Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do canadians really think about immigrants...

What do canadians really think about immigrants...

Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:52 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do canadians really think about immigrants...

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

Now - (and please Butch or anyone don't jump down my throat because I am using an obvious example / stereotype) if you see a drunken native walking in the middle of the road - how many people will you mention it to? My guess at least a couple.

Why would I jump down your throat

But actually I would no more (normally) mention a drunk native to people than I would a Hooker, intravenous drug user, drunk 'european' or speeding (somalian) taxi driver. All of whom (with the exception of the native) I encountered between 10:05 and 12:15 this evening.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:46 pm
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all

Hi there

Never met you, but I like you already!! And a big Here Here from Telford Shrophire!! well said

Jackie
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:58 am
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackiewalters
Hi there

Never met you, but I like you already!! And a big Here Here from Telford Shrophire!! well said

Jackie
And this reply goes to ?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:57 am
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all

...................oh sorry my comment was to, mandymoochops #105
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

When we were on holiday in Canada and stayed in B & B's the general consensus was that too many people were coming into the country. Errrr how big is Canada? About 41 times the size of the UK, I'd like to see them over here

Speaking to a cousin in California on the phone a few years ago, she told me wanted to come back to the UK after 50+ years of living over there. When I asked her why she replied that the place was being overrun with Mexicans! I replied that England wasn't the place she remembered. Everywhere is getting more multicultural.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Speaking to a cousin in California on the phone a few years ago, she told me wanted to come back to the UK after 50+ years of living over there. When I asked her why she replied that the place was being overrun with Mexicans! I replied that England wasn't the place she remembered. Everywhere is getting more multicultural.
Multicultural !

My favourite word.

But what does it really mean?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Multicultural !

My favourite word.

But what does it really mean?
It means diverse groups of people living in close proximity, leaving each other to get on with doing things they each find distasteful. Canada's multiculturalism is only unusual in that there's no umbrella culture against which to contrast the individual hyphenated Canadian cultures.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:12 pm
One Quarter Canadian

Hortons to go is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I have never encountered problems with Chinese people in the UK infact the ones i have met have been hard working and friendly. I even know a couple that have adopted european names so to fit in. I'm not saying that some immigrants don't piss me off but the chinese would be at the bottom of my list. So its interesting to see that the opinion is so different in Canada.

I think prejudice is part of being human but the PC brigade what to engineer that out of us but all it does is suppress it, i think this is more dangerous. I would rather know my enemies.

Lets be honest how many people wanting to leave the UK is partly to do with immigration to the UK? It may not be the number one reason but i bet its a concern to some on here.

I think where ever people choose to settle they should try as best as possible to fit in.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

celtic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dthomas
It's a national fact that Albertans hate everyone .

That's a good stance !

I'm not racist , i hate everbody equally
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience with those I know Canadians are fine with english speaking immigrants, but seem to dislike those from Asia and India, and in a way I can see where they come from, many immigrant groups are perceived as taking over due to their large numbers, in BC for instance in some areas it looks like your in India and not Canada with the large numbers of Indians.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
In my experience with those I know Canadians are fine with english speaking immigrants, but seem to dislike those from Asia and India, and in a way I can see where they come from, many immigrant groups are perceived as taking over due to their large numbers, in BC for instance in some areas it looks like your in India and not Canada with the large numbers of Indians.
When you say "Canadians" do you include Indian-Canadians? Perhaps there's a lot of them and perhaps they're comfortable with immigrants from India. If you mean white-anglo-Canadians then you should explain that that's the minority you have in mind.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:14 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hardly. They've got some nice architecture in India.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
When you say "Canadians" do you include Indian-Canadians? Perhaps there's a lot of them and perhaps they're comfortable with immigrants from India. If you mean white-anglo-Canadians then you should explain that that's the minority you have in mind.
I've heard it from Native Indians as well, not just from anglo Canadians.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:03 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard it from Native Indians as well, not just from anglo Canadians.
Yeah, but have you asked any INDIAN-Canadians what they think? Not "First Nations" types.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:20 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

who gives a ****. We are all here, lets get on with it.

what annoys me is people who piss on your leg and tell you it's raining with a smile on their face. Culturally they are the kind of git that I can't abide on a universal scale. We all have the ability to be an arsehole, but by god some people make it in to a full time job - and that goes for all cultures.

Mrs M X

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.