Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to do about student loan debt?

Wikiposts

What to do about student loan debt?

Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:38 am
Just Joined

killabite84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do about student loan debt?

Hi all,
*TL;DR at the bottom*
First post here so a little background info:
I am 22 and i moved to Canada when i was 15 with my parents. In Aug '12 they moved back and i had no savings to speak of and no where to stay so needless to say i joined them on their journey back to the UK. Now that I'm quite tired of being back I would like re-relocate to lovely Alberta.

Here's my issue:
During my stay in Canada i took out 2 (really 1) student loans (1 with the Alberta gov't and 1 with the federal gov't, i say really 1 because i didnt apply for separate loans, but they are different agencies nonetheless). However, i dropped out of college midway through my second semester because i didn't enjoy the subject matter like i expected, and it was really taxing travelling over an hour each way to college 5 days a week, and working wherever possible because they didn't loan as much as i needed in the first place. I know, that's a good thing now right.

So i started repaying this loan around Oct 2011, and stopped repaying around Nov/Dec 2012, when i was unemployed in the UK and the money from selling all my stuff had ran out. Luckily my uncle was able to sort me out a minimum wage job shortly after, but i have never had the 100pnds/month excess (not to mention bank fees) to pay these loans back and i never contacted the loan company. (S*** you do when your young and dumb)

ANYWAYS, I owe somewhere in the region of 6 or $7,000 in loans, oh and a Visa at $1,000 but being I think i can just start putting money straight back on that in small increments.

So I now want to start saving to return to Canada as soon as possible, but my question is, how do I go about dealing with this? I still make barely above minimum wage, so there is literally no way i can pay the loans off while saving to move back. And even if i can get back, i fear the debt would just be crippling for a guy like me, alone in Canada. What if I can't make enough there and I have to run home to Mummy and Daddy with the savings I'm about to try and accumulate completely wasted, and I have to start right back at square 1 for a 3rd time?

Please help me someone Thank you for reading <3

TL;DR I emigrated to Canada but had to move back to UK, I now want to move back to Canada but i owe 6 or $7000 in student loan debts that i haven't made payments on in a year without contacting the gov't agencies. Paying those back make moving back seemingly impossible. What should I do?
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:44 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do about student loan debt?

Originally Posted by killabite84
Hi all,
*TL;DR at the bottom*
First post here so a little background info:
I am 22 and i moved to Canada when i was 15 with my parents. In Aug '12 they moved back and i had no savings to speak of and no where to stay so needless to say i joined them on their journey back to the UK. Now that I'm quite tired of being back I would like re-relocate to lovely Alberta.

Here's my issue:
During my stay in Canada i took out 2 (really 1) student loans (1 with the Alberta gov't and 1 with the federal gov't, i say really 1 because i didnt apply for separate loans, but they are different agencies nonetheless). However, i dropped out of college midway through my second semester because i didn't enjoy the subject matter like i expected, and it was really taxing travelling over an hour each way to college 5 days a week, and working wherever possible because they didn't loan as much as i needed in the first place. I know, that's a good thing now right.

So i started repaying this loan around Oct 2011, and stopped repaying around Nov/Dec 2012, when i was unemployed in the UK and the money from selling all my stuff had ran out. Luckily my uncle was able to sort me out a minimum wage job shortly after, but i have never had the 100pnds/month excess (not to mention bank fees) to pay these loans back and i never contacted the loan company. (S*** you do when your young and dumb)

ANYWAYS, I owe somewhere in the region of 6 or $7,000 in loans, oh and a Visa at $1,000 but being I think i can just start putting money straight back on that in small increments.

So I now want to start saving to return to Canada as soon as possible, but my question is, how do I go about dealing with this? I still make barely above minimum wage, so there is literally no way i can pay the loans off while saving to move back. And even if i can get back, i fear the debt would just be crippling for a guy like me, alone in Canada. What if I can't make enough there and I have to run home to Mummy and Daddy with the savings I'm about to try and accumulate completely wasted, and I have to start right back at square 1 for a 3rd time?

Please help me someone Thank you for reading <3

TL;DR I emigrated to Canada but had to move back to UK, I now want to move back to Canada but i owe 6 or $7000 in student loan debts that i haven't made payments on in a year without contacting the gov't agencies. Paying those back make moving back seemingly impossible. What should I do?
You are going to have to contact the companies and make payment arrangements.
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just checking, but what visa are you planning on applying for that will cost $1000, and what other costs have you budgeted for? Moving back will cost you a LOT more than just the visa fees, even if you don't ship anything or have any other family/pets to move with you.

What visa were you on whilst you were in Canada 2012, I assume you're not a citizen or PR?

But with regard to your student loans, personally I'd contact them asap and arrange to start paying it back in small instalments. Last thing you want is for it to come back and bite you when/if you move back.

Best of luck.
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE!

I would suggest you start by reading this: http://www.canlearn.ca/eng/loans_gra...t/manage.shtml

and then if you can pay off any arrears, you may qualify for this: http://www.canlearn.ca/eng/loans_gra...sistance.shtml

Under the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP):

You can make affordable payments based on your gross family income and family size. Your loan payments would never exceed 20% of your gross family income.
Your monthly student loan payments will either be reduced, or you will not have to make any payments.
You have a maximum repayment period of 15 years (or 10 years for qualified borrowers with a permanent disability).
Enrolment is not automatic and you would have to re-apply for this plan every 6 months.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just checking, but what visa are you planning on applying for that will cost $1000, and what other costs have you budgeted for? Moving back will cost you a LOT more than just the visa fees, even if you don't ship anything or have any other family/pets to move with you.

What visa were you on whilst you were in Canada 2012, I assume you're not a citizen or PR?

But with regard to your student loans, personally I'd contact them asap and arrange to start paying it back in small instalments. Last thing you want is for it to come back and bite you when/if you move back.

Best of luck.
He has PR.

"... I emigrated to Canada but had to move back to UK, I now want to move back to Canada... "
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
He has PR.

"... I emigrated to Canada but had to move back to UK, I now want to move back to Canada... "
That doesn't mean he had PR though, could have just been a TWP/study permit/etc. Where does he say he had PR? And if he does, then why on earth is he spending $1000 on a visa?!? Enquiring minds would like to know.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:53 am
Banned

That doesn't mean he had PR though, could have just been a TWP/study permit/etc. Where does he say he had PR? And if he does, then why on earth is he spending $1000 on a visa?!? Enquiring minds would like to know.
He says he emigrated - that would imply PR.

He wouldn't have been able to obtain Student loans unless he was a PR:

".. Student loans, which do have to be repaid after graduation, are available to students who are Canadian citizens, landed immigrants, and protected persons... "

He means Visa Card debt.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 4th 2013 at 6:55 am.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

And if he does, then why on earth is he spending $1000 on a visa?!?
By 'visa', I presume they mean 'VISA Credit Card' .
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarkG
By 'visa', I presume they mean 'VISA Credit Card' .
Indeed haha guess i shoulda clarified.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Hello and welcome to BE!

I would suggest you start by reading this: http://www.canlearn.ca/eng/loans_gra...t/manage.shtml

and then if you can pay off any arrears, you may qualify for this: http://www.canlearn.ca/eng/loans_gra...sistance.shtml

Under the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP):

You can make affordable payments based on your gross family income and family size. Your loan payments would never exceed 20% of your gross family income.
Your monthly student loan payments will either be reduced, or you will not have to make any payments.
You have a maximum repayment period of 15 years (or 10 years for qualified borrowers with a permanent disability).
Enrolment is not automatic and you would have to re-apply for this plan every 6 months.
Thank you very much I will have a good read through this
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Just so we can all move on, I have Permanent Residency valid until March 2017, so if i recall correctly i need to return to the country before Aug of 2014 in order to be able to renew. And if it's after this i believe I'll have to go the citizenship route? It is likely to be after this.

And i have a Visa Credit Card with $1000 on it that i need to pay. I'm not so worried about that because as I said, i can just make incremental payments, and yes it is probably horrific for my credit score. But hey ho.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

He says he emigrated - that would imply PR.
I would disagree, as most going over on TWP's also seem to say they're emigrating.

He means Visa Card debt.
Ah, quite possibly. 'A visa' is a rather odd way of saying it though, but that does make sense now!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Just so we can all move on, I have Permanent Residency valid until March 2017, so if i recall correctly i need to return to the country before Aug of 2014 in order to be able to renew. And if it's after this i believe I'll have to go the citizenship route? It is likely to be after this. .
It's not a case of being 'able to renew', but you do have to spend at least 2 years out of every 5 in Canada since you 'landed' as a PR. So it will depend on when you 'landed' as a PR.

And you don't have to go down the citizenship route if you don't want to, although that would make sense if you want to stay permanently.

Good luck.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:26 am
Just Joined

It's not a case of being 'able to renew', but you do have to spend at least 2 years out of every 5 in Canada since you 'landed' as a PR. So it will depend on when you 'landed' as a PR.

And you don't have to go down the citizenship route if you don't want to, although that would make sense if you want to stay permanently.

Good luck.
Well I renewed it in Mar 2012. Its my second one. I originally moved in Mar 2007. So i've been there about 6 months on the current one. I thought it was 3 out of the 5. If it's 2 that would really help lol.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Well I renewed it in Mar 2012. Its my second one. I originally moved in Mar 2007. So i've been there about 6 months on the current one. I thought it was 3 out of the 5. If it's 2 that would really help lol.
OK, so you landed as a PR in March 2007? In which case, then the time started ticking on your current 5 year cycle in March 2012, so you need to spend 2 years (730 days to be precise) in Canada between then and March 2017. Plenty of time to save up before you go.

It's a shame that you didn't apply for citizenship last year as the clock on that has now reset, but not to worry.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 4th 2013 at 7:36 am.