British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What is a decent salary? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-decent-salary-905427/)

iaink Nov 10th 2017 10:34 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12379511)
And you'll need to go to church. Find a good episcopal one, which is basically the Anglican church without the allegiance to the British monarch.

Cant I just hang out with the other like minded people I find at the golf course on a Sunday morning?

Shard Nov 10th 2017 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12379511)

And you'll need to go to church. Find a good episcopal one, which is basically the Anglican church without the allegiance to the British monarch.

That where my USA rose tinted spectacles get crushed.

dbd33 Nov 10th 2017 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12379528)
That where my USA rose tinted spectacles get crushed.

Going to church isn't an issue if people go in the manner that the English go to church, that is, independently of belief. That's not a threatening thing at all. It's just people needing a social centre to their lives, and it's way better than finding that centre in, say, football hooliganism or Young Conservatism.

Oink Nov 11th 2017 1:57 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12379544)
Going to church isn't an issue if people go in the manner that the English go to church, that is, independently of belief. That's not a threatening thing at all. It's just people needing a social centre to their lives, and it's way better than finding that centre in, say, football hooliganism or Young Conservatism.

Absolutely, it’s not about believing in some metaphysical entity, it’s just a social thing to say you share the same cultural foundations. It’’ll just make you and your family’s life that much easier. The South [lower Appalachia] is very different than Canada.

dbd33 Nov 11th 2017 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12379591)
lower Appalachia

Heh, our blog about rural life around here referred to our location as Upper Appalachia. The other author was originally from Raleigh, something about Ontario's rural poverty and the religious history of places called Luther and Melancthon struck a chord with her.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 11th 2017 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12379480)
I haven't been to TX either, but it appeals. My first choice would be California or maybe Hawaii (have visited).

I would love to live in Hawaii and would be there if cost of living wasn't so high and of course so isolated from the rest of the country.

Shard Nov 11th 2017 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12379642)
I would love to live in Hawaii and would be there if cost of living wasn't so high and of course so isolated from the rest of the country.

Is cost of living that much higher than Vancouver these days? Isolated it may be, but what splendid isolation!

BristolUK Nov 11th 2017 6:29 pm

I would love to live in Hawaii ...

Hawaii wins every time. Five-Nil. That was the score wasn't it? ;)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....82,268_AL_.jpg

Jerseygirl Nov 11th 2017 7:05 pm

Me too and we would if it wasn’t so far away from everything.

Oink Nov 11th 2017 7:17 pm

You wouldn't like it. It's boring, claustrophobic and everybody hates you.

JamesM Nov 11th 2017 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12379998)
You wouldn't like it. It's boring, claustrophobic and everybody hates you.

What are the Hooters girls like?

Oink Nov 11th 2017 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12380006)
What are the Hooters girls like?

Exotic

Tirytory Nov 12th 2017 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12379591)
Absolutely, it’s not about believing in some metaphysical entity, it’s just a social thing to say you share the same cultural foundations. It’’ll just make you and your family’s life that much easier. The South [lower Appalachia] is very different than Canada.

It's hypocritical in the extreme. I could or would not pretend to be something I'm not just to fit in.

Oink Nov 12th 2017 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 12380129)
It's hypocritical in the extreme. I could or would not pretend to be something I'm not just to fit in.

Why not? If you don’t believe in it anyway what does it matter if you attend for your own reasons? It’s a nice morning out, listen to a few stories, have a singsong, make some friends and then go out for lunch.

Tirytory Nov 12th 2017 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12380132)
Why not? If you don’t believe in it anyway what does it matter if you attend for your own reasons? It’s a nice morning out, listen to a few stories, have a singsong, make some friends and then go out for lunch.

Maybe having been involved in a deep almost cultish religion myself as a "youngster", I don't like to be false in any way.

And invariably the friends you might make that way, would absolutely not fit in with thoughts and beliefs ie Abortion, politics etc.