British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What to do??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-do-844489/)

---mlm--- Oct 5th 2014 8:56 am

What to do???

Hi apologies if its been asked before but have searched forum and cant find an answer. My husband is waiting for a LMIA for his job as a truck driver. We were due out end of july and it all fell through 2 days before we were due to fly out, anyway the problem is i will more than likely not be able to work with all the changes made by the government and we have a daughter who will be university age if we do manage to get out next year, would we be able to afford to send her to uni on one wage???? :confused:

Twitcher1958 Oct 5th 2014 11:02 am

Re: What to do???

Depends on the wage and where she goes to university. One thing to bear in mind that the rules for eligibility for home fees vary - in Canada, until you become Permanent Residents, she will be classed as an international student. Meanwhile in the UK, she will need to be resident in the UK for three years before university to be classed as a home student.
To confirm, I have just found these words from the university my daughter attends:
'The undermentioned tuition fees apply to Canadian students and those with permanent resident status. Students from outside of Canada, who do not have permanent resident status, should consult Visa Student Fees, below.

Just looked at the fees there - typically a home student will pay $7500 in fees annually compared to $16000 for an international student! So a very big difference.

---mlm--- Oct 5th 2014 12:44 pm

Huge i did an estimate cost on the university of alberta and the first year average is $32,528.08!!!! Even if we were both working i think that would still be a push and a huge expense.

withabix Oct 5th 2014 1:44 pm

Haven't the rules changed with regard to Dependents as of 1st August 2014?

I might be wrong, but your daughter wouldn't qualify as a Dependent after her 19th birthday, even if she is at University:

Minor and dependent children

christmasoompa Oct 5th 2014 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by withabix (Post 11428458)
Haven't the rules changed with regard to Dependents as of 1st August 2014?

I might be wrong, but your daughter wouldn't qualify as a Dependent after her 19th birthday, even if she is at University:

Minor and dependent children

I was just about to say the same thing, OP when exactly will your daughter turn 19?

---mlm--- Oct 5th 2014 3:05 pm

She will be 18 in january coming.

neilg14 Oct 5th 2014 5:08 pm

Sorry to say but if you're just relying on a truck drivers wage, it will be a big struggle and he will be away 2-3 weeks at a time and home for 36hrs until you can get PR then look for a local hourly paid job.
The money is half decent then.
Where are you hoping to go to ?
I believe in some Provinces you'll be able to get an open WP.

dishwashing Oct 5th 2014 6:02 pm

Please note the dependents rule then as per above and best of luck in your moving plans

---mlm--- Oct 6th 2014 8:20 am

I think if we had of gone when we were due to we would of been ok but now with the possibility of me not working the move is a no go.

christmasoompa Oct 6th 2014 8:32 am

Originally Posted by ---mlm--- (Post 11429171)
I think if we had of gone when we were due to we would of been ok but now with the possibility of me not working the move is a no go.

Sorry to hear that, but tbh I'm slightly confused - you're a nurse, right? So could have applied for PR anytime you wanted, and also if you went on a TWP, your OH would get an open work permit, so you could both work.

So could you not focus on your job instead of his? It would give you much more flexibility (being able to apply for PR straight away, unlike on a truckers work permit, both of you being able to work etc).

Or, if you'd gone over on his work permit it would have taken you months (or even years going on recent posts!) to get qualified to work in Canada as a nurse, so presumably you have enough savings to survive on one wage for a while, could you not still do that?

---mlm--- Oct 6th 2014 9:56 am

Because im not a general trained nurse then i would have to go back to university in canada to train in the area's that i havent had clinical practice in which takes about 12-18 months, hence why i looked into working as an LPN instead.

christmasoompa Oct 6th 2014 10:38 am

Originally Posted by ---mlm--- (Post 11429285)
Because im not a general trained nurse then i would have to go back to university in canada to train in the area's that i havent had clinical practice in which takes about 12-18 months, hence why i looked into working as an LPN instead.

OK, so as a LPN you could have applied as a FSW as it's on 'the list' of eligible occupations, or gone over on a TWP and had an open work permit for your OH.

I'm just confused as to why you've always focused on your OH's job as a truck driver as a way to get a visa, when you've got skills that are more in demand and would get you in a much better visa situation?

---mlm--- Oct 6th 2014 11:53 am

We just thought it was an easier and quicker way to get there. How long does the fsw route take?
You may have just give us a glimmer of hope. � ����

christmasoompa Oct 6th 2014 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ---mlm--- (Post 11429430)
We just thought it was an easier and quicker way to get there. How long does the fsw route take?

FSW will take around 12-18 months, but you'd have the security of PR for both of you before moving, and tbh looking at your previous posts would have been a lot quicker than trying to get a LMIA/TWP for your OH.

Probably too late now though as your NOC will be full I suspect, but I just wondered if there was a specific reason why you'd never considered using your job as a route to visa when it was much more likely to result in PR and/or a job offer.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

---mlm--- Oct 6th 2014 12:20 pm

To be honest once the nursing route was out the question and once OH had a job offer we thought it was the quicker way to go but it all fell through 2 days before we were due to go.
Annoyed with ourselves that we didnt look at this route!!!! � ���