Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to do, canadian/british citizen

What to do, canadian/british citizen

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:36 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default What to do, canadian/british citizen

in about 3/4weeks if I don't have any job yet I gotta make decision whether to stay in canada or fly back to england, or stay in canada and hope I get job right down before my last pennies (cent).
I have been here nearly 3 months (toronto), lived in the england all my life,

but whether I'm in england or canada I still have the problem of no job.
my mother was born in canada but left before she was year old and has never been back since. and I was fed up and needed a new experience came here and its the first time I've enjoyed life (apart from the no job part) in ages, up to this point was doing what was expected. I dropped out of a Uni course I was getting good grades in but hated, and didnt have much job prospects anyway.


anyway whats peoples advice

Last edited by loss; Mar 2nd 2011 at 6:46 am.
loss is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:42 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
Posts: 4,785
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

What sort of work have you been looking for?
MarylandNed is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:45 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

almost anything, apart from commission based work,
loss is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:53 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
Posts: 4,785
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

Originally Posted by loss View Post
almost anything, apart from commission based work,
I guess the decision comes down to reviewing a list of the pros and cons. I don't know enough about your circumstances but you have to decide if going back to England puts you in a better situation than if you remained in Canada. For example, do you have friends/relatives you can stay with in either country while you look for work? You would still need to find work in England but if you have the support of friends/relatives there maybe it makes things easier.
MarylandNed is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:54 am
  #5  
Sawdust making harpy
 
mandymoochops's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 11,291
mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

You sound pretty down at the minute which is understandable given the circumstances.

Where abouts in Canada are you?
mandymoochops is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:00 am
  #6  
Temporary Canuck
 
mattieuk's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Burnaby, B.C.
Posts: 336
mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

Originally Posted by mandymoochops View Post
You sound pretty down at the minute which is understandable given the circumstances.

Where abouts in Canada are you?
The original post said Toronto. Don't you read proper like wot I do?

I know the feeling of helplessness loss, but overall, is trumping up for flights back to Blighty going to help, if you are looking for non commission entry level work. It is all luck of the draw whether you get in somewhere, who might have let go a worker that day...I don't see there being a 'better' choice - apart from the one that is the cheapest to pursue (which looks like Canada since you are already here?).
mattieuk is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:02 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

Originally Posted by mandymoochops View Post
You sound pretty down at the minute which is understandable given the circumstances.

Where abouts in Canada are you?
Toronto, I'm pretty much on my own in either country, i've got friends in the uk but there students that don't have space or the money to help me out,
loss is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:03 am
  #8  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 163
monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

Originally Posted by loss View Post
in about 3/4weeks if I don't have any job yet I gotta make decision whether to stay in canada or fly back to england, or stay in canada and hope I get job right down before my last pennies (cent).
I have been here nearly 3 months (toronto), lived in the england all my life,

but whether I'm in england or canada I still have the problem of no job.
my mother was born in canada but left before she was year old and has never been back since. and I was fed up and needed a new experience came here and its the first time I've enjoyed life (apart from the no job part) in ages, up to this point was doing what was expected. I dropped out of a Uni course I was getting good grades in but hated, and didnt have much job prospects anyway.


anyway whats peoples advice
Hi Loss sorry to roll off the topic and really sorry to hear you are not having my luck over there I say stick it out! Everything will come together.

My wife has just applied for citizenship (proof of) as her mum was born in Canada in 1952 and left when she was 2 (1954), can you tell me if you applied for the same thing? Did you have any issues? How long did it take to come through?

Thanks for your help and again sorry to hear about your time over there.....but as I said stick it out! Good things come to those that wait!
monkeyboy3 is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:06 am
  #9  
Sawdust making harpy
 
mandymoochops's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 11,291
mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

Yeah a major fault of mine is not reading things propery before posting lol sorry!

I wonder how the op has been applying for jobs??? Emails / handing out cv's???

Seriously I would go into the malls in toronto, and head into every shop there and ask for a sales position (not 100% commision based).

They are always looking for people

Sometimes the best things come out of crappy situations
mandymoochops is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:08 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

Originally Posted by monkeyboy3 View Post
Hi Loss sorry to roll off the topic and really sorry to hear you are not having my luck over there I say stick it out! Everything will come together.

My wife has just applied for citizenship (proof of) as her mum was born in Canada in 1952 and left when she was 2 (1954), can you tell me if you applied for the same thing? Did you have any issues? How long did it take to come through?

Thanks for your help and again sorry to hear about your time over there.....but as I said stick it out! Good things come to those that wait!
yes I did, it took forever to come. then once you get that you can apply for a passport.
edit
it took me about 6/7months for proof citizenship less than 2 weeks for the passport, I don't know If I'm right but heard you gotta do it before your 28,

Last edited by loss; Mar 2nd 2011 at 7:15 am.
loss is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:11 am
  #11  
Temporary Canuck
 
mattieuk's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Burnaby, B.C.
Posts: 336
mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

Originally Posted by mandymoochops View Post
Yeah a major fault of mine is not reading things propery before posting lol sorry!

I wonder how the op has been applying for jobs??? Emails / handing out cv's???

Seriously I would go into the malls in toronto, and head into every shop there and ask for a sales position (not 100% commision based).

They are always looking for people

Sometimes the best things come out of crappy situations
Ohhhh, on the back of this, one of the jobs I got when first coming here was at an outlet branch of a high street clothing retail store. All of the outlet branches were on a purely 'per hour' basis - where the mall stores were a split of hourly wage and commission.

So if the mall search isn't your thing, you may have better luck looking at a 'big box' industrial retail park if there are any around Toronto.

Good luck!
mattieuk is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:15 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
Posts: 4,785
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

One thing there is no shortage of in my neck of the woods...youth soccer coaches with British accents. If you're any good at soccer, take a couple of basic coaching courses and then go tell everyone you used to be in the Manchester United youth system but had to retire due to injury! You can make good money running clinics, camps and coaching a few competitive youth teams. I know one guy who even started a Soccer Mom clinic for mothers who wanted to become better soccer players. The work is year round as there are indoor facilities popping up all over the place. It's worth thinking about.
MarylandNed is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:19 am
  #13  
Sawdust making harpy
 
mandymoochops's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 11,291
mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
Ohhhh, on the back of this, one of the jobs I got when first coming here was at an outlet branch of a high street clothing retail store. All of the outlet branches were on a purely 'per hour' basis - where the mall stores were a split of hourly wage and commission.

So if the mall search isn't your thing, you may have better luck looking at a 'big box' industrial retail park if there are any around Toronto.

Good luck!
yup - it may not seem like the ideal job - but it's a job, that more importantly gives you face to face contact with a hell of a lot of people.

You can network for other jobs (not really ethical but hey!) meet people to hang out with and possible even find your potential boyfrind / girlfriend.

I loved retail though as a make up counter girl the only men I ever met were the ones still madly in love with their partners and buying them smellies and perfumes!!!!!
mandymoochops is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:25 am
  #14  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 163
monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

Originally Posted by loss View Post
yes I did, it took forever to come. then once you get that you can apply for a passport.
edit
it took me about 6/7months for proof citizenship less than 2 weeks for the passport, I don't know If I'm right but heard you gotta do it before your 28,

Thanks very much for posting back. I checked on the CIC website, and this is for some people that were born February 1977 and April 1981, and if your parent was born outside Canada. My wife was born in 1982, and her mum was born in Canada so should be ok.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, its very much appreciated!

Last edited by monkeyboy3; Mar 2nd 2011 at 7:27 am.
monkeyboy3 is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:31 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

if i don't get a job and run out of money can I get help in canada,
there not gonna like the fact I have not even been here a year.I have never claimed benefits in my life and this would only be last resort.
would they say just go back to england.
loss is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.