Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to do, canadian/british citizen

What to do, canadian/british citizen

Old Mar 5th 2011, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What to do, canadian/british citizen

I have applied to loads of stores I go on craiglist/jobbank everyday. I also have gone round many stores and handed out CVs just about every where in the 3month period,
I just had an Interview at a Tims Hortons this morning ,In total I have had 4 interviews since have been here,
The Interview I had was really bad the guy spoke quietly refused to shake my hand and said they would be a second round of interviews and I would hear something in 3/4weeks (bullshit) , I turned up 10mins early as you do and had to wait half hour why he was interviewing someone else , and I only had 5min interview,
the guy before me spoke the same Native langage as the Store manager, India I think.

Maybe thats my problem if they want English speaking White Caucasian they want Canadian if they want immigrant they want someone from China,japan India etc etc,
Old Mar 5th 2011, 6:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried kijiji? http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-jobs-W0QQCatIdZ45 There are over 25,000 jobs on there. I got to page 9 and the ads were only 4 hours old.

A few to consider..

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-bar-...AdIdZ265062942

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-bar-...AdIdZ265061045

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-bar-...AdIdZ265053281

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-bar-...AdIdZ265033418

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-part...AdIdZ265041164

Have you got your smartserve certificate? You can do it online - it costs $38 but with it it will be easier to get a bar job. https://smartserve.org/online_training.asp

I presume you have "Canadianised" your resume? Wearing decent gear when dropping off your resume or enquiring after positions (cold calling)?

I would give yourself 4 weeks to find a job (any job) and if you can't then you should seriously consider returning to the UK until you are able to raise enough funds to be able to have time to find one on your return.

Good luck
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:59 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Loss, would you employ you? What do you look like, and what do you act like? Is there something about yourself that maybe needs a bit of a seeing to in order that employers see around 'it' and into the real you? I think when I arrive in Canada, I will be looking for just the sort of work that you are, and I'm a native English speaker, so I wish you all the luck in the world.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loss
I have applied to loads of stores I go on craiglist/jobbank everyday. I also have gone round many stores and handed out CVs just about every where in the 3month period,
I just had an Interview at a Tims Hortons this morning ,In total I have had 4 interviews since have been here,
The Interview I had was really bad the guy spoke quietly refused to shake my hand and said they would be a second round of interviews and I would hear something in 3/4weeks (bullshit) , I turned up 10mins early as you do and had to wait half hour why he was interviewing someone else , and I only had 5min interview,
the guy before me spoke the same Native langage as the Store manager, India I think.

Maybe thats my problem if they want English speaking White Caucasian they want Canadian if they want immigrant they want someone from China,japan India etc etc,
There is no reason they have to make people wait 3 or 4 weeks - they could hire you on the spot. Though if I had low skilled min wage jobs to fill it's what I would do. After that time the candidates will either be desperate or have found another job. Either way I win; as the majority of people I would have employed are those that really need the job. They won't walk out when something better comes along simply because for them nothing better will ever come along.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:55 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't be that hard mate. I've got an interview for menial work with Mountain Park lodge in Jasper, Alberta (though the interviews in London) in a few days.

Chin up and pull your thumb out :P

Last edited by zRichi; Mar 7th 2011 at 5:57 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zRichi
Can't be that hard mate. I've got an interview for menial work with Mountain Park lodge in Jasper, Alberta (though the interviews in London) in a few days.

Chin up and pull your thumb out :P
How thoughtful.

However if the OP does have enough $$ to get to AB then he could apply for a seasonal job out there.

http://www.mpljasper.com/about/job_postings.html
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:06 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

It is pretty thoughtful actually. Given that they've gone to the lengths to hire in London he'd probably have a better chance being he's in CA already.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by loss
if i don't get a job and run out of money can I get help in canada,
there not gonna like the fact I have not even been here a year.I have never claimed benefits in my life and this would only be last resort.
would they say just go back to england.
i would recommend you take a quicky course at a local community college for PSW (personal support worker) then try to get into a hospital as an orderly. That's good money (ranges from $16-22 an hour), good schedule. That's what I would do!