that care about aboriginals are aboriginals, right-on politicians, documentary makers and mining companies wanting to exploit aboriginal lands.
So which do I fit into
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Gee, I dont know?
Probably as much hope as there is for new immigrants to erm let me think Australia? New Zealand? US?
Yes the indiginous peoples get a raw deal but how many of us really give a shit?
How many of us actively support Aboriginal rights?
How many of us would give up the homes and incomes we have to redress the imbalance?
How many of you cross the road when you see a group of natives heading towards you?
How many of us can count an aboriginal person (or a metis for that matter) within our close social circle? And before anybody asks I can and more than one.
I had a mate in Oakville who is a card-carrying wagon burner. Souvette is a bit metis (like most Quebeckers, even if they don't 'fess-up).
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I had a mate in Oakville who is a card-carrying wagon burner. Souvette is a bit metis (like most Quebeckers, even if they don't 'fess-up).
My wife's Aunt (by marriage, born on PEI) was part cree, part french (very small parts and the cree and french came from different branches). Wouldnt admit it for years, hated aboriginals and Quebeckers.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Yes, one and for a long time. He's highly active in band politics so I know a little about that, the same way he knows a little about our chicken keeping, these are things that provide mild amusement to close friends and family but not matters of interest to the general public.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:30 pm
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all

with all due respect, I live in the UK and my experience is that the Chinese keep them selves to them selves and live peacefully in our communities.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:31 pm
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all

Why are the aboriginals disliked so much, was it not their lands originally?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by jackiewalters
I don't think they are disliked by most people in Canada, people in the major cities likely never think of them at all. Where they are disliked is in towns such as Regina, where they are disproportionately represented among the homeless and drunken, and places such as Caledonia and Oka in Ontario where they make nuisance of themselves by barricading roads and train tracks.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:36 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you determine land ownership? Is it just a case of who saw it first? That doesn't sound entirely fair.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:39 pm
Banned

Default Re: How long does it really take.................

We have been speaking with our immigration consultant since last year, my husband now has been offered a job in Canada. I have spoken to and read quite alot of feedback from our forum users, I am wondering why we have had to wait so long to hear anything back from our consultant with regards to:

When do we go for our medical
When do we go for police checks

My query is, once you have been offered a job, how long do you have to wait until you can go over to start the Job. It seems like she has totally gone silent.

HELLLPPPPPP...............or am I just being impatiant!!
WTF
where does this have any relevance to aboriginal people? OR Canadians attitudes to immigrants?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.