British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What is a decent salary? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-decent-salary-905427/)

frenchie82 Nov 3rd 2017 9:07 pm

What is a decent salary?

hi again everyone, I feel like I'm constantly posting on here so bear with me......my husband will have his formal job offer arriving beginning of next week for a inter company transfer to the GTA. He has been told by the canadian boss that it will be minimum 80000 CAD plus company car. Is this a good salary for a family of 4? This will be a minimum total salary as my plan is to also work but want to wait until our children are settled before rushing to work but just wondered if this salary was decent enough to start with?

We would be looking at renting a 3 bed house around Burlington but happy to look at Kitchener also.

Any help greatly appreciated.......again!

dbd33 Nov 3rd 2017 9:29 pm

Re: What is a decent salary?

Originally Posted by frenchie82 (Post 12374342)
hi again everyone, I feel like I'm constantly posting on here so bear with me......my husband will have his formal job offer arriving beginning of next week for a inter company transfer to the GTA. He has been told by the canadian boss that it will be minimum 800000 CAD plus company car. Is this a good salary for a family of 4? This will be a minimum total salary as my plan is to also work but want to wait until our children are settled before rushing to work but just wondered if this salary was decent enough to start with?

We would be looking at renting a 3 bed house around Burlington but happy to look at Kitchener also.

800,000 is quite a lot. On that money you could eat out every week.

frenchie82 Nov 3rd 2017 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12374360)
800,000 is quite a lot. On that money you could eat out every week.

I wish it was that much.......:rofl:my brain is frazzled. Obviously meant to say 80000 CAD!

UPSY Nov 3rd 2017 10:05 pm

We are a family of 4 with 2 school age children and could not live on that wage in the GTA, not sure about kitchener,

The GTA is expensive, I would try push for more if you can.
Your take home pay per month will be about 4800, Rent could easily take up half of that.
If your living out of Toronto (TTC) you will need to run a car as well as your partner (we don't own one so not sure of the cost)

I note you said you may start working too, you will have to look at the cost of daycare for after school and for the long summer (unless the kids are old enough to stay home alone) - I found this cost eye watering for acceptable programs and decided it was cheaper to stay home.

Statham2016 Nov 3rd 2017 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by frenchie82 (Post 12374342)
hi again everyone, I feel like I'm constantly posting on here so bear with me......my husband will have his formal job offer arriving beginning of next week for a inter company transfer to the GTA. He has been told by the canadian boss that it will be minimum 80000 CAD plus company car. Is this a good salary for a family of 4? This will be a minimum total salary as my plan is to also work but want to wait until our children are settled before rushing to work but just wondered if this salary was decent enough to start with?

Yes that is a decent wage, and if it is to be topped up by your extra income you should be fine in regards to 'surviving'.
You would certainly get a bit more for your money in Kitchener, but there is a reason for that.

frenchie82 Nov 3rd 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks for the info. Yes he will be pushing for more regardless of what gets offered. He will get getting a company car so at least there will only be one car that we need to pay for.

frenchie82 Nov 3rd 2017 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Statham2016 (Post 12374381)
Yes that is a decent wage, and if it is to be topped up by your extra income you should be fine in regards to 'surviving'.
You would certainly get a bit more for your money in Kitchener, but there is a reason for that.

Thanks for the info. Would be interested to know the reasons for Kitchener?

Siouxie Nov 3rd 2017 10:46 pm

Burlington rental prices have gone up a lot over the past year or so, you can expect to have to pay $1900-$2500 for a 3 bedroom house.

https://www.rentcompass.com/burlington-houses-for-rent

I don't think 80k for family of 4 living in Toronto would be enough, but if you are going to live outside of Toronto it may be. Have you checked the expected salary is the average/above average (glassdoor or indeed.ca would help you ascertain this) for Toronto?

You can use the taxtips calculator to work out his nett income: TaxTips.ca - Basic Canadian Income Tax Calculator for 2017 and earlier years

He may be liable for tax on the company car, I believe.. and I wouldn't want to be driving to Toronto every day - so perhaps look for somewhere near to the GoTrain or similar? Do make sure you will get 'benefits' (dental, medical, medications, glasses) included!

:)

Statham2016 Nov 3rd 2017 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by frenchie82 (Post 12374396)
Thanks for the info. Would be interested to know the reasons for Kitchener?

I suppose basically, in my opinion Burlington would be nicer place to live compared to Kitchener.

Where would your husband be working? Commute times will be, or should be a big consideration

Danny B Nov 4th 2017 12:02 am

No one on this forum would get out of bed for less than $150k a year.

$200k if you live in Vancouver :rolleyes:

Oink Nov 4th 2017 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12374431)
No one on this forum would get out of bed for less than $150k a year.

$200k if you live in Vancouver :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone would bother to move to Canada for much less.

Yorkiechef Nov 4th 2017 12:59 am

When converted to sterling, I'm on 3x what I earned in uk. But it took me a year and two changes of employer to get that. If you live in Calgary, almost everyone things they are entitled to and should earn over $100k for unskilled work. Amazes me! Clearly many don't.

For your information, truck drivers will earn substantially more than $80k

Pulaski Nov 4th 2017 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12374443)
I don't think anyone would bother to move to Canada for much less.

I have been slapped for saying similar things in the US forum, with San Francisco and greater NYC being the areas that $200k really doesn't go very far even though it sounds like silly money. The truth however is that a family of four will be watching their pennies on $100k even in a relatively lower cost area, and won't be able to afford much of a holiday or return to the UK every year.

Oink Nov 4th 2017 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12374476)
I have been slapped for saying similar things in the US forum, with San Francisco and greater NYC being the areas that $200k really doesn't go very far even though it sounds like silly money. The truth however is that a family of four will be watching their pennies on $100k even in a relatively lower cost area, and won't be able to afford much of a holiday or return to the UK every year.

It's not just that. Who'd move to Canada from the UK and put up with rubbish schools, climate, restaurants and the general dull naffness of the place unless you were going to a make a packet?

Siouxie Nov 4th 2017 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12374490)
It's not just that. Who'd move to Canada from the UK and put up with rubbish schools, climate, restaurants and the general dull naffness of the place unless you were going to a make a packet?

For the OP's sake, it should be mentioned that OInk tends to be a bit of a wind-up merchant... take what he says with a very large pinch of salt!

:p