British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What is a decent salary? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-decent-salary-905427/)

rivingtonpike Nov 9th 2017 7:32 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 12378138)
I would not move to the GTA with a family of 4 for 80k unless I was heavily motivated by canadian (or north american) lifestyle factors. Its going to be hard to buy and maintain a place plus pay for family activities, child care etc on that level of income in whats loosely the "Greater Toronto Area". Sure there are people that get by on less, and good on them, but do you want to move continents in order to clip coupons to keep your grocery bill in check?

I was on a similar level of income out in the (cheaper) eastern ontario wastelands, and by the time bills were paid and kids activities paid for lets say we were not exactly packing the savings accounts to pay for trips back to see Grandad, or more practically to pay for college tuition for the kids.

Long story short I'm about to take up a job in the US that pays significantly more in the hope that its worth the level of family upheaval that its going to create.

Great to hear from you! Welcome back.:thumbsup:

Jerseygirl Nov 9th 2017 7:58 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 12378138)
I would not move to the GTA with a family of 4 for 80k unless I was heavily motivated by canadian (or north american) lifestyle factors. Its going to be hard to buy and maintain a place plus pay for family activities, child care etc on that level of income in whats loosely the "Greater Toronto Area". Sure there are people that get by on less, and good on them, but do you want to move continents in order to clip coupons to keep your grocery bill in check?

I was on a similar level of income out in the (cheaper) eastern ontario wastelands, and by the time bills were paid and kids activities paid for lets say we were not exactly packing the savings accounts to pay for trips back to see Grandad, or more practically to pay for college tuition for the kids.

Long story short I'm about to take up a job in the US that pays significantly more in the hope that its worth the level of family upheaval that its going to create.

Hello stranger. :)

I hope you are moving to somewhere with warmer winters. :fingerscrossed: hope to see you over in the US forums...as you struggle to deal with US healthcare and dual tax returns. :eek: ;)

Novocastrian Nov 9th 2017 8:36 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 12378138)

Long story short I'm about to take up a job in the US that pays significantly more in the hope that its worth the level of family upheaval that its going to create.

Hello stranger. Good luck in the US. Strange choice but good luck anyway.

How many years ago is it that we had that drink (or three) together... 10?

Shard Nov 9th 2017 8:42 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?
 
OP, this article related to Canadian salaries:

In places like Ottawa and Regina, for example, median incomes weigh in at over $80,000, well above the national median, but to overshoot the middle class you need roughly $155,000 and $151,000 respectively.


https://globalnews.ca/news/3828447/c...ome-inequality




.

Novocastrian Nov 9th 2017 9:22 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12378715)
OP, this article related to Canadian salaries:

In places like Ottawa and Regina, for example, median incomes weigh in at over $80,000, well above the national median, but to overshoot the middle class you need roughly $155,000 and $151,000 respectively.


https://globalnews.ca/news/3828447/c...ome-inequality

A dubious analysis. Middle class (another spurious label) and Median Income are completely unrelated.

BEVS Nov 9th 2017 10:18 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 12378138)
I would not move to the GTA with a family of 4 for 80k unless I was heavily motivated by canadian (or north american) lifestyle factors. Its going to be hard to buy and maintain a place plus pay for family activities, child care etc on that level of income in whats loosely the "Greater Toronto Area". Sure there are people that get by on less, and good on them, but do you want to move continents in order to clip coupons to keep your grocery bill in check?

I was on a similar level of income out in the (cheaper) eastern ontario wastelands, and by the time bills were paid and kids activities paid for lets say we were not exactly packing the savings accounts to pay for trips back to see Grandad, or more practically to pay for college tuition for the kids.

Long story short I'm about to take up a job in the US that pays significantly more in the hope that its worth the level of family upheaval that its going to create.

Iaink :wub:
Made my day that has.

Shard Nov 10th 2017 12:54 am

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12378734)
A dubious analysis. Middle class (another spurious label) and Median Income are completely unrelated.

That's putting too fine a point on it.

dgagitw Nov 10th 2017 1:23 am

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12374490)
It's not just that. Who'd move to Canada from the UK and put up with rubbish schools, climate, restaurants and the general dull naffness of the place unless you were going to a make a packet?

You forgot the total absence of cheese and the absolute certainty that your UK electrical equipment will explode causing your house to burn down and your insurance company to deny your claim.

FishAndChips00 Nov 10th 2017 2:55 am

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 12378138)
Long story short I'm about to take up a job in the US that pays significantly more in the hope that its worth the level of family upheaval that its going to create.

I'm assuming this is on a TN (NAFTA) visa. What's your fallback strategy in case that Trump decides to blow up NAFTA?

iaink Nov 10th 2017 12:59 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?
 
Thank you all for the warm reception, many familiar faces here still!
Not wishing to highjack the OPs thread but Im heading to Greenville SC area, initially on a Nafta TN visa, with the company committed in a non specific way to getting a PR visa. Serious downside to TN visa is spouse can come but cant work, so PR is the long term aim for us. Besides, as I remember it temp residency in Canada sucked, no employment options, no credit rating etc etc.

Its ironic that I first came to BE all them years (and posts, 30k? really??!) ago in order to get some idea how long Canadian citizenship takes to process as my job had previously gone tits up and I wanted to be Canadian in order to make it easier to leave Canada for the US if my job situation went pear shaped again, and now here I am years later doing just that.
Mind you, this morning in Quinte its minus 8 with -16C windchill with the youngest boarding the schoolbus bundled up in a snowsuit, so 18 and sunny in NW SC doesnt seem a hardship:) Plus its nice that they want to pay me significantly more than I was getting in Belleville.

I suspect I will be picking the collective US brains over the dual taxation thing and "duel intent" as unsurprisingly offspring #1 has no desire to leave her canadian life and education in favour of starting again in the US. Until we figure out how she can achieve her goals in the US system (Flying with the Air Cadets, Education at RMC and then flying for the canadian forces) its possible that she will finish high school here, which is potentially 3 more years of stradling the border. I guess thats fine on a temp resident TN visa, but not going to work on a green card.
Offspring #2 looked at the weather forecast and basically was like "When can we leave Dad"
So life has gotten complicated but Im excited by the move to a great new company , new location and new possibilites! Plus there are loads of cheap convertibles on the Greenville craigslist and Im long overdue a midlife crisis.

dbd33 Nov 10th 2017 1:24 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 12379054)
So life has gotten complicated but Im excited by the move to a great new company , new location and new possibilites! Plus there are loads of cheap convertibles on the Greenville craigslist and Im long overdue a midlife crisis.

Enjoy it, you lucky bastard.

iaink Nov 10th 2017 1:45 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12379065)
Enjoy it, you lucky bastard.

LOL, but on the debit side of the ledger, with 12 months of decent weather I expect Ill start to golf a lot more:o

Partially discharged Nov 10th 2017 8:34 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 12379081)
LOL, but on the debit side of the ledger, with 12 months of decent weather I expect Ill start to golf a lot more:o

Golf, a deep interest in C & W music, believing that South of the Border is a true look at Mexican urbanity, Nascar, agreeing with Donald Trump, dropping the letter 'u' in many words, getting interested in college football (the 4 downs variety), and joining a mega-church glass cathedral type congregation. Other than that it all sounds great. On a day like this morning (-11 c in Ottawa) year round no cold does have its appeal. If it ever does snow there you'll be the expert on how to drive with your neighbours.

Seriously, good luck.

Novocastrian Nov 10th 2017 9:33 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12379378)
Golf, a deep interest in C & W music, believing that South of the Border is a true look at Mexican urbanity, Nascar, agreeing with Donald Trump, dropping the letter 'u' in many words, getting interested in college football (the 4 downs variety), and joining a mega-church glass cathedral type congregation. Other than that it all sounds great. On a day like this morning (-11 c in Ottawa) year round no cold does have its appeal. If it ever does snow there you'll be the expert on how to drive with your neighbours.

Seriously, good luck.

Spoilsport. At least it's warmer than Belleville. And they have bigger dollars.

iaink Nov 10th 2017 9:41 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?
 

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12379378)
If it ever does snow there you'll be the expert on how to drive with your neighbours.

Seriously, good luck.

Without snow tires I'll need it:eek:

Have we had the annual snow tire thread yet?:huh:


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:52 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.