Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to do, canadian/british citizen

What to do, canadian/british citizen

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:05 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

Originally Posted by loss
if i don't get a job and run out of money can I get help in canada,
there not gonna like the fact I have not even been here a year.I have never claimed benefits in my life and this would only be last resort.
would they say just go back to england.
I don't think they can say that - you are a Canadian citizen.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:28 am
Banned

monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I don't think they can say that - you are a Canadian citizen.
I am no way an expert on this but would also have to agree you are a citizen so basically you have every right to be there........they would not send you back to Britain.

Can you not apply for a job in a bar, shop..... anything just to get some cash coming in for now.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:35 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

there not gonna like the fact I have not even been here a year.I have never claimed benefits in my life and this would only be last resort.
Have you thought of going to Australia?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:48 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
What as a Brit or Canadian Citizen? It appears the OP is low on funds and has no job. Oz may well be out of reach in the short to near term.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:05 pm
Banned

monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Oink
Out of interest why Australia? He would need to apply for a Working Holiday Visa and working restrictions on that will limit him even more (on a UK one anyway).....In saying that I spent a year in Oz on a WHV and loved it and found work easy enough!

Last edited by monkeyboy3; Mar 2nd 2011 at 12:15 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:29 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

As a Toronto resident without means I believe you could apply for welfare. As you've never worked you're ineligible for EI.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeyboy3
Out of interest why Australia? He would need to apply for a Working Holiday Visa and working restrictions on that will limit him even more (on a UK one anyway).....In saying that I spent a year in Oz on a WHV and loved it and found work easy enough!
I think you just answered your own question.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I think you just answered your own question.
True LOL.......just wondered if there was another reason
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to the UK before running out of money seems a no brainer to me. I know which I would rather be in if I didnt have a job.

You can always come back to Canada at a later time.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
Going back to the UK before running out of money seems a no brainer to me. I know which I would rather be in if I didnt have a job.

You can always come back to Canada at a later time.
You will regret coming back to the UK......if you cant make it in Canada......try Australia on a WHV.....but don't come back to the UK it is the worst feeling ever!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You will regret coming back to the UK......if you cant make it in Canada......try Australia on a WHV.....but don't come back to the UK it is the worst feeling ever!
But they have no money. What are they going to do if they can scrape the fare together to get to Oz? Its unlikely they will be raking in enough there (assuming they can even get the visa, and can get there before funds run out) to get an airfare together to go anywhere when that time inevitably runs out.

Get back to the UK while you can still afford to, and regroup. Canada on welfare is no place to be. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Have you looked at www.wowjobs.ca

Just type in the area eg> toronto and all the jobs through the agencies come up.
also kijiji and craigslist have job postings too.

Hope you find something soon. Even if it is only to give you the time you need to work out where you really want to be.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

There's no point sticking it out simply to obtain a minimum wage job. You gave it a shot and it didn't work out. Like Iaink said, I would go back now while that is still an option. Canada can be good, but it is not the land of milk and honey for all that come here.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You could apply for "Ontario Works" which is "welfare" (what we know as social security). It's not much money and you have to prove your financial situation, but if you have no other way of getting money it would help in the interim.

http://www.toronto.ca/socialservices/applyworks.htm

Have you gone to any of the pubs/bars for barman jobs? Tim Hortons? Wally World? I would just go into them all with your CV (look at the wiki for Canadian Resume's to know how to write them) and make enquiries as to any vacancies.

I know how tough it is trying to find work.. so good luck and keep plugging away. Have you thought about trying to get into Uni here in the interim?

If you can find a way to stay here, I would.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 2nd 2011 at 10:19 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:02 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

.....but don't come back to the UK it is the worst feeling ever!
Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.