Wikiposts

what to do?

Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:19 am
Just Joined

bethuk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile what to do?

Firstly Hi to everyone!
Me and my partner have always had a dream of setting up home in Canada, but we don't want to jump straight into it, we would ideally like to rent out our home here in the UK and come to Canada on a Temp basis for around a year.
I work for the Government and my partner is an Estate Agent, but he has read that it is difficult for British Estate Agents in Canada to find work, he would be looking to work with a company such as Remax.
Where do we start?
Do we have to go through the same lengthy process for a temp visa?
and how long to temp visas last?

Many Thanks,

Beth
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:39 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to do?

Originally Posted by bethuk1
Firstly Hi to everyone!
Me and my partner have always had a dream of setting up home in Canada, but we don't want to jump straight into it, we would ideally like to rent out our home here in the UK and come to Canada on a Temp basis for around a year.
I work for the Government and my partner is an Estate Agent, but he has read that it is difficult for British Estate Agents in Canada to find work, he would be looking to work with a company such as Remax.
Where do we start?

Many Thanks,

Beth
Hi, I belive you have to study and pass exams to become a realtor here, as house buying is very different here as to the UK. More is done by a realtor and it is their responsibility to get the deal through (i believe), it's not just left to the solicitors. Also my job in the UK was with the civil service and I'm finding it hard to get a job. It might be as well to put in a application for permanent residency anyway, I hear it's taking 39 months to process now and apply for a tempory visa, if you don't like it in Canada you can always remove the PR application after. Hope this waffle helped a little
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:06 am
Just Joined

bethuk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Hi, I belive you have to study and pass exams to become a realtor here, as house buying is very different here as to the UK. More is done by a realtor and it is their responsibility to get the deal through (i believe), it's not just left to the solicitors. Also my job in the UK was with the civil service and I'm finding it hard to get a job. It might be as well to put in a application for permanent residency anyway, I hear it's taking 39 months to process now and apply for a tempory visa, if you don't like it in Canada you can always remove the PR application after. Hope this waffle helped a little
Thats excellent, thanks for your reply, my other half was aware about being a "Realtor" rather than an estate agent, luckily hes a qualified Cabinet Maker too (Odd combination I know!) he's quite worried about being able to find work, I'm currently having talks with my Human Resources Dept at work to see if they have any way of Transferring my work over to Canada and putting it under a sort of Development stage in my career.
I've always dreamt of living in Canada but as soon as I really starting thinking about doing it I get real nervous! loads of whats ifs and buts..is that normal?

Thanks,

Beth
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Realtors are are licenced over here. To be a realtor here, you also have to be a Canadian Citizen - I don't know why, but I know someone who looked into it and that was what she found out.

If you are even just thinking about it I would say get you application in. It takes about 3 months to get all the information you need to apply. Start to finish it looks like PR applications are taking about 4 years at the moment and that is expected to become even longer in the future.

Firstly Hi to everyone!
Where do we start?

Many Thanks,

Beth
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:30 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats excellent, thanks for your reply, my other half was aware about being a "Realtor" rather than an estate agent, luckily hes a qualified Cabinet Maker too (Odd combination I know!) he's quite worried about being able to find work, I'm currently having talks with my Human Resources Dept at work to see if they have any way of Transferring my work over to Canada and putting it under a sort of Development stage in my career.
I've always dreamt of living in Canada but as soon as I really starting thinking about doing it I get real nervous! loads of whats ifs and buts..is that normal?

Thanks,

Beth
I would luuuuuuuurve to be a cabinet maker. If I ever win the lottery, I will.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:32 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
To be a realtor here, you also have to be a Canadian Citizen - I don't know why, but I know someone who looked into it and that was what she found out.
That's a surprise to me, Colsgirl. Here is a website called Becoming a Realtor - Provincial Licensing Requirements. I followed the links to the British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario requirements, and did not find any mention of citizenship.

It's possible that citizenship is a requirement in one of the other provinces. One would need to check the link to the real estate council for the province that was of particular interest.

On this forum, Andy (see andy_sheila ) has become a realtor in Nova Scotia. Andy and Sheila have been in Canada for only a few months. As far as I know they are still permanent residents and are not citizens yet.

Helen Parnell is a realtor in Alberta and jcexit is a realtor in Ontario. I don't know whether or not they are citizens. If they are citizens, I don't know whether or not they became realtors prior to becoming citizens. However, they would know the rules insofar as they pertain to Alberta and Ontario respectively.

Bethuk1, your husband's qualifications as a cabinet maker may be the most useful credentials that the two of you have between you. Use the advanced search feature to do a word search for "chippy," "carpenter," "cabinet maker," etc., on the Lifestyle & Culture - Canada forum. There you will find some previous threads about employment prospects, accreditation in Canada's various provinces, etc. As far as accreditation goes, you also can do a Google search for ACCREDITATION + CABINET MAKER + NAME OF PROVINCE IN WHICH YOU ARE INTERESTED.

I don't know what kind of work you do for the government in the UK and what sort of qualifications underpin that work. If you have a university degree, it may stand you in good stead when you seek employment in the private sector. Don't expect to get a government job. Advertisements for federal government jobs typically state that only Canadian citizens are eligible for them. When it comes to provincial government jobs, the rules vary from province to province.

If you are under 35, you could come to Canada for a year with BUNAC. Otherwise, read Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website. Here's the bit about coming over on a temporary work permit, and here's the bit about applying for permanent residence.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Hi Judy, it may be a BC thing. All I know is that a friend decided she would like to study to become a realtor. When she went on to apply for the course, in the joining notes it said Canadian Citizenship as one of the joining requirements. Any more than that, I don't know.

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
That's a surprise to me, Colsgirl. Here is a website called Becoming a Realtor - Provincial Licensing Requirements. I followed the links to the British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario requirements, and did not find any mention of citizenship.

It's possible that citizenship is a requirement in one of the other provinces. One would need to check the link to the real estate council for the province that was of particular interest.

On this forum, Andy (see andy_sheila ) has become a realtor in Nova Scotia. Andy and Sheila have been in Canada for only a few months. As far as I know they are still permanent residents and are not citizens yet.

Helen Parnell is a realtor in Alberta and jcexit is a realtor in Ontario. I don't know whether or not they are citizens. If they are citizens, I don't know whether or not they became realtors prior to becoming citizens. However, they would know the rules insofar as they pertain to Alberta and Ontario respectively.

Bethuk1, your husband's qualifications as a cabinet maker may be the most useful credentials that the two of you have between you. Use the advanced search feature to do a word search for "chippy," "carpenter," "cabinet maker," etc., on the Lifestyle & Culture - Canada forum. There you will find some previous threads about employment prospects, accreditation in Canada's various provinces, etc. As far as accreditation goes, you also can do a Google search for ACCREDITATION + CABINET MAKER + NAME OF PROVINCE IN WHICH YOU ARE INTERESTED.

I don't know what kind of work you do for the government in the UK and what sort of qualifications underpin that work. If you have a university degree, it may stand you in good stead when you seek employment in the private sector. Don't expect to get a government job. Advertisements for federal government jobs typically state that only Canadian citizens are eligible for them. When it comes to provincial government jobs, the rules vary from province to province.

If you are under 35, you could come to Canada for a year with BUNAC. Otherwise, read Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website. Here's the bit about coming over on a temporary work permit, and here's the bit about applying for permanent residence.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:55 am

Hope that helps.
Gosh but you're thorough!

I take issue with the government jobs and eligibility bit, though. Some govenrment jobs "require" Canadian citizenship. Usually it is "preferred". At the end of the day it makes no difference. If you're not Canadian and already working for the government, the chances of getting in are similar to mine are when it comes to Meg Ryan and the spray can of whipped cream.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:09 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
the chances of getting in are similar to mine are when it comes to Meg Ryan and the spray can of whipped cream.

Tried to send you karma for that, but was told to jump in a lake.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:28 am

Tried to send you karma for that, but was told to jump in a lake.
jump in a lake-Meg Ryan-MMMMMMM

You can tell it's Valentine's Day tomorrow. And I haven't see my missus for a week.

Don't worry about the karma. Mwah anyway.